Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need a new single 12" combo amp

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I had a YGM3 for a while . . . and while it was a lovely sounding amp for what it did, there were certainly drawbacks. The biggest one was that it just flat out doesn't work as a practice amp. There's no effects loop, and it kinda sounds like poo until it's up above yelling volume.
    ha. I love those amps but many are sealed with a weird Canadian torx or Robertson screw head to get into the back and see the speaker in a store -which annoys me because when I play them in a store and the they sound different or not as expected, I want to know what speaker is loaded or what mod was done -as you know Traynors are one of the most modded and tweaked amp because .....well they are the easiest to in most cases because of the layout and access. but those damn screws in a Guitarmate drive me crazy,
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-28-2020, 09:31 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

have you tried a Roland Bolt? most people don't like the overdrive channel (although I find you can coax nice low gain tones out of it), but the clean channel is to die for - clear even with the volume dimed, which you'll rarely have to do (it can get so loud)

they're all 1x12 but you can get a 30,60, or 100 (denoting the number of watts). I've got one and I'm rarely above a three on the volume.

has an effects loop, reverb, footswitch to turn the overdrive on or off etc. - the works

It's a solid state preamp, but tube power - so you get a solid state kinda overdrive, but then on the clean channel, a beautiful tube sound. really great for jazz/surf/anything clean, and as soon as you need gain, just chuck a couple of pedals in front and you're there. if you really want that tube sound, get a pedal with a tube on it.

Comment

Reggie, if you can come up with the freight you can have my Mustang III for free. It's a great amp.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
          Reggie, if you can come up with the freight you can have my Mustang III for free. It's a great amp.
          there ya go

solution in hand
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            there ya go

solution in hand
            I can't think of anyone more deserving.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              ha. I love those amps but many are sealed with a weird Canadian torx or Robertson screw head to get into the back and see the speaker in a store -which annoys me because when I play them in a store and the they sound different or not as expected, I want to know what speaker is loaded or what mod was done -as you know Traynors are one of the most modded and tweaked amp because .....well they are the easiest to in most cases because of the layout and access. but those damn screws in a Guitarmate drive me crazy,
              I'm sorry man . . . but the Robertson screw head is the greatest invention in screwing since birth control. I have no idea why you backwards Americans haven't adopted them wholesale and still insist on stupid Phillips or slot for most things. :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I'm sorry man . . . but the Robertson screw head is the greatest invention in screwing since birth control. I have no idea why you backwards Americans haven't adopted them wholesale and still insist on stupid Phillips or slot for most things. :P
                friggin Canadians
                all about being so right and stuff
                EHD

Comment

hmm I see the duck on my phone but not on the PC
                  EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Eh, just play direct to the sound board. It’s what page did, it's what I've started doing. Amps are just for old fogeys who won't let go of the past.

But seriously, in that price range, see if you can't find a Johnson Millenium combo. It's the only good modeling amp I've ever played. It's got tubes (although some of the best tones are pure solid state), the least powerful model has 150 watts, and they are tragically underpriced. Only downside is it weighs ~80 lbs for 212, but I've learned to come to terms with the heft and size of my Johnson.
                    Illegal.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
                    -
                    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Working...
                    X