Back of stain guitar neck sticky after playing a lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back of stain guitar neck sticky after playing a lot

The goal is to bring the sticky polished finish to a rougher but still smooth grit. Either sand paper or scotch brite will work. Anything from 320 - 1000s depending on your preference.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      The goal is to bring the sticky polished finish to a rougher but still smooth grit. Either sand paper or scotch brite will work. Anything from 320 - 1000s depending on your preference.
      Probably worth noting that depending on where you buy your sandpaper the grits numbers refer to different things. I used CAMI 400 grit, which is about where a P600 or P800 grit would be.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Probably worth noting that depending on where you buy your sandpaper the grits numbers refer to different things. I used CAMI 400 grit, which is about where a P600 or P800 grit would be.
        I did not know that. Most of the time, I buy multi-packs of 3M from work, but I also go buy single sheets from Rural King or the local hardware store. I'll have to make sure to pay attention to the grit nomenclature.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'm sure both work just the same. Just depends who's doing the sanding what the result will be.

I use sandpaper because it's cheap and I always have a stock of it at hand.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

800 grit (and higher) sandpaper is what’s used when rubbing out a lacquer finish.

You want to wet sand. Soak the paper in some soapy water over night. The water stops the paper from clogging.

And don’t press very hard!

I go all the way up to 2000 grit when polishing a finish.

Also consider some kind of polish or wax on the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use Scotchbrite pads and have good luck with them. Steel wool works great, it's just a PITA because it's so messy, especially when when the "dust" gets in your pickups. I've used sandpaper on necks, prefer the Scotchbrite, but either will work as long as you don't let the sandpaper load up.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                800 grit (and higher) sandpaper is what’s used when rubbing out a lacquer finish.

You want to wet sand. Soak the paper in some soapy water over night. The water stops the paper from clogging.

And don’t press very hard!

I go all the way up to 2000 grit when polishing a finish.

Also consider some kind of polish or wax on the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The idea is to get the neck comfy to play. I suspect that wet sanding up to 2000 would end up back where you started in that regard.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Thanks guys for all the replies. Satin guitar necks might look cool but since they polish up just like gloss they just become a PITA after a while and would rather have a tung oil finish guitar that was really smooth to play on and not sticky. Is this hard to do and is there any special tung oil you need to put on the neck to make it friendly for playing and not be toxic? I'll try the scotchbright pads and the sandpaper first, I've only tried steel wool so far. Also I have no idea why but the forum didn't tell me this had any replies even though I had it sent to email me.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Forget the steel wool (it's evil, anyway) and the sandpaper. Get some Scotchbrite (light gray or maroon is fine). Simply scuff up and down the neck a few times with the stuff until the shiny goes away. VIOLA!

These the ones you're talking about?

Comment

These the ones you're talking about?
                      The maroon is correct. You have the dark gray there - very rough, great when using chemical strippers on finishes. You want light gray - very fine. Don't forget any ACE, big box, or hardware store should have this stuff in stock. Easy to see what to buy then....
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
                        Thanks guys for all the replies. Satin guitar necks might look cool but since they polish up just like gloss they just become a PITA after a while and would rather have a tung oil finish guitar that was really smooth to play on and not sticky. Is this hard to do and is there any special tung oil you need to put on the neck to make it friendly for playing and not be toxic? I'll try the scotchbright pads and the sandpaper first, I've only tried steel wool so far. Also I have no idea why but the forum didn't tell me this had any replies even though I had it sent to email me.
                        Watco Danish oil great and (AFAIK) non-toxic once it's dried/sunk in. Worst case scenario, if you over sand the satin finish down you can always throw some of that on there and not worry about it again. :P
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          The maroon is correct. You have the dark gray there - very rough, great when using chemical strippers on finishes. You want light gray - very fine. Don't forget any ACE, big box, or hardware store should have this stuff in stock. Easy to see what to buy then....

That's a good point, I'll stop by Ace on the way home to check it out

Comment

Working...
                          X