Godin users unite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Godin users unite

How do you like the Montreal Premiere? How does it compare to a 335? I was considering that guitar or the original version Montreal for some traditional jazz sounds in a smaller body.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's been a long while since I spent any real time with a 335 but the two guitars are very different. The stock pickups aren't bad at all but they are warm and laid back and you immediately think "jazz". And it's really light, which kind of adds to that impression of it being for mellower styles. Getting past that, the guitar is pretty versatile. It does lean toward the blues and jazz side, not a shredders axe (obviously) but it rocks too. Messing around, I've had some fun with feedback :-). 335 probably better for the harder styles with the middle ground being players choice and maybe the Godin getting the nod for jazzy stuff ... but I say that not being much of a jazz player. My take anyway.

Comment

Nice review. My style is more jazz fusion, which I am using a solidbody for right now. I was looking at a Godin, as a 335 is a little too big for me, and a 339 sounds more like a Les Paul than a 335 (at least the ones I have tried).

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Nice review. My style is more jazz fusion, which I am using a solidbody for right now. I was looking at a Godin, as a 335 is a little too big for me, and a 339 sounds more like a Les Paul than a 335 (at least the ones I have tried).
          I agree on the 339 ... closer to chambered Paul than a 335 to me too. I think the Godin is right around 14.75" so not as big as a 335 but not going to be mistaken for a solid body. Godin kind of has their own thing going on with a lot of the models. The Montreal Premiere is one of them so it's probably a good idea to play one, especially because they aren't exactly cheap. The lam. Cherry has it's own vibe and the guitar weighs right at 6 lbs., so it's light. One volume, one tone is a deal breaker for some players. And some are definitely going to wish for more comfortable access beyond the 18th or 19th. For me personally, a little better access would be nice but I really love the guitar. Probably worth your checking out if there is a dealer in your area.

Comment

Yeah, it is one of those things that there is enough differences to warrant checking them out. I've always been intrigued by them. No dealers in the area, so if I go to NAMM in the winter, I will play them there.

Comment

Godin users unite

Cool thread. Don't have pics, but have 3 godin's.

Started with a LGX-SA. Wanted a guitar with synth capabilities more than anything. Sold the synth and kept the guitar. Played the heck out of it and it's still going strong.

Then found a LG-SP90 NAMM edition on eBay. Grabbed it up. Same color as the lgx (amber) but with a killer flame top. Don't play this is much as I used to. Thinking of swapping the pu's for something more vintage. It has the ceramic SD p90s.

Then the progression came out. Ordered one without even playing it first. Just like the pics earlier in the thread. Cream with maple fretboard. Loved the tone, but compared to the others it was too "quiet". Unfortunately I decided to sell it. Luckily to a friend. May try and buy it back someday. Or just buy another. With the rosewood fretboard maybe.

Then I saw the Belmont bigsby. Loved the white and black colors and retro shape. Never owned a guitar with lipsticks in it. Found a good deal on a used one. This has probably become my favorite. Learning how to use it's "lower output" pu's, is why I want my progression back. And to swap out the p90s in my lg-sp90. I spent too much time trying hotter pickups when lower output fit me so much better. The one thing I may try is a p90 in the bridge. Right now the 59 just sounds a little muffled compared to the lipsticks. Kind of like I rolled the tone control down to 5 or something. Open to any ideas or suggestions?

Overall I am a huge fan of their guitars. Def sleepers in the price to quality ratio. One of the few brands I can imagine ordering without ever playing. I would never dream of buying almost any guitar without playing it first. Two USA les Paul's can vary a good bit in tone. But I've never picked up a bad godin. And almost anytime I see one in a store I try it.
              Last edited by Cme; 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Not a Godin owner yet, but i am still GAS'ing (big time) after all these years for a 5th Ave Kingpin. (... w single neck P90)

http://sejane-grasis.com/bilder/kingpin.jpg <--- soon !
                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Those Kingpins look like great guitars! I also noticed that some of the older models, like the Jazz and Montreal (not Premier) hold their value really well.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                    Not a Godin owner yet, but i am still GAS'ing (big time) after all these years for a 5th Ave Kingpin. (... w single neck P90)

http://sejane-grasis.com/bilder/kingpin.jpg <--- soon !
                    The local guitar shop had one of those with two pickups. It was all I could do to keep the credit card in the wallet. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Those Kingpins look like great guitars! I also noticed that some of the older models, like the Jazz and Montreal (not Premier) hold their value really well.

NICE . . . always good to know.
                      Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I am happy to see a North American company come out with unique designs. Their Multiac acoustic/electrics sound wonderful, too.

Comment

Godin is an innovative company they are doing great things . They are proving to the World that they can compete with other major companies. They have their own style and are not afraid to put themselves out there , they have many great looking axes and the prices are not cheap, but cheaper than some of the competition, Godin guitars strive on quality. Some of the members here say Godin guitars don't hold value well, if your a collector I can see it matter, but for a musician like myself I don't worry about how much my axe holds value. I look at the bang for the buck if you want a great quality guitar at a reasonable price buy a Godin and play the heck out of it . I would rather do this than overpay for a guitar that isn't better, but has a more known name. Godin is making headway and are getting noticed. My guitars don't sit in the stands or look pretty on the walls they get played.
                          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

I checked and you are right, their 'Summit' line is actually competing w/ Gibson's top of the line models;

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Godin Summit Classic Supreme Ltd Electric Guitar Cognac Burst at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Can it match similar offerings from Japan such as this top of the line ESP?;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 07-25-2017, 10:13 PM.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Played a nice Session model today I may go back and make a deal for

Very well made, really was pretty cool. Reminded me quite a bit of an older Robin model
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	137.6 KB