Yamaha THR5 Mini Amp Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha THR5 Mini Amp Review

I played one today at Guitar Center and thought it was pretty cool so I figure a review is in order. The one I played was the 5 watt version, but there is also a 10w version too. This is pretty small, but I was amazed by the clean channel and volume it produced.

I'm not saying it's loud, but for such a small solid state unit, the clean was ample enough and loud enough for a lot of home/studio activities. I would have expected a little unit like that to have a cruddy speaker breakup but it held together nicely with the volume up to 3/4.

The clean channel was what impressed me the most. It's lush, feels natural and responsive, and has pretty good dynamics for a solid state device. I meant to only spend a few minutes tinkering with it, but I ended up playing with it for about 20 minutes. The tone is very warm and natural and I didn't expect that.

From there I switched to the crunch, then lead, then modern voicings. I noticed a significant volume reduction on the lead channel. The lead channel was like they took all the openness and brilliance of the clean channel, added gain, and compressed it some. There were plenty of good sounds in the gain modes, but they weren't as inspiring as the clean mode.

It has some effects and they blend very nicely with the modes. The volume difference between the clean and gain modes bothers me, but I wonder if there was something wrong with that little amp. If anyone else has played one, let me know if you noticed the same thing.

They're priced at $199 I think, but I have seen a lot of places price them around $175. I think it's a great investment for people who want a good sound but don't need all the amp models and elaborate effects that POD's offer. I didn't play with any of the output options, and haven't looked into it either because I have no plans to get one. However, I think it's a serious contender to the POD for home and studio use, plus it can also be used as a low volume amp that can be carried around on one finger.

Oh yeah, it also glows orange inside but it's just an LED. There aren't any tubes in it. I think that's kind of cheesy, but maybe other people like it.
    Last edited by UberMetalDood; 07-20-2012, 08:01 PM.

Re: Yamaha THR5 Mini Amp Review

I've seen those around..they look pretty cool too....the cheesy orange lights are a nice touch..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Not digging the news about the volume drop on the lead channel. I like to think of clean sounds as piano-mezzo piano sounds, crunch as mezzo-forte to forte, and lead as a fortissimo, as the lead melody should project over most other textures.

That's just me though. The Yammi is going to have to be better than (not as good as) the Roland Micro Cube RX to get me thinking seriously about it.
      Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
      I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Been wondering about these little Yamahas for a while now. Will have to find one to check-out. I used to gig a DG-80 1X12 combo and 1X12 extension cab for a couple of years in the late '90s. Did VERY well except for outdoors, where its lack of clean headroom (compared to tube amps) was a bit of an issue for playing loud country. But the tones even back then were GREAT. It got replaced with a Peavey Classic 50 head, and honestly... the Yamaha was a better-sounding amp for me. The Peavey was [happily] replaced with an H&K Triamp Mk I.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Thank you for your posts! Very interesting!
          Last edited by Nevstavalni; 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM.
          dubli

Comment

They're good practice amps, but after a while you start to miss a 12" speaker pushing air. Still, I like being able to play at 3 in the morning with a decent tone without waking anyone up.

The volume difference between clean and lead is normal. Mine (the 10X) does the same thing.
            Last edited by Drunken Bowling; 04-18-2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
              They're good practice amps, but after a while you start to miss a 12" speaker pushing air. Still, I like being able to play at 3 in the morning with a decent tone without waking anyone up.

The volume difference between clean and lead is normal. Mine (the 10X) does the same thing.
              Good to know. There is usually a volume jump when switching from clean to overdrive on a tube amp, but solid state amps don't have the same kind of circuitry so I wonder if this was overlooked in making it or some reason why it has to be that way.

Comment

No speaker, line, or other outs? Too many other more versatile amp options for this thing to matter.

Comment

^It's a carry along to the park/beach AAx8 battery powered practice alongside mp3 thingy amp. Only other option of this size & features that I can think of is the Roland MIcro Cube, although this one does give you a stereo output & looks nice. It's not meant to compete with SS practice amps that can be used with a drum set. Besides its sound quite good here> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzKOzppQi6k

Comment

Ah, I see

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                      Good to know. There is usually a volume jump when switching from clean to overdrive on a tube amp, but solid state amps don't have the same kind of circuitry so I wonder if this was overlooked in making it or some reason why it has to be that way.
                      I can't be 100% certain, but I think this was intentional, to provide more of a sense of realism.

Comment

Working...
                      X