Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass Tone On Boston Albums

Chris Squire and Geddy Lee.
    Though Geddy later switched to Fender Jazz.
    Oh, and can't forget Lemmy.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      Well after some thought, I guess he did exactly what makes sense, if you think about it -Gibson's EBs LOOK cool but honestly they are terrible compared to most contemporary basses at the time -so he took a cool looking bass and put an amazing pickup in it... makes sense.

I always thought it was interesting that Gibson could make utter trash like most EB basses but also make the Ripper and Thunderbird basses which are just glorious sounding.
      I wouldn’t call a Jazz pickup “amazing.” It’s a very simple average pickup.

Gibson never made great basses, but the old EB series was very distinctive sounding. And it worked for Jack Bruce, Trevor Bolder, Colin Moulding, and others.

Same with Ricks. I’d rather hear those than a Jazz Bass. Too generic sounding. [emoji2]

The Ripper, Grabber, etc., were designed by Bill Lawrence. The Victory bass was pretty cool too. But I guess people never warmed up to them.

Kind of the way Music Man basses were popular but not the guitars.

I used to own this. It was fun to play, but too quirky sounding. And lots of feedback. lol. Traded it for a ‘74 P bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Jazz bass might be generic. But then, I can't forget what Jaco did with one.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Rickenbacker is the best. Praise be to the Ric 4001 and 4003. GOAT of basses.
          I have two ‘73 4001 Basses. Got one of them new when I was 15.

I don’t care for the new Ricks. The necks are like baseball bats and the pickups are overwound. Too dark sounding. Still cool looking though.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            I have two ‘73 4001 Basses. Got one of them new when I was 15.

I don’t care for the new Ricks. The necks are like baseball bats and the pickups are overwound. Too dark sounding. Still cool looking though.

That dual truss rod baseball bat is keeping that neck in the right place though...lol

Even more so than a 4001, the Ric 4003 are definitely an acquired "feel" . they are not the kind of bass an Jass or Pbass player can pick up and like instantly because of the string height, tension, neck profile, radius, etc etc. (It's similar to a 60s Gibson guy picking up a 60s Mosrite or Vintage Fender 7" Radius neck -just strange) but after a couple days, aside from the mid range wooden magical tone they would hear on moment 1, they start to catch on the other thing happening -and even more on a 4003 than the original 4001 , Rickenbacker have a string response against your hammering that makes for a very rhythmic style if you indulge it and time it -it's basically the Chris Squire bouncing between fretting and open string style -The Rics' just have this in spades -and like few other basses -it makes for such a fluid, full and fun way to play music.

Music Man -I had a 78 -I loved the feel of it, but hated how scooped the pickups are with that super pinny highs and giant bottom. Fugazi is the only band I think I liked the way MM Bass sound was used -it worked right for their sound.

I think you are under selling the Jazz pickup -probably because you are an expert at the pickups that came later to improve on it -but in it's day -it was great (Is that an acceptable superlative? )

Never knew Lawrence designed the Ripper and Thunderbird pickups -that explains with they are so different than the EBS. Most EBs are terrible

The bass you have is soooo cool looking -but those style basses -as you know -always seem to look better but not perform better than the solid body alternative. looking cool sometimes costs a heavy price!
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Good passive 80s Japanese Ibanez are better stock than any of the above

Or, with good aftermarket active electronics upgrades, just about anything resonant with a good bridge, good tuning stability, good neck, and good ergonomics... which again tends to make old Japanese Ibanezes into kickazz upgrade candidates
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
              X