Released my instrumental EP today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Released my instrumental EP today

I guess you'd call it post-rock, I just call it "experimental". I released it on my Bandcamp page this morning, but here are some Soundcloud embeds so you can check it out. Let me know what you think!

#1 Moment Of Truth

#2 Strange Byrd

#3 Perpetual

#4 A Hero's Rampage
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Released my instrumental EP today

Payday, I'm buying this. Awesome stuff.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
      Payday, I'm buying this. Awesome stuff.
      Too cool man, glad you liked it! Thanks for taking time to listen.

Comment

Hey AJ! I wrote a song-by-song review the first time I listened to it, maybe a month ago.

It's an opinion review, not a critical review, so there's not much useful "information" in there, just my impressions as I listened for the first time, stream-of-consciousness.

I've listened to it several times since then, it's good for zoning out and working with headphones on.

Oddly enough, I just listened to it yesterday, and then I see this. Odd that it was released yesterday and I happened to listen to it yesterday - the universe, man.

Without further adieu, here is a woefully unedited email I wrote myself about this album a few weeks ago:

A Hero's Rampage: like the groove, very relaxing. Perplexes the name "A Hero's Rampage," because for me, it painted the opposite picture (suggested rename: A Bro's Chillage). I like the fretless bass, and even though the identifiability falls on the sliding "gee whiz, that thar's a fretless!" passages, the bass work in the buildup to climax was extraordinary, lots of good step-up-to-drops, which is totally a real phrase. Guitar work reminded me of Glen Kuykendall's "The Clipper," which is a good thing. Obviously, on 'ludes. Drums didn't stand out on this one to me. My favorite track of the album.

Moment of Truth: Really nice guitar tone. The mood of the bass and atmospherics and guitar make me think of someone having a guilty romantic encounter in a white-blue and dimly lit apartment. That wasn't on my mind before at all (honest, honey. and stop reading these reviews!), so if that's the picture you were painting, great job. Yeah, I realize all of the above is akin to saying "this glass of wine has a nod of hickory with a flip of winter sunlight and just a skirch of non-GMO pomegranate, but not the kind you can buy at the grocery store," but it's what I saw. And music like this is purpose built for painting pictures without words, isn't it? Isn't that the game? It felt sorrowful, and distinctly guilty. I would have liked to hear a full band stop and the drummer open up at the climax and let loose a JAT-JIGGA-DOO JAT-JIGGA-DOO KA-BLOOOOOWWWWWM to punctuate the build-up constructed by the addition of layers, instead of a weird stop-then-launch into a denouement that sounds disjointed with the song and like it was recorded on a different day. It sounds like a different song and killed my boner. The outro itself isn't bad, it's just out of place with the song. Production on this album is very tight and dry, especially for a post-rock album. Even though I didn't care for the outro, I would have liked to have heard the mixing and mastering of the drums breathe and get a lot looser to drive the cathartic energy imparted by the songwriting.

Strange Byrd: I really bought in when the crunch (fuzz?) guitar tones came in. Good sounds from a guitar, nice chord turn at the end of the fuzzy passage, I really got into that. It's always nice to get a style point on your dismount. This song didn't grab me as much as any of the others.

Perpetual: I'm reminded of Paul Masvidal's clean Stratty tones on his Cynic album "Traced In Air," which, when mentioned, usually results in either a tomato being thrown at me, or someone offering me their daughter's hand. Drums sounded a lot more open on this track, which was nice. Nice intersection where the clean guitar and dirty guitar and robots all come together. Slick cool-down to a gentle finish.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Dude, thanks for taking time to write up your thoughts. It's interesting to see/hear how differently people interpret this kind of music.

For example, I've had several people tell me they think "A Hero's Rampage" is a relaxing song. I personally feel that the ending gets really tense and chaotic! It made me picture something like a Spartan cutting a swath through some evil ninja baddies, hence the name.

I've also been curious how people would react to the stop & key change in "Moment of Truth". The last half of that song where it shifts from E to E minor is one of my favorite moments on the record, mostly because of the spacey sound of the lead melody (thanks to heavy use of the DD6's Warp mode, of all things). Side note: that brief pause/breath is the so-called moment of truth.

Strange Byrd is my least favorite tune as well. It turned into a concept tune of sorts. When the drummer heard my guitar tracks he wanted to see how long he could keep the drum part static. I think it wound up giving the song this uneasy/creepy feeling, since the intensity goes up as the layers build but the rhythmic foundation just keep plodding along. It makes me picture someone running in fear from an alien Pterodactyl

Perpetual is my favorite, and the song that I think has the widest appeal. It was the first song that came together and made me decide to put an EP together. Fun fact: my son's heartbeat-in-utero is heard in the early parts of this one. I recorded it at one of my wife's midwife appointments.

Comment

Damn... this is awesome....

You definitely have your own sound. Really like the production. The drum mix is spot on on some of the songs, could maybe be a bit more wet on the others (like moment of truth).

All in all, this has been made with a really good taste and skilfull songwriting.
            Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
            Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
            Musicians are ****ing retards.
            Originally posted by ex-250
            Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by P.A.Foholic View Post
              Damn... this is awesome....

You definitely have your own sound. Really like the production. The drum mix is spot on on some of the songs, could maybe be a bit more wet on the others (like moment of truth).

All in all, this has been made with a really good taste and skilfull songwriting.
              Thanks man! Having a distinct sound is quite a compliment to me. Obviously we all have our influences, and I'm always afraid of sounding too much like some of mine. I guess that's a struggle we all have, though.

This was an interesting project, and I'm surprised at how well it turned out all things considered. I actually wrote/arranged all the songs with the intent of this being a guitar-only "ambient" record. When my friends that wound up playing drums/bass on it heard what I was up to, they wanted to make it full band. They're awesome, so it was a no-brainer. I tracked all the guitar parts at home, finished on 8/1/2013 (self-imposed deadline), and shared them with those guys via Google Drive.

A few weeks later I set up a couple of days to meet with the drummer at our church's studio and we tracked all of his parts. I bounced down a stereo WAV file for each song and sent them to the bass player. He recorded all of his parts at home, so we've never actually played any of these tunes together as a band.

Another friend offered to mix everything, and after a few notes and a couple of passes I was pretty happy. I sent them off to a third party & paid for mastering. That & the album artwork were my only expenses.

Comment

Purchased. Looking forward to putting this on my iPod tonight.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

some tasty mellow stuff there, cool!!!

Comment

Bump for this excellent album.
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                      Bump for this excellent album.
                      Much appreciated . I've got some As Follows playing in the background now.

Comment

Just bought it, can't wait to dive in!
                        ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Just bought it, can't wait to dive in!
                          Thanks for the support! You'll have to let me know what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
                            Thanks for the support! You'll have to let me know what you think.
                            One word. MOAR!

Seriously, it has some really great stuff. The guitar tones are great, the little bits of sonic noise melody like in the first quarter of Perpetual really set it apart. I'm trying to think of the influences, maybe a little This Will Destroy You, some Explosions possibly. But it's definitely not a continuation of their style, it stands on its own very well.

Comment

One word. MOAR!

Seriously, it has some really great stuff. The guitar tones are great, the little bits of sonic noise melody like in the first quarter of Perpetual really set it apart. I'm trying to think of the influences, maybe a little This Will Destroy You, some Explosions possibly. But it's definitely not a continuation of their style, it stands on its own very well.

Thanks so much dude, those are very kind words. I'm definitely a big TWDY fan. Other bands in my playlist right now include Tides of Man (their latest record is INCREDIBLE), Vorcha, God Is An Astronaut, and Maserati.

Also, I'm already writing new stuff and plan to do a full-length release next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X