banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Pretty self explanatory.

Show off what's on your workbench!

I'm gonna go restring my MIJ '62RI and change out the graphtech string savers saddles for ye olde bent steelies and perhaps set up the trem to go back to floating mode instead of locked down. Pics to come.

Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

Originally posted by CTN View Post
    Pretty self explanatory.

Show off what's on your workbench!

I'm gonna go restring my MIJ '62RI and change out the graphtech string savers saddles for ye olde bent steelies and perhaps set up the trem to go back to floating mode instead of locked down. Pics to come.
    I have two, maybe 3 that are pending some work.

#3: I don't have any pictures currently (and I'm out of town for the weekend), but I'm thinking about mag-swapping the Phat Cats in my SG. I generally like them, but the A2 EQ curve makes me stabby every time I play it plugged in. I really need to order some magnets and get to work.

#2 Need to rewire & swap necks on my Tele:

Some of you guys may remember this ugly thing from a few years ago. The vibramate is gone, the Bigsby is on my SG, I put a SM-1 in the neck, and I installed a brass Andy Summers style bridge. I recently found that the previous owner wired the switch so wrong that I'm honestly shocked it produced sound at all, so I need to install a new 3-way switch. I also swapped the useless GFS 'locking' tuners for a set of Jackson-branded Gotohs. The last two things I want to do are swap the el-cheapo mystery neck for a rosewood Blacktop Tele neck I just bought off ebay and replace that fugly pickguard with a 3-ply black one.

#1 Need to rewire my 335:

I really hate working on semi-hollows, so I've been putting this one off for the better part of 2 years. It sounds great unplugged, but like most A2s I just don't get along with the '57 Classics. I have 4 new 500K pots, a pair of nickel '59s, and .015/.022 orange drops that I'll be wiring 50s style.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have this one here I'm working on.

Comment

This guitar has been "in the works" for years now. Life changes are hopefully going to allow me to actually finish it up this summer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	5777731

I designed this body shape years ago when I was in school and have built 3 guitars using it...all set necks & the first two were all Korina. This one, #3, will be all walnut with an ebony board. I've got some EVO wire and the bridge will be a TOM set up in a somewhat unique way.

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	5777733

I bought this guitar on a whim one day, with the idea of upgrading it a bit. Well, so far I've taken all the finish off the body (over 1/32" thick!!) & cut down & reshaped the long, upper horn. This guitar will get new frets, a thinner finish & all new hardware. Why? I don't know... The plan as of now is for this to be my "strat" guitar.

Comment

My beloved but very damaged ML is on the bench right now. The lacquer finish on the neck was getting soft and tacky, the cracks in the body finish plus the fact I could easily see headstock repair all told me it was time to do a refinish. I feel BrianS's pain on thick finishes. The finish on the body of my ML is equally as thick and taking forever to strip. On the bright side the finish is much thinner on the neck.

Name:	IMG-20140510-00019.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	5777742
          For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

Comment

I'm lacing mesh heads onto my Alesis e-drums. Screen door mesh and mason line with a big fat upholstery needle.

off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
            Originally posted by Funkfingers
            Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

No radius
              25.5 scale
              jumbo ss frets
              mahogany and maple
              reverse headstock

And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it

I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                I have two, maybe 3 that are pending some work.

#3: I don't have any pictures currently (and I'm out of town for the weekend), but I'm thinking about mag-swapping the Phat Cats in my SG. I generally like them, but the A2 EQ curve makes me stabby every time I play it plugged in. I really need to order some magnets and get to work.

#2 Need to rewire & swap necks on my Tele:

Some of you guys may remember this ugly thing from a few years ago. The vibramate is gone, the Bigsby is on my SG, I put a SM-1 in the neck, and I installed a brass Andy Summers style bridge. I recently found that the previous owner wired the switch so wrong that I'm honestly shocked it produced sound at all, so I need to install a new 3-way switch. I also swapped the useless GFS 'locking' tuners for a set of Jackson-branded Gotohs. The last two things I want to do are swap the el-cheapo mystery neck for a rosewood Blacktop Tele neck I just bought off ebay and replace that fugly pickguard with a 3-ply black one.

#1 Need to rewire my 335:

I really hate working on semi-hollows, so I've been putting this one off for the better part of 2 years. It sounds great unplugged, but like most A2s I just don't get along with the '57 Classics. I have 4 new 500K pots, a pair of nickel '59s, and .015/.022 orange drops that I'll be wiring 50s style.
                Nice! Yeah, working on hollowbodies is the worst thing ever. Even knowing how to do it doesn't make it any easier. Accompanying the work with beer is usually a good way to make it suck less though lol.

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                This guitar has been "in the works" for years now. Life changes are hopefully going to allow me to actually finish it up this summer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54577[/ATTACH]

I designed this body shape years ago when I was in school and have built 3 guitars using it...all set necks & the first two were all Korina. This one, #3, will be all walnut with an ebony board. I've got some EVO wire and the bridge will be a TOM set up in a somewhat unique way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54579[/ATTACH]

I bought this guitar on a whim one day, with the idea of upgrading it a bit. Well, so far I've taken all the finish off the body (over 1/32" thick!!) & cut down & reshaped the long, upper horn. This guitar will get new frets, a thinner finish & all new hardware. Why? I don't know... The plan as of now is for this to be my "strat" guitar.
                I remember that body! Gorgeous piece of wood you have for that top. Is that a flamed walnut top or something else?
                Post a couple of pics of your work on the "strat" guitar too!

Originally posted by ThunderLizard View Post
                My beloved but very damaged ML is on the bench right now. The lacquer finish on the neck was getting soft and tacky, the cracks in the body finish plus the fact I could easily see headstock repair all told me it was time to do a refinish. I feel BrianS's pain on thick finishes. The finish on the body of my ML is equally as thick and taking forever to strip. On the bright side the finish is much thinner on the neck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54590[/ATTACH]
                Hmmm.. Sounds like your guitar is experiencing a lot of temperature and potentially humidity fluctuations as well. It looks nice though. How are you planning on refinishing it?

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
                  I'm lacing mesh heads onto my Alesis e-drums. Screen door mesh and mason line with a big fat upholstery needle.

off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
                  I am intrigued. Why are you doing this?

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                  HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

No radius
                  25.5 scale
                  jumbo ss frets
                  mahogany and maple
                  reverse headstock

And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it

I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........
                  Raton. What do you have left to do on the fullmap?

and what's the plan (Hardware/electronics) for virtus?

Comment

Raton. What do you have left to do on the fullmap?

and what's the plan (Hardware/electronics) for virtus?
                    Fullmap is being finished with wipe on poly atm, Its really killing me i have reached a point where i just want it finished because so much of my time and effort has gone into it and now the final finish is breaking my balls open. Last time i use that minwax poly ****.

Virtus was planned to use a rg550xh neck simulator preamp but i think i will save them for another build. I have two bkp sinners i will put in instead. Both will use a 3d6 bridge.

Comment

I am intrigued. Why are you doing this?
                      playability.
                      The concept of eDrums is very sound and the technology has caught up, for the most part. The main problem, aside from the sounds the drum brain is capable of making, is the feel of the drums themselves. The lower-end eDrums are bad enough to make a person not want to play drums at all. They're essentially on par with Guitar Hero drums (and I know how to mod those to have them work as eDrums too).

The top Alesis models came with "realhead" drum pads instead of the rubber hockey pucks. These were a big step up as far as feel quality but were waaaaay off the mark Roland put down with their mesh heads.

Come to find out that you can take the old mylar heads off the Alesis ones and install mesh heads on them, which dramatically increase the liveliness of the drum to make it feel more like a real drum, and lower the sound output of the stick thwacking up against a piece of metal-backed plastic. I priced those out and was ready to take the $120 plunge to get a set of Remos or a set of small-business pre-made heads when I found a youtube that went a step further...

Dog-proof screen door mesh and a thick string to sew it with. Take the old mylar heads off and slice the head part from the ring, then sew a couple of layers of the mesh on. Fiddle with the underpadding in the drum a bit and put it back on like normal, and viola a mesh head on par with the Roland ones I've played, only it's $20 for enough mesh to do all the drums and $3 for enough mason line instead of paying $400-$600 per mesh drum from Roland.

It's really the difference in taking 5 year old, crusty 11s off and replacing them with slick 9s. Once you get used to the new velocities you feel like a god of bending and solos.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Not a build, but here's a whole buncha pictures. Because people like pictures.

Here's the ol' gal. My first electric ever. I've replaced the pickups a buncha times, replaced the pickguard once. Replaced the electronics LOTS of times. It's all dinged up, much to blueman's horror. Here are some of the dings. Today my mission was to take off the graphtech saddles, replace em with bent steel. I also randomly decided to replace the 250k volume with a 500k, and while I was at it, I gave it a full setup specifically for tremolo madness.

Here's all the dings and dents for Blueman and DreX, because I DO WHA' I WANT!!! :

So first thing, off come the old strings, and then off comes the neck (Because it's a vintage style heel-adjust truss rod).

I had a look at the nut. It looked like crap.

Closeups (through my magnifying eyeglasses):

Yeah, they'd need work. Got out the set of files and cleaned out the slots, reshaped a few of them in the Dan Erlewine style, and reshaped the top, sides and back of the nut so the edges were smooth instead of sharp.

Then I cleaned off the fretboard, rubbed it down with steel wool to polish the frets, cleaned the fretboard again, and oiled it. (no pics of that, sorry).
                        Next I got the pickguard off and replaced the volume pot. Here's the new one.

While I had the bridge off the body to replace the saddles, I had a look at the knife edges. Or lack thereof. They are actually quite ledge-shaped. Poo.

Anyway, saddles replaced, and body cleaned up.

Onto the restringing and setup. I discovered that this neck is in fact a 7.25" radius, not 9.5" as I had thought all these years! Holy crap.

Got her strung up, adjusted the bridge radius, action and intonation.

One last check that everything was cool at the nut (everything was cool)

And donezo!
                        Last edited by CTN; 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Is that a flamed walnut top or something else?
                          Yes. As you can see in the pic, the center of the bookmatched top is lighter colored than the edges. That is "white" wood, or I think some folks might call it sap wood. At any rate, due to the color variation we can't use it to build harps, so I took it home and put to some good use. Not sure if I'll dye it or leave it. It's about a 1/4" thick. The body is also walnut, but a much lighter weight piece. Walnut can vary greatly in its density from tree to tree, and I was happy to find a nice, light, clear grained board for the body. I also found a perfectly quartersawn board that I used for the neck blank. I think I'll have several nice neck blanks from that board!

Here's a couple pics of the Aria in its current state. I used heat and a chisel to get the finish off (not a fan of chemical stripper). HUGE PITA. I guess you could describe the body as a "bread board"...7 pieces total. Not sure what wood species they used. I think I like it better without that long upper horn it originally had.

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	5777744

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5777745

Comment

Hmmm.. Sounds like your guitar is experiencing a lot of temperature and potentially humidity fluctuations as well. It looks nice though. How are you planning on refinishing it?
                            Actually the finish on that guitar had issues early on. A few months after I had it built for me a bubble about the size of a half dollar formed in the finish on the back of the lower horn. That broke and exposed bare wood. A few years after that I let my brother borrow the guitar for a winter. He let it freeze overnight, was running late for a gig, opened the case while the guitar was frozen solid and CRACK there went the rest of the finish. The beautiful blueburst became a greenburst within 3 weeks and the neck paint started softening and shedding on my hand as I played it. Then a couple of years ago it was sitting on a stand and my daughter and a friend knocked it off snapping the headstock.

The looks of the mahogany underneath has me thinking the guitar may just be refinished with a clear coat and just be done. Still thinking about a pickup change on it and am intrigued with how a Whole Lotta Humbucker would sound in it.
                            For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                              Yes. As you can see in the pic, the center of the bookmatched top is lighter colored than the edges. That is "white" wood, or I think some folks might call it sap wood. At any rate, due to the color variation we can't use it to build harps, so I took it home and put to some good use. Not sure if I'll dye it or leave it. It's about a 1/4" thick. The body is also walnut, but a much lighter weight piece. Walnut can vary greatly in its density from tree to tree, and I was happy to find a nice, light, clear grained board for the body. I also found a perfectly quartersawn board that I used for the neck blank. I think I'll have several nice neck blanks from that board!
                              You sure got a looker, that's for sure. I feel like it's easier to see the flame on the sapwood so it's more crazy looking in those sections, and where it transitions to the heartwood it looks almost like black limba. beautiful!

Here's a couple pics of the Aria in its current state. I used heat and a chisel to get the finish off (not a fan of chemical stripper). HUGE PITA. I guess you could describe the body as a "bread board"...7 pieces total. Not sure what wood species they used. I think I like it better without that long upper horn it originally had.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54602[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54603[/ATTACH]
                              Gnarly! looks almost like those old Ibanez Roadstars. I totally know what you mean about the heat gun though. suuuuuuuuuuch a huge pain.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X