"Best" Tuning Machine Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best" Tuning Machine Heads

What are you favorite Tuning Machine Heads/brands for bass? Have you ever upgraded/replaced one on a bass?

Re: "Best" Tuning Machine Heads

Schallers have ruled forever for a reason.
    But brands like Hipshot are fantastic, too.
    If you're budget minded - Gotoh.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Longcat and I upgraded all of our basses' tuning machines. The Spectors and Ibanez have Gotoh GB7s while the Squier Bronco has Hipshot Ultralights.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Schallers have ruled forever for a reason.
        But brands like Hipshot are fantastic, too.
        If you're budget minded - Gotoh.
        Have to disagree there. Schallers are decent, but over-priced in the US at least.

Longcat's Spector Euro had Schaller M4s, but the Gotohs on there now are smoother and more precise. Stuart Spector seems to agree as the Spector USA line switched from Schallers to Gotohs in the early 90s.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I really like Schallers and Gotohs...I wouldn't call Gotoh budget minded in terms of a "compromise" based off of price...

Comment

My favorites for bass are Hipshot Ultralights. I also have Gotoh on a few basses and Schaller on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I put one of those hipshot extenders on on of my basses, and it's a POS. The extender works fine, but the actual "tuner" part is grindy and harsh. Hipshot never answered any of my inquires so I just live with it. My bass is MIM so I'm limited as to what I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
                I really like Schallers and Gotohs...I wouldn't call Gotoh budget minded in terms of a "compromise" based off of price...
                I agree 100%

I've replaced the machines on several of my basses, mostly with Schallers. I have Gotoh GB7s on my Warmoth and those are great. That bass always seems spot on whenever I go to tune it.

My MIM '62 RI Fender Jazz neck came preloaded with Fender reverse tuners; those are surprisingly good.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                  Maybe it's just me, but I put one of those hipshot extenders on on of my basses, and it's a POS. The extender works fine, but the actual "tuner" part is grindy and harsh. Hipshot never answered any of my inquires so I just live with it. My bass is MIM so I'm limited as to what I can get.
                  I'd call them. They have great customer service.
                  I lost a mounting screw and they gave me a bunch for free.

I haven't used their Fender style tuners, but the Ultra Lights are real smooth. I get order a set of Rick tuners for a guy in the Beatles show Rain. They seemed to be good quality.

Sometimes you just need to break in the brass gear. Then they smooth out. Spertzels do that sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                    I'd call them. They have great customer service.
                    I lost a mounting screw and they gave me a bunch for free.

I haven't used their Fender style tuners, but the Ultra Lights are real smooth. I get order a set of Rick tuners for a guy in the Beatles show Rain. They seemed to be good quality.

Sometimes you just need to break in the brass gear. Then they smooth out. Spertzels do that sometimes.

+1

They replaced an ancient, broken Gotoh GB-7 extender key for free for me last year.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      +1

They replaced an ancient, broken Gotoh GB-7 extender key for free for me last year.
                      Customer service like that goes a LONG way! Glad they helped you out!

Comment

Cheers guys! But remember, they never responded. So.............

Comment

Cheers guys! But remember, they never responded. So.............
                          Talking about Hipshot correct?

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Yep.
                              Just out of curiosity, have you tried more than one medium?

I'm in no way doubting your story–just asking if you've tried all of the options available–e-mail, phone call, dealers, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X