Low wattage Marshall JCM800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Low wattage Marshall JCM800

I’ve been eyeing a dual 6V6 JCM-800 clone that’s like 20W for a while now. I played through it & honestly I liked it better than an actual modern JCM-800. I’m pretty sure that I’ll end up taking it but I’m going to have to get rid of something else first....

My house has reached maximum capacity for amplifiers & I think one more may turn the place into a Monty Python sketch???
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

You can find a used Friedman Runt, which is a 20 watt head, for under $1000, but it doesn't have any power switching options.
      "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Actually, it sounds like a simple DSL20HR is what you need. And it’ll be far FAR below your budget..,especially used.
        1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
        2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
        2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
        2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
        2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
        -------
        1979 Marshall JMP 2204
        1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
        2021 Epic Amplification AR50
        2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
          Actually, it sounds like a simple DSL20HR is what you need. And it’ll be far FAR below your budget..,especially used.
          And its EL34 powered. I would be skeptical of any EL84 or 6V6 powered alternatives for 800 type tone.

Comment

This one is amazing -and legit and expensive. SV20 series

But switchable 20W or 5 beadroom Watts of pure Marshall Plexi tone. with effects loops!

Thanks to Devastone for catching my model number error

Nailed it -it smokes.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-04 11.06.54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5817501

or 1x12 Combo

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-04 11.08.14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	5817500
            Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-04-2019, 10:16 AM.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              This one is amazing -and legit and expensive.
              I think you meant INexpensive, right? I haven't tried the Origin, but isn't it more Plexi-ish on the gain range than JCM800?

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                I think you meant INexpensive, right? I haven't tried the Origin, but isn't it more Plexi-ish on the gain range than JCM800?
                Whoops hahaha. I meant the SV20 series.. the expensive series -Wow.

Editing now!

The SV20 blew my mind
                Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-04-2019, 10:11 AM.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  Whoops hahaha. I meant the SV20 series.. the expensive series -Wow.

Editing now!

The SV20 blew my mind
                  Dude, you seriously have a Plexi-track mind! I think for JCM800 goodness he would want the SC20:

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Dude, you seriously have a Plexi-track mind! I think for JCM800 goodness he would want the SC20:

Haha. amazing. I didn't even know about the mini 800.

I do prefer the Plexi Vintage because I create a lot of drive before the amp.

I've played the SV20H -it's really amazing. I'm sure the mini 800 is too.

I'm sure you can empathize, but at some point you have all the Vintage and modern gear you need, so your not walking stores or scouring websites for newer versions -so I'm mostly exposed to people either showing me at gigs or this forum. So there's lots of gear that I don't know about.

Comment

i mentioned those in post 8. guess i need to post pics to get peoples attention

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i mentioned those in post 8. guess i need to post pics to get peoples attention
                        I read yours, but I forgot, it was more than 24 hours ago, besides, needed to give NE a hard time. I would love to check one of those out, I had a small box British green 50W JCM800 head back in the day, one of those amps I should have kept and put away.
                        Last edited by devastone; 11-15-2019, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Ceriatone 2202, about $652 new, and that includes shipping if you go through guitarampsusa.com

The Ceriatone British Style 2202 HW is a low wattage, feature-laden champion of tone and value. The 2202 started with the preamp of our 2203HW and 2204HW, but we added some features to make a timeless design even more flexible.

I don't now if it meets your channel requirements. The price I listed includes tubes in a head format. There are options in terms of head, chassis only, combo, tubes/no tubes, etc.

Comment

Apparently those 20W Marshalls still peel paint, even at 5W.

The mini Plexi stack looks so good though.....
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              That's a bit exaggerated. 5W isn't "quiet", and you couldn't get away with it in an apartment without an attenuator, but it's perfectly appropriate for a loud afternoon/evening in the living room of a suburban house.

20W is where you'll probably think "I really should be using ear plugs with this..."

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The mini Plexi stack looks so good though.....
                                Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                                That's a bit exaggerated. 5W isn't "quiet", and you couldn't get away with it in an apartment without an attenuator, but it's perfectly appropriate for a loud afternoon/evening in the living room of a suburban house.

20W is where you'll probably think "I really should be using ear plugs with this..."
                                I've cranked my 2525H on the 5W setting a couple times and it gets loud to the point of being somewhat uncomfortable without plugs. I'm playing through an Emi Wizard 16, so that's 103.5db sensitivity; with something a bit quieter it'd be more manageable. In the 20W mode it has plenty of volume for most of the gigs I've ever played.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                                X