Skype Lessons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype Lessons?

I'm thinking I would benefit from the encouragement & knowledge of a teacher at this point- I'm an 'ok' player, played for half my life and can pull off some shreddy little licks and tricks, but I feel like I really need to improve my playing/consistency- with a focus on leads, speed, accuracy etc. I've never really taken lessons.

Wondering on a few points - Do you have any experience with finding a teacher over Skype, and were your results adequate/measurable? Any suggested instructors or resources? Am I better off finding in-person instruction?
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Skype Lessons?

I have done both in person and I currently take Skype lessons.
    Since you (we) can pretty much already play Skype lessons would be a good possibility for you.
    At this point you don’t need somebody to tell you “put this finger here...” like a pure beginner needs.
    I live on the east coast and my teacher lives in Cali...
    So far I’ve learned a lot from him. He has challenged me in way that I sorely needed....
    I can give you a referral if you’d like...

Comment

Nice I am interested, thank you - Feel free to PM
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I don't think an in-person lesson has any inherit advantage over online. Hope it works out!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I once HAD bookmarked some excellent youtube series with a pro that walks you through a bunch of popular metal songs, slowing down and repeating bit by bit, with tabs well-edited into the clip.... like 40 mintues to an hour per song I think

Annoyingly it was in Brazilian Portuguese (not that it really matters, everything's shown with tabs and zoomed in fretboard views), but apparently they had great production values because this doubled as some big retailer's hour-long interactive promo ad of the gear the host used in the clip. And they'd use a couple grand worth of semipro gear, os it wasn't annoying BS, they actually showed you how popular metal tones were achievable live

.....but now I can't find the dang thing. Anybody know what that was??? Imho FAR higher quality teaching material than anythimg Ive ever seen. Can't see many lessons beating that. And free, too.
          Last edited by Adieu; 10-24-2018, 09:31 AM.
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            I once HAD bookmarked some excellent youtube series with a pro that walks you through a bunch of popular metal songs, slowing down and repeating bit by bit, with tabs well-edited into the clip.... like 40 mintues to an hour per song I think

Annoyingly it was in Brazilian Portuguese .....but now I can't find the dang thing. Anybody know what that was??? Imho FAR higher quality teaching material than anythimg Ive ever seen. Can't see many lessons beating that. And free, too.
            I think you may be talking about "Cifra Club" in their "Aula de Guitarra" (guitar class) series.

The link for the whole thing (they teach not only guitar, but a number of other things) in youtube is here:

If you search for "Aula de Guitarra" on youtube, it takes you to a bunch of their guitar oriented lessons: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...la+de+guitarra

I am native Galician speaker, which is a sibling-language to Portuguese, and as I can understand their speech, I am well aware of their site. I agree, it is a good one for learning online.

Hope is the one you were talking about and can be of some help

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              I don't think an in-person lesson has any inherit advantage over online. Hope it works out!
              Turns out the person Gtrjunior mentioned above lives five minutes from my house- so no Skype lessons for me. Excited to have someone gawk at the worst parts of my playing, in person

Comment

Skype is fine.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Aceman gave me some lessons on Skype! Sounds kinky, I know, but in actuality he had a lot of great ideas for pentatonic theory.

Comment

Skype Lessons?

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                    Turns out the person Gtrjunior mentioned above lives five minutes from my house- so no Skype lessons for me. Excited to have someone gawk at the worst parts of my playing, in person [emoji3]
                    Yeah, Mark told me you were starting lessons with him. I’m glad I was able to help you in finding somebody.
                    He’s a great teacher. But it’s absolutely intimidating to struggle through something you’re working on while he’s watching and listening.
                    When do you start?

Comment

What styles are you gonna work?

My last teacher fired me when I tried to make him play jazz and learn to read.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        Yeah, Mark told me you were starting lessons with him. I’m glad I was able to help you in finding somebody.
                        He’s a great teacher. But it’s absolutely intimidating to struggle through something you’re working on while he’s watching and listening.
                        When do you start?
                        We met up last week but the first actual lesson is tomorrow. Intimidation is what I probably need

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        What styles are you gonna work?

My last teacher fired me when I tried to make him play jazz and learn to read.
                        I absolutely wanted someone with the musical education to get to a technical level (though perhaps not the first thing I need to work on.) If he can get me to my key goals in the context of blues/jazz/rock/country or ragtime, I'll go along with it; would love to absorb any/all styles though that's getting ahead of myself. But I didn't give a 'style' goal. Part of my existing self-sabotage is I am too much in my own little box of style; I only listen to/play alt-rockfish sort of stuff and I would benefit by expanding my horizons.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                          Aceman gave me some lessons on Skype! Sounds kinky, I know, but in actuality he had a lot of great ideas for pentatonic theory.
                          You made that sound soooo dirty....

But It was a great test of concept. Worked just fine.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                          X