• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help from any computer gurus out there

[QUOTE=uOpt;2887396]ASI-what?

I hope your kidding? but if you're not.

Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output -
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM.
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

The Asus forum have a section for your MB.
      - http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...del=Sabertooth X58&page_size=20&page=1&count=539 -

I haven't seen any problems the same as yours but some similar. I only got through the first four pages.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        Do the crashes reappear if you plug the drive back in?
        Yes.

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        I don't think you have a problem with total power consumption here. Under 4x mprime (you ran one per CPU, right) you will have more CPU load than under reaper. A disk take 10-12 watts. That doesn't rule out a broken PSU.
        If the PSU is broken, I'm going to have to replace it. I might as well replace it with a more powerful one as long as I'm buying one anyway, right? Maybe the solution is to buy a new (and bigger) PSU, to fix either problem.

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
        The Asus forum have a section for your MB.
        - http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...del=Sabertooth X58&page_size=20&page=1&count=539 -

I haven't seen any problems the same as yours but some similar. I only got through the first four pages.
        That link isn't working for me, but I really appreciate you checking. Are you still suspicious of the MB?
        "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
          That link isn't working for me, but I really appreciate you checking. Are you still suspicious of the MB?
          <yes.
          Sorry, there's a drop down box at the bottom where it says " Forum . motherboard . All " if you click on the arrow at the side of the box you get a list of boards; choose yours and click OK.

Also; In your bios, your " SATA Configuration [ enhanced ] " how is it set. If it's set to Raid , set it to IDE
          Last edited by GoldenVulture; 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM. Reason: bios
          sigpic

Comment

OK, so we have more info. At 220 watts total, I do not think you are exceeding what your power supply can provide, although a single 12volt rail which powers the hard drives in your case only supplies 18A x 12v = 216watts. You have two rails and the 3.3 and 5 volt wattages all total are 220, so it looks like your are within its specifications. However, like you, I still feel its a power issue and I believe you need to increase your headroom for failure.

GV may be on to something that I remember about secondary SATA ports failing, but that was on newer motherboards so I do not know if it applies in this case.

My recommendation at this point is a new higher wattage Power supply, one of the two I recommended. Purchase from a local big box store and if it does not fix the issue, you can return it. No harm done. They are very easy to install so this test can be done very quickly and will cause the least disturbance to your setup.

If it is a secondary SATA issue, it could be MB drivers or hardware so that will be up to you to figure out.

and third but not least, that third drive could have an issue internally, so don't count it out.

Do the power supply replacement first, if it does solve the issue, we can all jump for joy, if not, at least we have a direction.

Brad

Comment

If you are satisfied that adding and removing the third harddrive makes the error appear and disappear, and if the drive is idle, then you have a broken motherboard. Myself I would run more tests to confirm but once you are sure that's that.

There is a possibility to explain things with a broken PSU but then every computer problem can be.

The harddrive might be broken and things might work if you exchange it. But in the end then the mainboard is still to blame, because a broken harddrive on one port shouldn't affect other ports, much less USB ports.

Before you get a new board, flash to the newest BIOS.

Comment

GoldenVulture, uOpt, and briggleman. Many thanks to the dream team.

Obviously we still haven't pinpointed the problem 100%, but I think we can all agree that a new PSU has a shot at fixing things. I took briggleman's advice and ordered a more powerful PSU from amazon.com. If I get the same crashes with the new PSU, we'll know that wasn't the issue, and I'll send it back, no harm done. Amazon.com is great about returns.

At this point that seems like the easiest possible solution and I'm just really burnt out on troubleshooting this one. I'll report back when the new PSU is up and running.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Man don't tell me you ordered a random PSU just because it has a bigger watts number on it. The number means nothing with most brands.

Comment

I don't know how you pick a PSU if not by the number of watts, but I ordered THIS ONE.

Comment

I think you will do OK with that one.....Really OK!

Comment

The new PSU arrived and I installed it. I pushed the computer as hard as I could, doing as many operations as possible, with all three drives plugged in...and I have yet to get it to crash. I think this was the fix. I'm going to mess around with it for a few hours tonight before I'm completely convinced, but it's looking good.

Can't thank you guys enough.

Comment

Well so far so good, however keep pushing and testing, it is still possible other factors that GV and uOpt mentioned could be the cause. Glad its working so far. I would be interested to see a power reading again with the new power supply. Just curious.

With the power supply you purchased, you now have one heck of a system.

Brad

Comment

Thanks briggleman...unfortunately it crashed on me again, with the same crash report as before. And I wasn't even pushing it very hard.

The first decision I need to make is whether to keep the new PSU or return it. Is there any reason to keep it if it doesn't fix the crash issue?

Comment

That was to be expected based on the works-without-hd. You have some problem there that is temporarily chased away by wiggling.

Is it still stable without that HD?

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
                                Thanks briggleman...unfortunately it crashed on me again, with the same crash report as before. And I wasn't even pushing it very hard.

The first decision I need to make is whether to keep the new PSU or return it. Is there any reason to keep it if it doesn't fix the crash issue?
                                That is a decision up to you about the power supply. If it were me, I would keep it since it is well above the minimal requirements for your Video Card and it is an enhancement, and monetary concerns on my part for that amount would be minimal. I am not in your shoes however, so if there are other concerns, it would be OK keeping your original power supply since this latest crash seems to rule out a power issue causing the crashes. uOpt's question about the system stability without the third drive connected should be investigated further. I am not familiar with your motherboard.... How are the dvd or cdroms connected to the board...SATA or EIDE? If SATA, I would disconnect one and see if hooking the third drive up to one of those still allows operation or kills it again.

What I find strange is the fact that when you pushed your system after the new PS and did not induce the BSOD, which you could always make it do before, it seemed stable. But now, with little or no pushing on your part it has gone back to the same symptoms with the 3rd HD connected.

Do you leave your system on all the time? Or do you shut it down completely after each use???

Comment

Working...
                                X