Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCR Darkburst pickups

Originally posted by heavydutysg135 View Post
    My guitar sounded very similar to a guitar that I tried with custom shop antiquities (the other guitar was a Les Paul and mine is an SG though) which are generally considered one of the flagship products of the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop line, so I felt that I had a fair comparison.

I said that I tried both the Antiquities and the Anniversary Seths, I just owned the Seths for some time. There was not enough of a difference for me to get very excited one way or the other. I think that if you really like the Antiquities then you would like the Anniversary Seths and vice versa because they have a very similar sound and feel imo. There is definately a huge difference going from either of these pickups (which I consider similar) to WCR, whether you like that difference is obviously a personal preference. Different people have different tastes which is why there are so many choices of pickups, I definately know that I personally prefer WCR from my first-hand experiences. YMMV
    Last edited by heavydutysg135; 12-18-2008, 08:42 PM.
    Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
    Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
    Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
    1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
    1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
    ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
    ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
    ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
    Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

I really don't know the answer to this, but are all of the WCR pups different for every client? If not, what's unfair about comparing them to any other company's regular offerings? I really have never understood the concept of "custom shop" pickups by any maker that sells the same "custom" pickup to anyone who wants it, and does it by a common name. I just don't get it. It wouldn't pass in the world of suits. "Here, take this custom suit of the rack and we'll see you later".

I'm not trying to hijack, but I honestly don't get what is unfair.

I have not tried WCRs yet, but based on the clips I've heard, they sound really good. I have always worried though, that they have so much of their own sound, that it would be hard to get them not to sound like every one else that plays them. Kind of like Dimarzios. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. One thing I like about SD, is that many of their pups are open to individual sound. Gibsons are great for this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thunder View Post
        nice axe!
        Originally posted by mononoaware View Post
        nice wife!
        ^this!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Usual View Post
          I really don't know the answer to this, but are all of the WCR pups different for every client? If not, what's unfair about comparing them to any other company's regular offerings? I really have never understood the concept of "custom shop" pickups by any maker that sells the same "custom" pickup to anyone who wants it, and does it by a common name. I just don't get it. It wouldn't pass in the world of suits. "Here, take this custom suit of the rack and we'll see you later".

I have not tried WCRs yet, but based on the clips I've heard, they sound really good. I have always worried though, that they have so much of their own sound, that it would be hard to get them not to sound like every one else that plays them. Kind of like Dimarzios. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. One thing I like about SD, is that many of their pups are open to individual sound. Gibsons are great for this as well.

I dont really agree with what you are getting at. I can pick up a guitar with the same pickups you have....plug into the same amp and, after I have finished dialing in my tone settings, sound completely different.

WCRs are more open sounding than any DUncan I have tried....they let the guitar's acoustic voice shine through. To me that is what a pickup should do. I think the formula for good tone starts with a guitar that sounds great unplugged, the pickup should make that bigger and enhace it. WCR pickups do that. When peo-ple play the guitar unplugged they are impressed at how it sounds a lot like it does plugged in. To me that is the ultimate compliment to a pickup.
          Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by The Usual View Post

I don't think there's anything that special about WCRs, or any pickup for that matter.

Comment

the antiquitys are a different line of pups than normal production seymour duncans which is what a seth lover is, a real custom shop pup is a work of art. something like an S-Deco would be a good comparison to the wcrs. a godwood set will set you back about the same as a pair of the s-deco

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                the antiquitys are a different line of pups than normal production seymour duncans which is what a seth lover is, a real custom shop pup is a work of art. something like an S-Deco would be a good comparison to the wcrs. a godwood set will set you back about the same as a pair of the s-deco
                I don't know if this comment was directed at me, but I already responded to it in comments #13 and #16. On the other hand, the s-deco is one that I have not really heard talked about much on this forum and I certainly have not tried it in person/live.
                Voodoo Amps 50 and 100 watt V-Plex heads
                Voodoo Amps Texas Heat 1x12 combo
                Longhorn Amps "The Barn Owl" 1x12 combo
                1981 JCM 800 2204 Head
                1984 (Bogner Modified) JCM 800 4103 2X12 Combo
                ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with WCR Cherrybucker Set
                ESP Eclipse Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 60
                ESP Viper Custom Shop '07 with EMG 81 and 85
                ESP Esquire Custom Shop (Jeff Beck)
                Gibson SG Standard with WCR American Steele Set

Comment

I tried the Fillmores in a McCarty IRW, and frankly I thought they weren't very balanced and a tad fizzy (little too much wool for a PAF). I tried selling them on here with no luck.

I then found an antiquity bridge of almost 9K and was blown away. My guitar opened right up. That's on the hot side for a PAF, but it kept it's smoky character and sweet sounding midrange, smooth bass - just a fabulous sounding pickup with a little extra balls - everything I had hoped for in the Fillmores. I kept trying to find a match for the neck... tried a Wolfetone Dr. V and a Crossroads and then a fralin. Nada.

You know what I did next? I bought another random antiquity on Ebay, and plopped it in there. And it bugged my eyes out. The tone is incredible. I made some clips comparing it to my JP Custom CA... and it's pretty amazing to hear just how LP like this guitar now is. It's my yardstick for neck pickup tone.

Now I agree that this is just one special case - an IRW necked McCarty, and somebody trying to get a vintage LP tone from it. But my point here is that there is indeed a lot of hype and voodoo online, and that the right combination is sometimes NOT the uber-boutique hyped line.

WCR makes fabulous products no doubt - but Seymour knows how to wind an incredible pickup too.

Comment

"But my point here is that there is indeed a lot of hype and voodoo online, and that the right combination is sometimes NOT the uber-boutique hyped line"

That sums it for me... my latest favorite pickup is actually on a bone stock late 90s Les Paul DC studio... a Gibson 498T! I like it's character. Sometimes just use the ears and IGNORE other opinions!
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I really like the 498T a lot myself.....VERY underrated pickup.

Comment

I hate to dig this up again but must say I think a lot of stock pickups can blow you away as much as the boutique winders. My bone stock late 80s SG Special has the Bill Lawrence designed and mase(I believe) circuit board pickups and they are insanely good in this SG. Go figue!? The 498T in my late 80s LP also smokes. I tried a Wolfetone Timbrewolf in this one and I think I may prefer the 498T! Not sure yet. I think Jims are too expensive for what you get. Great guy though. Other choices are Guitar Force, and cheaper. His Erupter and Rebel II are incredible. As good as the Godwood easily. Also Motor City pickups is right up there with the rest.

Funny, a friend used a few WCRs for a while and ended up back with the C-5! You never know.

Comment

A pickup has to work with a guitar. In many cases a pickup that is great in one guitar may be just average or even bad in another.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
                            A pickup has to work with a guitar. In many cases a pickup that is great in one guitar may be just average or even bad in another.
                            I think that is why I am keeping my SG and PRS CE-22 stock!

My burst LP has sounded great with the stock BB Pro, WCR Godwood, Guitar Force pickups and Rio Grande BBQ. I know guys find that dark but it works in my burst LP. Go figure.

My other LP sounded killer with the stock 498T! Although it has a Wolfetone Timbrewolf now.

Comment

I agree with Archer of Fish. I have an '06 McCarty that sounds best with the stock bridge pup. My '97 McCarty sounds best with a different pickups but I have tried all the same pups in both guitars before picking the ones to keep in each.

Comment

Originally posted by theodie View Post
                                I have to agree but, it is hard for me to bring myself to pay those prices. That is the only obstacle IMO.
                                theodie, have you seen the prices lately for Tim White "Timbuckers" or Tom Holmes PAF sets? $200-$300 a HB set is nothing compared to finding and purchasing a Timbucker or Holmes set.

Comment

Working...
                                X