Big guitar tones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big guitar tones

Was listening to this song this morning. And at the end, this song gets huge. Wide. Sounds great.

Was wondering what you guys think they did to get the guitars so big and wide.

I would assume both guitar tracks were just doubled and then panned left and right?

What do you think?
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-27-2020, 10:34 AM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Big guitar tones

Multi-tracking guitars, not doubling. Doubling the same part and then panning left/right sounds exactly the same. Multi-tracking gives slightly different sounds which can add up to sound really big . . . especially if you multi-track with different amps, players, effects, etc. Sometimes people play stuff on electric guitar, then track the root notes of the same part on the D string of a bass to make the guitars sound like a baritone/7-string.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That's multi tracking + having a solid pocket bassline adding depth to the lows

Importantly, it's because the rest of the song is pretty much devoid of big rhythm guitars. The contrast makes it seem huger

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Appreciate the input.

Comment

multi tracking and a lot of spectrum planning for each mic on each cab etc.

If you grab the best part of what each mic is doing on mutiple style cabs and layer it in with the other mics doing a different parts of the spectrum and attack/sustain, also using some "strategic bleeding" of mics for the presence/sustain, and then multiple upon multiple takes with one take being the real articulation, and rest being the fat and resolve and the wide stereo panning and squash it hard on the way in to the console you get this somewhat 90s alternative guitar production sound.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

If you search 'Produce Like a Pro Wide Guitar' in YouTube you will get some great tips from Warren Huart. His guitar tracks sound great, and he's a very good guitar player in his own right.
            Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 01-28-2020, 03:55 PM.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

In addition to multi tracking, I like to use a couple mics on a cabinet. One right on the center and another halfway to the edge. That also works pretty well live.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                If you search 'Produce Like a Pro Wide Guitar' in YouTube you will get some great tips from Warren Huart. His guitar tracks sound great, and he's a very good guitar player in his how right.
                I watched 5 of his videos today, picked up a couple tricks! Thanks!

Comment

The posts above nailed it, but one more tip I can add to the conversation is to try combining multiple amps while multi-tracking. A British gain for the upper mids and a Boogie to fill out the low mids can sound absolutely crushing.
                  Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                  Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                  Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                  Marshall 1960a
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    If you search 'Produce Like a Pro Wide Guitar' in YouTube you will get some great tips from Warren Huart. His guitar tracks sound great, and he's a very good guitar player in his how right.
                    Sure, Warren is a gem. It is amazing to have someone high profile like him making a baseline youtube channel. Amazing tips all around there.
                    Wackor
                    Řrdřg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
                      The posts above nailed it, but one more tip I can add to the conversation is to try combining multiple amps while multi-tracking. A British gain for the upper mids and a Boogie to fill out the low mids can sound absolutely crushing.
                      So great point. not to brag but just to reinforce this approach, in the 90s I worked on some of the biggest alternative rock albums (as a engineering intern slave primarily so once again -not taking credit) with the guys who invented or were known for this style guitar production 80s Metal posted

mixing inheritly scooped amps for the bottom (mesa, Fender etc) in with classic British style amp mids and then maybe a North American (Fender, Traynor) or Solid State Roland or a British Voxy chime for some special top end charm together was a real effective way to get a giant sound.

There is a small downside to this though -in filling the mid range spectrum with an entire thick wall of guitar tone, vocals become harder to place effectively (especially for vocal featured sogs like Top 40 style mixes), and also it's hard to find a place for keys as well if your guitars are giving so much information.

Good news is I happen to be confident 80s Metal owns all this kind of stuff to pull it off...
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Lol. Fair point. Though it's worth noting that for someone still getting their feet wet, all these principles translate over to modelers and impulse responses. With the latter, he can experiment with mic combos and placement, and even different "speakers," and with the former he can blend models based on American and British style amps, or whatever real amp he owns plus a corresponding model. It's a compromise, but a useful one for someone with limited access to expensive gear. Your points about the difficulties that can be introduced by devoting too much frequency space to guitar are totally on point though.
                        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                        Marshall 1960a
                        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Sounds like Bud Light in aluminum bottles and bedazzled men’s jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                            Sounds like Bud Light in aluminum bottles and bedazzled men’s jeans.
                            Indeed, it does. I am happy that sort of production went away- it was everywhere for 10 years.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Indeed, it does. I am happy that sort of production went away- it was everywhere for 10 years.
                              You're happy? I had to endure this as a job! Everyone wanted ONLY this from 94ish through the 00s

Comment

Working...
                              X