Advice on a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on a new amp

I had an HRD 4x10 combo for two years. It sucked. Played it twice. Sat in the basement collecting dust. Was WAY too loud... Even for the outdoor gigs I was doing. The volume taper was ridiculous. It was jump from unbearable on 0, to obnoxious on 1. The clean tones weren't great at all, and the crunch was crap. The H&K Triamp that I also had at time got all the love.

I second the Supersonic suggestion. I had a SS Twin and it was kickass for cleans and great with pedals. The drive channel was typical mushy Fender OD though. Pedals were better.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
      Update!

Today I tried a Ltd Edition Blues Deluxe - it had cream coloured tolex and a Jensen P12Q speaker. Sounded great! Very simliar to the hot rod deluxe tone, but the gain structure was a little easier to dial in, and it didn't get as dirty. I liked that it had a bright switch also. So overall a nice amp that I could definitely enjoy, but there was one drawback - I also tried a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue....
      That thing was just beautiful and lush. I was in a tiny room so cranking it was painful and I couldn't get it to break up, but my god those clean tones were just amazing. I may be swayed towards one of these now - with an OD pedal for dirt if need be...
      I had an original Blues Deluxe, I really do wish that I hadn't sold it. You hit the nail on the head when comparing it to the HRD. The 65 is a great amp too, sounds like a tough decision for you.

Comment

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        I've wanted to like Vox but they just don't jive for me. Fender amps are my comfort zone.

Supro amps are killer though...the more I play the more I really love what I hear.
        I like all three!

Comment

I have been looking at the Bugera G20 head lately
          It has a knob that changes the EQ curve so thT one side is Fendery and the other is Marshally
          Or any blend in between
          Its headphone/DI output on back has switchable cabinet simulations

It just sounds so good in those YouTube videos

I want one
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            I have been looking at the Bugera G20 head lately
            It has a knob that changes the EQ curve so thT one side is Fendery and the other is Marshally
            Or any blend in between
            Its headphone/DI output on back has switchable cabinet simulations

It just sounds so good in those YouTube videos

I want one
            That’s similar to the ISF control on Blackstar amps.
            One way is darker and more British, the other is American and somewhat brighter.

Comment

So many great amps, so much mojo, so little cash...

Comment

When I reread the OP
                It seems you are in an arms race competition with the other guitarist
                This is how garage bands end up with 100 wat Marshall's
                No one needs anything bigger than a 40 watt tube amp

Ever

The stage volume gets so loud

When I spoke of the Di output on the Bugera
                This is what you run to the PA if you need more gig volume

For years we just milked the smaller amp

The cabinet sim makes that unnecessary
                Just an instrument cable to.the pa
                Turn up the board

Be able to have a Conversation on stage

The Bugera and probably the Blackstar,
                You can leave the amp on standby and have no cab
                Just the cranked amp leaving the Headphone/DI to the board
                Let the board decide how loud it is

If you get a 50 watt combo
                Your other guy will upgrade
                Forcing you to upgrade till you both have these giant full.stacks
                And drown out the bass player

The bass player really hates that
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  When I reread the OP
                  It seems you are in an arms race competition with the other guitarist
                  This is how garage bands end up with 100 wat Marshall's
                  No one needs anything bigger than a 40 watt tube amp

Ever

The stage volume gets so loud

When I spoke of the Di output on the Bugera
                  This is what you run to the PA if you need more gig volume

For years we just milked the smaller amp

The cabinet sim makes that unnecessary
                  Just an instrument cable to.the pa
                  Turn up the board

Be able to have a Conversation on stage

The Bugera and probably the Blackstar,
                  You can leave the amp on standby and have no cab
                  Just the cranked amp leaving the Headphone/DI to the board
                  Let the board decide how loud it is

If you get a 50 watt combo
                  Your other guy will upgrade
                  Forcing you to upgrade till you both have these giant full.stacks
                  And drown out the bass player

The bass player really hates that
                  I see now

PA and soud guys and DIs and then modellers and sh!t.... THAT'S what killed rock'n'roll

Cuz full stacks is where it's at.

World needs more 100w Marshalls....
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

So its pistols at dawn - full stacks in the evening!

If we could be bothered lugging full stacks around we would totally do it! more for the show though..

Our limiting factor really is our drummer. There's only so loud we can play before the drummer breaks sticks every song. At this volume the crowd would probably be back out the door - letting the cops in for the third time also..

We're quite sensible with our volumes really, its more an exploration of differing tones, and how we arrange each tune in light of this. The other guitarist is going for the thicker, woollier vibe; I'm hitting the edgier, brighter tones. We both do vocals. We have no bass player to annoy

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Cuz full stacks is where it's at.

World needs more 100w Marshalls....
                      Amen! We have a believer!!

Though I change my mind when I remember I don't have a roadie... And I dig Fender tones as well..

I think in general the world just needs more tube amps - of all flavours and wattage. But playing a full stack is the musical equivalent of Top Gun.
                      Last edited by AxlOz; 10-14-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Amen! We have a believer!!

Though I change my mind when I remember I don't have a roadie... And I dig Fender tones as well..
                        Neodymium speakers? can shave 30-40lbs off a halfstack...

Or just stack and daisychain 2x12s maybe?

As to fender....they had heads, too. And those Quad Reverb combos.
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Very true! Lets not forget how ridiculously loud and heavy a Fender Twin can be!

So while I completely agree that full stacks are just plain awesome - I'll be gigging this rig, so I'm gonna be lame and shoot for a 1x12 combo Maaaybe a 2x12 combo if I find the right one..

Comment

Find an old Randall.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

The other added bonus with the Venue series Blackstar Amps is they have a push button on them that cuts the Wattage on the Amp to 10% of the top end. From 40W to 4W which is still LOUD, but manageable in a bedroom/apartment environment. Then you can record either through USB or XLR with the Amp on Standby direct to PC/MAC.

EDIT: Oops. If you use the XLR out, you will need to go through an Interface of some kind. My bad.
                              Last edited by Old Guy; 10-15-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Update!
                                So I've found something that I was not expecting would tick the box for me, but it may be a great outcome - a Supro Supreme!

Its a 1x10 combo, 25w, 6v6 based with really basic controls.

I tried it at rehearsal last night and it just killed! They sound a bit 'normal' at low volume, but I had the volumes (plural - it has 2 channels that cascade or something like that) running at about 7 and it just came to life and sounded amazing. Very clear and articulate, but with just enough crunchy breakup.
                                The real interesting thing is how well it handled low end. I was expecting a weaker bass response due to the 10" speaker and smaller cabinet size but it sounded fatter than other 2x12's I've played, and much fatter than my Blues Jr. Thick and articulate with super sweet fender-esque mids and highs. No reverb though, but I rarely use that in a live setting, most venues add enough naturally.

I'll try it again at next rehearsal and see how she fares for round 2.
                                I love this amp, I grabbed one a while back when Sweetwater had them on sale. It definitely helps to use the 1×12 extension cab in a band setting though.
                                sigpic
                                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                                X