Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 13k with Alnico 8

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Oh, I thought you were talking about putting an A8 in a Custom. Why would you even suggest getting a SH-6n and putting an A8 with thinner spacers (or a double thick A8 would be a better solution) when he can get the sound he's after with a C8 which is better sounding and more versatile in the first place?
    Actually it was ToneFiddler who suggested the Distortion neck - I was posting about the spacers, then went on to comment about swapping doublethick mags into that wind because I have a couple.

I'd recommend a Custom8 over the Distortion too.

But I still think A8 in a 13K Perpetual Burn would give him the clean low end he's looking for, as well as being the closest Duncan equivalent to the Arcane he mentioned.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-25-2020, 11:56 AM.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Dimarzio Satchur8 fits the bill 12.75K A 8. I'm a big A8 fan but have not tried this pickup. I have run the Alt 8, bought 2 crazy 8's from the first forum run and also run Custom 8's and Jb 8's. So far my favorite A8 pickup is the Alt 8. It's a LOT clearer and more defined than you may think and although it is very hot doesn't respond like most super hot pickups do.
      Clip live running my 93 KOA Carvin DC 127 with a ALT 8 bridge Sentient set 3 way and split switches and my little Boogie Subway Rocket. Here I never touch my amp settings this is just using the switches and guitar volume plus touch to get the different tones and gain levels.

Here is another clip same rig this time almost all on the Alt in full bucker.
      Last edited by Ascension; 06-25-2020, 12:56 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        Dimarzio Satchur8 fits the bill 12.75K A 8. I'm a big A8 fan but have not tried this pickup. I have run the Alt 8, bought 2 crazy 8's from the first forum run and also run Custom 8's and Jb 8's. So far my favorite A8 pickup is the Alt 8. It's a LOT clearer and more defined than you may think and although it is very hot doesn't respond like most super hot pickups do.
        Clip live running my 93 KOA Carvin DC 127 with a ALT 8 bridge Sentient set 3 way and split switches and my little Boogie Subway Rocket. Here I never touch my amp settings this is just using the switches and guitar volume plus touch to get the different tones and gain levels.

Here is another clip same rig this time almost all on the Alt in full bucker.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qB...ANtW5&index=94
        What’s the difference between a Crazy 8 and a Custom 8?

Comment

If you're looking for something that has a bit of vintage character but is tight enough to do metal, I'd just go for the regular custom (sh5). The custom 8 (swapping in an alnico 8 magnet) could be a backup plan if you want more mids, but if you're playing a 5150 you should already have plenty of mids on tap.

IMO you'll get more helpful advice if you focus on what you want to do rather than try to stick to some specs.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X