Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parallel Axis Appreciation Thread

the parallel axis is only in Duncans, and it’s one of three basic pickup designs.
    The old (and now discontinued) Carvin/Kiesel 22 polepiece humbuckers work on a similar principle. I love the M22SD; one of the most aggressive-sounding pickups I've ever encountered, while still retaining fullness in the low-end. Reminds me a lot of the Invader, actually, just with a tiny bit more top-end gnarliness.

Comment

I'm blown away by how well the original PATB handles gain. All you can throw at it, and it's clear and chunky and awesome. I put a mic in front of my cab for the first time since I installed the pickup, and I think it sounds just like I want for a recorded tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
        well that shouldn’t be too hard especially for leads.
        but about the same level of compression?
        then i think i will opt for the PATB-3.

even the pegasus sometimes feels too compressed for me
        The PATB-3 is basically just a semi-hot PAF with PA construction.

The character of the treble, and the output, reminds me a bit of a Gibson Burstbucker #3, but it's a bit less muddy and more articulate.

Still a bit too "honky" for me. Too bottom heavy, and too scooped. I tried it with the PATB-3 at first, and eventually swapped out the PATB-3 for a second PATB-1n.

Most people would prefer the PATB-3, though, I think. I just don't like my bridge pickups to be too powerful or bottom heavy.

That said, in a single humbucker guitar, I would use the PATB-3 instead of the PATB-1n. The problem I had with running the 1n and the 3 together was that they both wanted different amp settings.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-07-2020, 02:16 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          I'm blown away by how well the original PATB handles gain. All you can throw at it, and it's clear and chunky and awesome. I put a mic in front of my cab for the first time since I installed the pickup, and I think it sounds just like I want for a recorded tone.
          I’d love to hear a short sample....I’m contemplating a PATB for an Ibanez

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            The PATB is basically just a semi-hot PAF with PA construction.

The character of the treble, and the output, reminds me a bit of a Gibson Burstbucker #3, but it's a bit less muddy and more articulate.

Still a bit too "honky" for me. Too bottom heavy, and too scooped. I tried it with the PATB-1n at first, and eventually swapped out the PATB-3 for a second PATB-1n.

Most people would prefer the PATB-3, though, I think. I just don't like my bridge pickups to be too powerful or bottom heavy.

That said, in a single humbucker guitar, I would use the PATB-3 instead of the PATB-1n. The problem I had with running the two together was that they both wanted different amp settings.
            thanks for the reply. i always liked a lil scoop. The honk might turn me off though. Never understood how that even can be possible in the same PU?

Well i would go PATB 1n/3b in a HH superstrat with a locking trem, so a lil more bass might not hurt at all.
            But i will try the neck version in the Bridge too. if it's that much better i can always go down the CS route for a wider spacing.
            So added to wishlist

Comment

Recordings of Barlo the Jammer: All these jams (excluding some of the very last ones which are done with my ex Ibanez S370) are done with my Warmoth Walnut Hardtail Stratocaster: Duncan PATB-3 brid

100 jams, all done with this walnut hardtail strat of mine which has a PATB-3 in the bridge and at the time an a4 59 in the neck. The details of setup are written in each track.

B
              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I do think the Parallel Axis pickups are underrated.
                I sure do like the PATB-1 bridge and PATB-3 Saraceno bridge model. Not too much love for the PATB-2, but that's not because it's a bad pickup, just not my thing EQ wise.
                Over here they are a little on the expensive side, slightly over 120 euro for the PATB-1, if it were not for the price, I'd get some today.
                "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  PATB-1n on top, PATB-1b on bottom:
                  Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  Nope. The PATB-1n is standard spaced, and has a PAF-ish wind. I wasn't makin **** up!
                  This is weird. I wonder if they changed things somewhere along the line? My PATB-1n measures exactly 2.75". Here's the dimensions straight from the horses mouth. Note, the same dimensions for neck & bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PATB1_dimensions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5820756

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Note, the same dimensions for neck & bridge.
                    Could it be that the pickups have the same dimensions, but it's just the pole pieces being closer to eachother on the neck model?
                    Just thinking out loud though, may be stupid lol
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Artie, I'm pretty sure the bobbins are the same dimension between neck and bridge, but the pole piece spacing within them differs. As you can see in the pic I posted, there is extra space on the outside of the E-string poles on the neck model

Comment

I see that. Let me dig my mic out again.

While simultaneously looking for my lost bottle of rum.

P.S. I really, really want to try the single coil version of these. https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...s&pa_strings=6
                        Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-05-2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Artie, the neck and bridge models use TB baseplates and bobbin dimensions. The pole spacing is narrower on the neck model.

I filed down my bobbins so they'd accept humbucker trim rings too. Sharp looking pickups with the trim rings on them.

Masta' C's picture with a basic in-phone convergence correction applied. You can see that the bobbins are the same width, but the poles are spaced differently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	514F304A-4390-4970-A626-13A094135820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	5820757
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-05-2020, 03:29 PM.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

To be honest, I always forget about that with the PATB1n. Makes me think Duncan could definitely do other things ::cough::tele pickup::cough:: with the PA bobbins

Comment

One thing I've noticed playing the PATB1b this weekend is that the highs in this pickup are more pleasing to my ears than any other pickup I've played. So much talk about this pickup not having harsh highs or that pickup not having harsh highs, but this one really has a sparkle on top even when the volume is opened up all the way that refuses to get harsh or ice-picky.

Comment

I have a set of PATB-1s in my Charvel. Great sounding pickups. Fat, but not flabby. The string to string balance is great. Absolutely love them. I only wish Seymour offered them in parchment.
                                2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                                2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                                2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Working...
                                X