banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to the classic 5-way switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to the classic 5-way switch.

There's no rocket science here. But I had this simple idea for an alternative to the classic 5-way switch, (which I've never really liked.)

All it is, is two stacked 3-way's. This offers a couple of nice options. Basically, you divide your three pickups into two functional "groups". In this diagram, I do neck/middle and bridge. Although, neck/bridge and middle would work great also.

One 3-way switch selects between neck and middle. The other selects between the setting of the 1st 3-way, and bridge. With both 3-ways in the middle, you have all three pups on. Or, with the second "group" option. One 3-way selects between neck and bridge, while the other one brings in the middle. Either by itself, or in conjunction with either neck/bridge.

The main thing is, you can have any combo of the three pickups with a simple switch movement - including all three pups.

(I also show a simple template to make a switch adaptor out of pickguard material, to adapt two 3-way's to the 5-way mount.)

As usual, hold down SHIFT and click the image for the full size version.

I was gonna wait 'til I actually got my new Peavey to post this, (after I actually tried it out), but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

BTW - If you wanted to maintain twin tone controls, simply mount them immediately prior to the second 3-way. This way you'ld have a tone control for each "group".

One last thing: my diagram shows three humbuckers. You probaly wouldn't have that, but it works the same way for singles. I just used pre-existing drawings I had. However, you could use HB's. Make each vol/tone/tone pot a push/pull, and you have individual control over splitting and mixing them in any combo.

Or reversing singles . . . or HB's . . . the possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-31-2004, 07:14 AM.

Re: Alternative to the classic 5-way switch.

It's avery ingenious idea. I don't know if the wiring is the same, but I do beleive one of the new Burns guitars has a very similar system employing two three-ways and a trio of Tri-Sonics.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Great idea - perhaps one for the Vault Room??

Artie how about S1 switching - have you/do you know about this and is it on similar prinicples?
      Normans Guitars

Comment

Hmmm . . . I'm not really sure what the S1 system does. Looking over Fenders site, it appears to just change the wiring on the 5-way, but in what way, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Hmmm . . . I'm not really sure what the S1 system does. Looking over Fenders site, it appears to just change the wiring on the 5-way, but in what way, I don't know.
          See the attached which I got some time ago - I think it is still used?
          Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            There's no rocket science here. But I had this simple idea for an alternative to the classic 5-way switch, (which I've never really liked.)

All it is, is two stacked 3-way's. This offers a couple of nice options. Basically, you divide your three pickups into two functional "groups". In this diagram, I do neck/middle and bridge. Although, neck/bridge and middle would work great also.

One 3-way switch selects between neck and middle. The other selects between the setting of the 1st 3-way, and bridge. With both 3-ways in the middle, you have all three pups on. Or, with the second "group" option. One 3-way selects between neck and bridge, while the other one brings in the middle. Either by itself, or in conjunction with either neck/bridge.

The main thing is, you can have any combo of the three pickups with a simple switch movement - including all three pups.

(I also show a simple template to make a switch adaptor out of pickguard material, to adapt two 3-way's to the 5-way mount.)

As usual, hold down SHIFT and click the image for the full size version.

I was gonna wait 'til I actually got my new Peavey to post this, (after I actually tried it out), but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

BTW - If you wanted to maintain twin tone controls, simply mount them immediately prior to the second 3-way. This way you'ld have a tone control for each "group".

One last thing: my diagram shows three humbuckers. You probaly wouldn't have that, but it works the same way for singles. I just used pre-existing drawings I had. However, you could use HB's. Make each vol/tone/tone pot a push/pull, and you have individual control over splitting and mixing them in any combo.

Or reversing singles . . . or HB's . . . the possibilities are endless.
            I always liked the individual on/off toggles (Elite strat) myself all three fit in the same space as a standard 5 way strat switch. (That's not a Dis towards your thing BTW) . Actually when you said stacked 3 way, I pictured a 3 (or 5) way strat switch with two wafers (I know I've seen it used before for something) ... that's what I thought you meant.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
              Great idea - perhaps one for the Vault Room??

Artie how about S1 switching - have you/do you know about this and is it on similar prinicples?
              I know all about the S-1 (man, that did sound pompous), true though ...
              It's a 4PDT push switch that intergral to a 250k-A pot (man I wish they made it in a 500k-A pot ... ). It's used along with a 4 pole 5 throw (independent throws ... same as a super switch), it activate various series modes along with differences specific to the S/S/S and S/S/H models.
              The S/S/S model incorporates a partial Fc tap in two positions as well as a series into two paralleled pups. The S/S/H model is just as interesting although different. Also curiously the H model has a regular tone control(250k) but the S model has a no-load tone control .. referring to the bridge.
              I could tell you more, but only those people that have korg G3s can know all the details.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Nah . . . didn't sound pompous at all. I figured you knew.
                Actually, I knew you knew. I believe you've explained this to someone else in another thread a while back. (Probably twice.)

I almost didn't post this myself, for fear that someone would think that I thought that I had really come up with something. This is so dirt-simple, but I like the basic idea.

I have another circuit that deals with the dual-volume control issue that seems to be pretty cool. It works in the lab, using a pair of signal generators and a 'scope. But I won't know how it will work in a guitar 'til I try it. That particular idea will stay on ice 'til I actually test it.

(However, I might shoot a copy to you, Kent, in a PM.)

Comment

Working...
                X