Soft Rock with PRS and P90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Rock with PRS and P90s

Song is called "Red," for some odd reason.

UPDATED with Vetteboy's drumming: 12/23/2008 --- MAJOR PROPS!

Soft rock type of song I wrote so I could test out how the new PRS sounds when clean. Neck P90 panned left, bridge P90 panned right. Accent parts are also PRS / P90.

Bass is played poorly, and recorded with too much woof and not enough punch, but I only did one track and I was feeling like it was time for bed.

I think the clean accents really help this song along.

I tried it with my Hotstepper freeware for a drrum beat and it was the wrong feel, or I'm just not a very good drum programmer.

Kind of going for a "Jimmy Eat World" feel on this one.

If you want to make me a drum track, post up and maybe I can help you out with something too.
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 12-23-2008, 01:49 PM.
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Re: Soft Rock with PRS and P90s

Nice - what PRS do you have?
    GEAR:
    Guitars, amps, recording gear

Bandmix page

Comment

Why, he has a PRS SE Soapbar II!

I dig it! Great sound, very clear. Interesting idea to do the different pickups on different sides, instead of just playing on the middle setting - you got a similar sound to the middle setting, but its much fuller. Accents sound nice.

I know what you mean about bedtime recording, haha. I did some recording last night at 4:00 AM and my timing is not the greatest; but sometimes the focus is on raw ideas, you know?
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

nice tones there ... some very cool chord grips you got ringing out too
        thanks for sharing it
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Haha...it sounds like you took your bass advice for me and doubled it.

Neat chords and stuff though. If I get some free time floating around I'll see about messing with a drum track for it.

Hey - did you ever do anything with that one track 'village' that you were working on a while ago?
          - Jackson USA Soloist SL1
          - Taylor Solidbody Standard
          - 1968 Gibson B25 Natural
          - Ampeg VH140C
          - Epiphone Valve Junior head w/custom cab in the works
          - 1978 Univox solid state combo w/nasty spring reverb

Interstate X - my recorded stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Vetteboy View Post
            If I get some free time floating around I'll see about messing with a drum track for it.

Unfortunately hard-panned strumming spacey electric guitar chords do not a good click track make.
            - Ampeg VH140C

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              Why, he has a PRS SE Soapbar II!

I dig it! Great sound, very clear. Interesting idea to do the different pickups on different sides, instead of just playing on the middle setting - you got a similar sound to the middle setting, but its much fuller. Accents sound nice.

I know what you mean about bedtime recording, haha. I did some recording last night at 4:00 AM and my timing is not the greatest; but sometimes the focus is on raw ideas, you know?
              Thanks! I appreciate the remarks about the left/right panning --- that's what I was hoping for.

Also, INCORRECT! I don't have a PRS SE Soapbar II --- I have a PRS SE Soapbar. The II is a "PRS" shape, and the one I have is a Singlecut / Les Paul shape.

Comment

Haha...it sounds like you took your bass advice for me and doubled it.

Neat chords and stuff though. If I get some free time floating around I'll see about messing with a drum track for it.

Hey - did you ever do anything with that one track 'village' that you were working on a while ago?

Unfortunately hard-panned strumming spacey electric guitar chords do not a good click track make.
                Holy crap man! That sounds great! I am blown away that you made a drum track for that song!

I'm pretty excited because I never hear my songs with real drums --- only in my head or with crappy electronic drums. Anyone who's written any music can tell you how good it feels to hear something go from an idea to your stereo.

Thanks a lot to perhaps my oldest e-friend who brought me an excellent early holiday gift!

Thanks so much, and cheers

-Hunter

Comment

And Vette, about "Village," I still have that song.

I have it recorded as both an acoustic solo piece, and as an aggressive high gain rock piece.

I will email you or link you to that stuff in the next couple of days --- maybe you can help me figure out what the right feel for that song is --- it kicks ass as both soft and acoustic and aggressive and rock. Maybe we can do one of those "Layla" deals where you kick ass and then skin 'er on back for the outro, or it could be like "My Last Serenade" where you start soft and then go into aggressive mode (verse is lame, chorus is just like intro only marinated in awesome sauce and cooked well-AWESOME)
                  Last edited by ImmortalSix; 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Vette: I found those Village tracks --- neither are decent recordings, but you can at least hear the songs.

I think these were both recorded over 3 years ago --- in a weird tuning too. No, I don't remember
                    On my Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                      Holy crap man! That sounds great! I am blown away that you made a drum track for that song!

I'm pretty excited because I never hear my songs with real drums --- only in my head or with crappy electronic drums. Anyone who's written any music can tell you how good it feels to hear something go from an idea to your stereo.

Thanks a lot to perhaps my oldest e-friend who brought me an excellent early holiday gift!

Thanks so much, and cheers

-Hunter
                      More than welcome, and I had a fun time doing it. Now I feel like I should have given it a little more effort though.

I'll give you a hint: the parts where I cut the overhead mics are a lazy substitution for a bandpass filter on the whole drum kit...that's more what I had in mind.

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                      Vette: I found those Village tracks --- neither are decent recordings, but you can at least hear the songs.

I think these were both recorded over 3 years ago --- in a weird tuning too. No, I don't remember
                      On my Soundclick

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=663744
                      Want a hint?

Originally posted by HotSeXJ
                      It's tuned to DADADe.
                      - Ampeg VH140C

Comment

More than welcome, and I had a fun time doing it. Now I feel like I should have given it a little more effort though.

I'll give you a hint: the parts where I cut the overhead mics are a lazy substitution for a bandpass filter on the whole drum kit...that's more what I had in mind.

Want a hint?
                        Man, you are just full of the early christmas presents this year aren't you!?

Comment

Very nice! I would personally take the bass a little down.. It overpowers a fair bit, at least through my speakers.. But overall, really cool!
                          My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                            Very nice! I would personally take the bass a little down.. It overpowers a fair bit, at least through my speakers.. But overall, really cool!
                            Haha. I had to give his mix a -12 dB cut @ 50 Hz to keep it from blowing up my headphones.
                            - Ampeg VH140C

Comment

interesting tones. i like how you panned the pups in two channels.

loved the mix!
                              Electric: Ibanez SA-320, Floyd Rose DST-3, Yamaha RGX, Early Squier Strat (MIJ), Custom-built Strat

Amp/Effects: Palomino V8, Vox AD30VT, Boss GT6, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Marshall Guv'Nor+, Yamaha CH-10mii, Arion Tubulator, Arion SAD-1, BBE Two-Timer, Vantage Analog Echo EM-720

Bass/Amp: Peavey Grind 5, Crate BT-50

Comment

Working...
                              X