Eleanor Rigby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleanor Rigby

As I started this thread it dawned on me, I've never made a post in this room!

Oh well, first time for everything!

Here is the deal...some of you might remember a few weeks ago I got a call to do a little studio work for a local guy.

He's an up and coming songwriter/performer.

Long story short, he did a re-write of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby" and asked me to come in at the end and contribute some guitar work.

In addition to playing everything on the track save for a few guitars parts from myself and a small overdub from an electric violin John also wrote and directed the video.

I did the guitar solo you hear at the end end as well as some lead fills in various places and the clean parts in the verses are me as well.

Anyway, here it is, John Thomas Taylor, "Eleanor Rigby"

Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 08-12-2010, 03:37 AM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Eleanor Rigby

Dope! Really dug that version of the song. Both me and the mrs dug it. She's still whistling it. Solos tight and sounds great. Signal chain?
    7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Do I hear me some Fuzz on that solo at the end?
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

If any of you guys are interested Johns site has some more of his stuff...

If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
          Do I hear me some Fuzz on that solo at the end?
          Yes...yes you do!

Comment

Guitar/Amp/Specific Fuzz used?

Don't hold out on us bro! Tone was dope!

Comment

Originally posted by joelap View Post
              Dope! Really dug that version of the song. Both me and the mrs dug it. She's still whistling it. Solos tight and sounds great. Signal chain?
              Thanks man!

John did the arrangement (which is actually a full on re-write) and all of the recording.

Anyway...

Signal chain...

I used my Antiquity loaded 58 reissue Les Paul for all the guitar parts I did and I ran my regular pedal board but only used a little of it...the clean parts are mostly the LP into an AnalogMan modded Dunlop Fuzz Face (red dot NKT mod) and maybe a little King of Tone here and there but mostly the Fuzz Face just rolled back for clean tones and the chorus is from a Boss DC-2 that is run stereo into my brown Deluxe on one side and my Mission Plough Front 2x10 on the other. When it came to the nasty parts I just rolled the volume up and went for full on Fuzz Face madness!

Comment

Guitar/Amp/Specific Fuzz used?

Don't hold out on us bro! Tone was dope!
                Thanks again man!

I was really sweatin the tone for a little while...John didn't do much in the way of EQing it at all...

That Fuzz Face has a real chewey tone to it when you play single note lines...it also cleans up real well too...like I said there might be some KoT in there early on but I was able to get most everything I wanted form the Fuzz Face. I wasn't crazy about the chorus, not because of the pedal...I just think chorus in general is a little dated but John said he loved the sound of the DC-2 so I used it. I think it fit nicely...

It was fairly loud when I tracked...I was running the 2 amp combo but I still wanted to get up to a volume where the amps were breathing good and compressing a little on their own.

Comment

That rocked big time.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

I facebook spammed the video. Gave the original artist a mention and a like too. What an awesome version of this song.

Comment

I've never heard fuzz sound so good. I usually hate the sound of fuzz, but the vibe it gives this song is unmatched (and it's a lot fatter and smoother than what I usually hear fuzz used as). Great, great cover and tasteful playing throughout
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                        That rocked big time.
                        Thanks Jeff, I can't take credit for anything except a few guitar parts...

John had the track done when he decided to add a guitar solo, that turned into me adding a few guitar parts in various places.

It was a cool project and Johns happy with the results so I'm happy as well.

Thanks!

Comment

I facebook spammed the video. Gave the original artist a mention and a like too. What an awesome version of this song.
                          I got that, thanks for that!

Glad you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                            I've never heard fuzz sound so good. I usually hate the sound of fuzz, but the vibe it gives this song is unmatched (and it's a lot fatter and smoother than what I usually hear fuzz used as). Great, great cover and tasteful playing throughout
                            Thanks so much for that Chris!

Mike and crew at AnalogMan really know how to make those Fuzz Faces sing with a few tweaks.

Learning how to work them from clean to full on fuzzed out is a little work but I've gotten pretty good at it over the past few years, but I agree...they do have a fatness thats hard to match and with the right rig they can be very smooth...and thats even with the amps running clean!

I was cranked a little, just to get the amps sounding fat and slightly compressed on their own but with the fuzz OFF it was a pretty clean sound!

Comment

That is just one cool video Mr C!!!
                              Great tones and nice playing indeed!
                              Like that redoing!

Comment

Working...
                              X