Distortion magnet swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion magnet swap...

I have a few Duncan Distortions, and I might be getting yet one more...any body ever swap magnets in a DD? What does it do to the sound...I'm thinking maybe an Alnico II.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: Distortion magnet swap...

I've not done it personally, but I've heard that putting an A5 in a Distortion makes it similar to a JB. Putting an A2 in a pickup wound that hot may make it too muddy, but I've heard of folks putting an A2 in JBs with good success. There's not reason that you couldn't get a useable sound out of an A2 Distortion, but YMMV. Let us know how it turns out.
    My Gear:
    Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
    Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
    Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
    TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Rebel
      I've not done it personally, but I've heard that putting an A5 in a Distortion makes it similar to a JB.
      I'm glad you said that first. I was hesitating, because I didn't trust my memory, but I'm sure that once, in the chat room, MJ said that same thing.

I'll see if I can search through the chat archives and find that segment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
        I'm glad you said that first. I was hesitating, because I didn't trust my memory, but I'm sure that once, in the chat room, MJ said that same thing.

I'll see if I can search through the chat archives and find that segment.
        I remember. I was in the chat room with you at that time. Except i think it was Jessica that said that not Mj.

Comment

I put a Custom magnet in a DD. That is the smaller ceramic magnet. I liked the tone, but the pickup really lost some DD character that I like. It did sound more like a Custom and it seemed to clean up a little better.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Don't mess with perfection. Keep the Distortion as it is and if you want a different sound, go with a different pickup. Just my opinion.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              I put a Custom magnet in a DD. That is the smaller ceramic magnet. I liked the tone, but the pickup really lost some DD character that I like. It did sound more like a Custom and it seemed to clean up a little better.
              I have 3! Duncan Distortions...
              And i need a Custom...
              So, i simply could put a smaller ceramic magnet and would have a Custom?
              Pickups... the final frontier.
              These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
              Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
                And i need a Custom...
                So, i simply could put a smaller ceramic magnet and would have a Custom?
                They are NOT the SAME...but very close...a Custom is closest to a Seth with a small Ceramic magnet. A Distortion is closest to a JB with a Ceramis (Much larger that thew one in a Custom!).
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein

Hahahahahahaha! I have 5 Distortions. 4 bridge and 1 neck. They are the greatest. See my other thread..

Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

<wixomwhat> if SD made a humbucker version of the 1/4er would u guys name it the 1/2 pounder?
                    Even though I think you were joking somewhat, I think its a killer idea.
                    Last edited by ArtieToo; 11-29-2004, 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've actully got an Alnico II equiped (and double screw bobbins) DD in The bridge of my tele right at this very moment. The change in tone is massive. Like unbelieveably massive. It doesn't sound anything like a normal DD. It did lose alotta Treble. But it Gained a **** load of Upper mids and tons of bass. I actully really like the way it sounds. Its not really muddy as People would think (I thought it would be myself). Its got the perfect sound for really heavy riffing. And can give some really nice Singing sustain fer leads. Think really really midrange heavy tone. And you'll kinda get the idea. But an unexpected plus is, It sounds amazingly better clean too. Much easyer to just roll the volume back and clean up. I suggest trying it out, ya might love it. Or ya might hate it. Never know till ya try.
                      I also tried an Alnico V in the same DD/Guitar before the Alnico II. I really didn't like the sound of it personally. Seemed to scoop the mids and oddly enough made it seem more compressed to me. I suppouse the sound woulda worked well for metal in the 80's sense. But The sound wasn't happening to me. So I dunno. its all a matter of taste. Ed
                      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
                      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Thanks Artie

Actually I was joking about the 1/2 pounder but if you think about it, that really would be a sweet pup. A humbucker that you could split the coils on and it would then be a 1/4 pounder.

Comment

I see a phone call to the custom shop on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                            I see a phone call to the custom shop on the horizon.

if you do get one you gotta give us a review.

Comment

Low Fidelity did you order the pickup like that from Duncan (2 adjustable coils and A2 mag) or mod it yourself?

I think I will dive in and make some dual adjustable coil pickups taking apart 2 pickups and using both screw coils. I'd have to use 2 of the same pickups or else I'd get a hybrid which would be cool for VH stuff, but I have other ideas now.

Comment

Working...
                              X