Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs. Distortion [direct comparison]

Hey guys,

I realise that there are a lot of individual threads about these two pickups (the JB and Distortion)... yet I would like to know what characteristics these pickups have in comparison to each other.

Please help me out.
    Bee
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: JB vs. Distortion [direct comparison]

Very similar, and in fact it has been found out that a JB and a Distortion use th4e same coils...they just have differet magnets. I wold say this...the Distortion is a tad more aggressive, has a tighter bottom, and a bit more top end...but they are both good pickups and pretty close to each other...think of a Distortion as the younger snot nose punk little brother to the JB!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks man!
      Originally posted by Kanye West
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

I feel the JB has more natural harmonics, is a little sweeter sounding. The Distortion is more chunky and aggressive, kachunk, kachunk, kachunk - it's pure Metal baby. The Distortion seems to have a tendency to have a compressed attack when overdriven IMO. In other words, the front end of the note seems a bit rounder or something or rolled under. This is either good or not so good depending on your taste - I kinda like it though. I like them both, but prefer the JB over the Distortion, but I'm in an 80's hair metal mode now. I have them both and swap them when the feeling hits. I would take either on a desert island.
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

You see, now I would describe the Distortion as the bigger, stronger, more badass brother to the JB. I would agree that it does have tighter bottoms, a more compressed character and is more aggressive. It is perfect for metal. Now I found the top end to be more pleasing than on the JB (which was always shrill to me). It seems to have more lower mids whereas the JB has a ton of upper mids. The Distortion has much more natural harmonics than the JB in my experience. Plus, it cleans up just as well as the JB and sounds great when split.

To me, the JB has less of a bottom end thump, is thinner sounding and has less sustain. Brighter than it is smooth. Harmonics were o.k. but nothing compared to the Distortion. I had a pair of JBs in a guitar which now has a pair of Distortions. There was no contest between the two setups. The dual Distortions with a 5-way switch is among my most versatile of guitars. It is now one of my best sounding. Before, with the JB, it was my least played because of its displeasing tonal character.
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
            You see, now I would describe the Distortion as the bigger, stronger, more badass brother to the JB. I would agree that it does have tighter bottoms, a more compressed character and is more aggressive. It is perfect for metal. Now I found the top end to be more pleasing than on the JB (which was always shrill to me). It seems to have more lower mids whereas the JB has a ton of upper mids. The Distortion has much more natural harmonics than the JB in my experience. Plus, it cleans up just as well as the JB and sounds great when split.

To me, the JB has less of a bottom end thump, is thinner sounding and has less sustain. Brighter than it is smooth. Harmonics were o.k. but nothing compared to the Distortion. I had a pair of JBs in a guitar which now has a pair of Distortions. There was no contest between the two setups. The dual Distortions with a 5-way switch is among my most versatile of guitars. It is now one of my best sounding. Before, with the JB, it was my least played because of its displeasing tonal character.
            I can see that...the Distortions sound very good when split...keep this in mind though...a JB was intended for use with 250k pots...this will change the shrillness you hear...the Distortion was intended for use with 500k pots...this would make a comparison a bit difficult sometimes.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I never knew that. You learn something new every day. Perhaps that is why I've never found a JB I've liked.

But here's a thought, do all the guitar makers that supply the JB as a stock pickup (Jackson, Hamer, ESP, etc.) use 500k or 250k pots, then?
              Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I didn't know a JB was designed to work with a 250k pot. Very interesting. I still prefer the DD over the JB overall though. I do like the JB ceramic, but it's like a notch under the DD, as they both sound great!

Comment

I never knew that. You learn something new every day. Perhaps that is why I've never found a JB I've liked.

But here's a thought, do all the guitar makers that supply the JB as a stock pickup (Jackson, Hamer, ESP, etc.) use 500k or 250k pots, then?
                  I know of a few makers that used JB as stock pups, and they uses 300k pots...I have played a few ESp's with stock JB's and they use 250k. My dad has an old Jackson that came stock with 2 APS-2's and a JB...you guessed it, 250k pots all around! Remember your history lesson...The very first JB/Jazz set was wound for Jeff Beck...and they went into a Telecaster...Seymour did NOT change the post to 500k...and it does make a difference.

Comment

So does that mean that the Jazz would sound better with a 250k pot as well?

Comment

So does that mean that the Jazz would sound better with a 250k pot as well?
                      I can't say "better" but I do know that is was desighned with a 250k pot in mind...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                        Very similar, and in fact it has been found out that a JB and a Distortion use th4e same coils...they just have differet magnets.
                        Has this ever been confirmed?
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSkinSlayer3
                          Holy crap, this just confirmed from Jessica through B2D:

B2D: GtrAlien: is it true that the Duncan Dist is really a JB with a ceramic mag?
                          Jessica: haha yup
                          Jessica: the coils are the same
                          Jessica: and the invader also has he same coils
                          Jessica: but it has 3 small ceramic magnets and oxide pole pieces
                          B2D: hey is it the screws or the magnet that makes an Invader so much thicker and fuller and bassier than other pickups?
                          Jessica: its a little of both....
                          Jessica: there are 3 magnets instead of one
                          Jessica: so its really magnetic....
                          Jessica: and then the wider pole pieces spread the magnetic field for each string
                          Jessica: which makes it really responsive
                          Jessica: but the magnets are what give it the deeper crunch i think
                          (AIM SN's changed)

Look's like I'll be gettin an Invader and another DD to hack apart when I get the cash. The 85 in my Jackson ain't cuttin it, I think a DD with the screws replaced with the Invader's hex poles and magnets, or just the magnets, would sound *****in!

Wouldn't that just be an Invader then from her description above since the only difference is the polepieces and magnets???

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                            Has this ever been confirmed?
                            This has been confirmed in a few places that are being discussed right now on the board...
                            Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 11-17-2004, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Hmmm, I just got a set of 500k pots for my LP with JB & Jazz...

Hope it turns out OK, mind you, as they're in a LP instead of a Tele should help out the bass issue (I hope)
                              "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Working...
                              X