Gravity Picks feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity Picks feedback

I decided to make a thread regarding the feedback for Gravity Picks, since Chris was kind enough to send us samples. Post your experience here!

I received a Classic Standard red pick, presumably 1.5mm. I didn't request a specific pick, but just told him I currently use the Dunlop Tortex 1mm blue pick. I have to admit, there is a significant difference between these two. Usually, I find a pick that has the right thickness for my style and one that can last awhile before wearing down. The sample pick has opened my eyes, though I doubt my wallet.

The best description I can give on how they feel when playing is the Tortex is like plastic and the Gravity is like glass. Neither is better or worse, just different. The upper midrange seemed to jangle a bit more with the Tortex while the Gravity just sounded smooth and balanced all the way through, plugged or unplugged. The Tortex gave a bit rawer/raunchier tone due to that upper midrange, but the smooth/balanced sound really made every note sound equal (none louder or more pronounced than the other). Due to material differences, the Gravity pick seemed to effortlessly slide over the strings while the Tortex took the usually metal manpower. Over tight palmmutes or fast strum patterns, the smoothness of the Gravity pick really shown through.

All in all, the Gravity Classic is a phenomenal pick. I've never given much thought to which pick I use, but perhaps should reconsider. Then again, I have a rough time paying $5 per pick when I can get a dozen of Dunlop Tortex picks for the same price. We'll see how long the sample picks lasts befre I make my desicion. Thanks again, Chris!

http://www.gravitypicks.com/

Re: Gravity Picks feedback

Yup they're pretty sweet!

Got a Classic mini and a Striker mini today.

The CM is basically a Jazz III copy. It's Thinner like a red Jazz III but stiff like the black stiffo III. The sharper edges and the slick hard plastic-y material really adds a chirp to single notes; especially when you dig in with it angled. I'm liking it quite a bit and I'm thinking it's only going to get better as I break it in. Might take a while though as this plastic is super hard.

The SM is like a fat little III with rounded off edges. I don't find it particularly great for soloing and hard hitting rhythm work but it feels awesome on an acoustic for chord strumming. Glides effortlessly.

Both were excellently made without any flaws or rough edges and the overall look is really cool.

I'm impressed with em. I might pick up some more Classic Minis and let some friends try em.

Thanks again Chris and Gravity Picks!

Comment

Put my info in, looking forward to checking it out, thanks!
      -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
      -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Got a RAZOR XL today. played it for a few hours and the verdict for me is that i dont use jazz III XL's any longer
        After many years of using jazz III's the razor is perfect for me,it has the point and is frictionless against the strings. a Must for 64th note runs and sweeps
        and it still works great for the psycho blues licks that i play.
        pinch harmonics are effortless and there is a nice sting to the attack of the struck note, bent or normal. Im in the love these club. should i add him to my dream endorsment list?
        Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Yes Chris is sending me a few sample, I can't wait to check them out
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

I know my, and I suspect the other's, feelings about em are genuine. They're nice picks; nothing AMAZING, but nice. Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              I know my, and I suspect the other's, feelings about em are genuine. They're nice picks; nothing AMAZING, but nice. Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter one bit.
              I was honest,i used JAZZ III's for years and couldnt find a pick that would substitute it(one that made me put the jazz III down for more than a hour). the razor is the only so far. that could change in the future?
              nothing is end all.
              Last edited by Ed Hunter; 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                I have a rough time paying $5 per pick when I can get a dozen of Dunlop Tortex picks for the same price.

http://www.gravitypicks.com/
                That's not so bad... my best friends plays a lot of Bluegrass and he uses a BlueChip Pick, they cost $35-$75 a piece...
                Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                  That's not so bad... my best friends plays a lot of Bluegrass and he uses a BlueChip Pick, they cost $35-$75 a piece...
                  Whaaa???? do they come with a hooker?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hunter View Post
                    Whaaa???? do they come with a hooker?
                    Haha! I don't think so... lol http://shop.bluechippick.net/
                    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

got mine today..a 3.0 striker and a 1.5 mini classic.

i'm a big fan of 3.0 stubbys and the jazz III as well. I found the striker to be a little bit too fat at the tip. The taper applied to the end of the pick didn't quite get as narrow as I prefer. It felt more like a U and less like a V. However, I do like how stiff both of them felt. The 1.5 mini classic suited me much better and felt similar to the jazz but again, stiffer.

if i could do it again, I would like to try the razor mini 1.5

chris-
                      I think it would be cool if you could make a 3.0 that tapers down to a 1.5 at the tip. I like a fat feeling between the fingers but a narrow pointy point.

though my experience with picks is somewhat limited (over the past few months ive been experimenting a lot more), I think the quality is pretty good. I'm waiting to see how they wear as well.

Comment

I got home from work today to find my Gravity Picks sent from Chris in my mailbox. Since I've been using Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm Sharps for a few years, I decided to try his 1.5 mm Razor pick. In the package was the Razor (in red), along with his Classic pick (in orange).

Though there is something to be said for the natural bias imparted by getting something for free, this isn't the first free/promotional piece of guitar paraphernalia I've received and I'd like to think my inherent skepticism has mitigated any coloring of my impression.

Classic:

The Classic is a little clunky and inarticulate when applied by my playing style. It definitely packs a wallop, and imparts a very thick tone which I imagine would do well for blues, or for rock rhythm playing where you're chunking out big, fat chords.. but this effect is diminished when the pick is angled slightly for faster alternate-picked runs. Put to this use, the fatness of the pick washes out and my notes become undefined. I don't play with tons of gain so minor variances in timbre brought about by things like pick position and velocity really stand out. Also, the increased mass of such a thick pick doesn't really jive with my right-hand muscle memory, and I find myself almost off-balance when using it. They're just not a good fit for me.

I should add that one area where the Gravity picks are not at all like the [other acrylic picks] is the chirp - there really isn't one. That's another thing I never liked about [other acrylic picks] - there's a conspicuous "chirp" sound that they add to every pick stroke that grates on my ears. I don't know if the Gravity picks use a different material or a smoother edge radius, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to exhibit this tonal phenomenon.

Razor:

Three-word review: (second) Best Pick Ever.

Unlike the Classic, I absolutely love this pick. Tonally, it's almost identical to the sound of my beloved Ultex Sharps. Where it surpasses them is in it's really wicked point and in durability. This is the most precise pick I've ever used. There's just enough meat to hang onto and the rest of the pick is just pure playing surface. The slightly-increased mass and total lack of flex isn't enough to throw me off, but it is enough to impart enough power to the strings to really get the most of out each stroke. I find it beneficial to both alternate picking AND legato. Each note seems to jumps off the fretboard.

Most importantly, it feels like a perpetually-fresh Ultex Sharp. To put it into context: I wear the point down on an Ultex in about 2 hours of playing time. This has been my only complaint about those otherwise-brilliant picks. I burn the tips off well before I lose them. The Razor seems like a good solution for me. I've been using it all night, and aside from some very light scuffing along the edge, the point is as true as it was the moment I removed it from the envelope. Plus, it's bright red, so when I drop it on the carpet, it's easy to spot.

My only gripe is that the acrylic material isn't as grippy as some other brands offering similar products.

I also would like to thank Chris of Gravity Picks for giving us the chance to try his products for free - smart promotional move that it is, it's still a cool thing to do.
                        Last edited by sosomething; 06-28-2011, 09:09 AM. Reason: details edited for accuracy.
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Sounds interesting.
                          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I did some playing last night on a purple Classic and compared it with my Jazz Stubby 3.0, which has been my electric pick for the last decade or so. The Classic is larger than the Stubby but smaller than a "Fender" pick. My guess is that it was around 3.0mm.

This was just a first impression test. I only played for a few minutes and I was playing an electric not plugged in. However, I have to say that I really liked the Gravity and what really surprised me is when I went back to the Jazz Stubby, it felt less comfortable.

I need to do more testing in a variety of playing conditions. I have a gig this weekend and I'm going to try it in that setting. Also, I'm going to try it with my acoustic guitar, for which I always use a tortoise shell pick. That will be an interesting comparison.

My initial reaction is very positive.
                            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Tell the truth, Grump. How many emails have you sent to Vinny Smith about this already?
                              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Working...
                              X