I want a lovely, warm British style amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a lovely, warm British style amp

I have been giving a lot of thought to the idea of a different amplifier. For about 3 years, I have been in denial that instead of the mountains of Fenders I've tried and owned, what I actually want is probably a Les Paul and a british style amp.

I have given a pretty close online look at the Blackstar amps, but haven't found the time to go play them yet. Luckily, there is a store in town that stocks them. The same store also stocks Marshall.

I am not looking to crank it and get great rock or metal tone - I am looking more to play it at a reasonable volume, semi-clean, semi-crunchy.

There is a store in town that stocks Orange amps as well. I think that out of Marshall, Blackstar, and Orange, I should be able to find an amp that fits the sound in my head a little better, but I'm curious if there are any amps that either A) would nail what I'm going for, or B) that I haven't thought of.

I'm open to the used game, too. I am in no hurry, and live in a college town, so we see a decent revolving door of music gear on craigslist.

Here's a decent example of what kind of sounds I'm looking for:
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Re: I want a lovely, warm British style amp

Sounds I like:
    Flat sounding cleans ------------------------------------------------ General, warm, full soft rock tone

Comment

I think a lot of the tone I am after will be in a Les Paul, but a lot of it will also come from that "knock," that specific timbre of the EL34 sound. There's kind of a "clunk" to the attack of an EL34 amp (in general) that is difficult to describe, but I love the timbre of it. You can hear it a lot in the intro and clean sections of the Junior Varsity song I posted above.
      Last edited by ImmortalSix; 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I like the flatter response of the British style amps --- as opposed to the scoop sound of a Fender. I have worked with them for years, but I think that I have realized that I am after something that they inherently do not offer.

I don't want an amp that is all mids.

But I really like that flat frequency emphasis --- not the spiky highs of Fender, and not the all-mids stereotype of old Marshalls and such. Just a flat, full amp.

So, what should I check out?

Comment

I haven't slept in 30-some-odd hours but that Junior Varsity song made my brain feel like it was full of ants. Ants made entirely out of candy floss.

BIG MOTHER****ING ANTS.

Anyway, I'm going to recommend Orange because I recommend Orange in every thread, regardless of what people want.

What about thon wee Voxes? Was it you that had a Vox and hated it? Iuno. They're like...British. I think.

I don't know **** about Voxes, honestly.

I'm not even gonna remember making this post.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
            I haven't slept in 30-some-odd hours but that Junior Varsity song made my brain feel like it was full of ants. Ants made entirely out of candy floss.

BIG MOTHER****ING ANTS.

Anyway, I'm going to recommend Orange because I recommend Orange in every thread, regardless of what people want.

What about thon wee Voxes? Was it you that had a Vox and hated it? Iuno. They're like...British. I think.

I don't know **** about Voxes, honestly.

I'm not even gonna remember making this post.
            I have played (but never owned) Vox amps (not counting my Valvetronix practice amp), and I see them a lot like Stratocasters: some guys make them sound incredible, but I can't. In short, I like hearing a Vox recorded, but never got along with them as my amp.

I have never met an EL84 amp that I liked. I have heard clips of EL84 amps that sounded OK, but I have never played an EL84 amp and then thought "yeah, that was awesome!"

Comment

Carvin Legacy
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

Let me reiterate....

The Carvin Legacy is not just a Vai thing. It's an awesome El34 amp that sounds fantastic. I don't dig Vai's music or play anything remotely close to it, but love the amp.

CLEANS:

Simply the best clean on the market. Sparkling, CHimey, Bright, and well clean. It all that you want in a clean without having that Fender twang in it.

Clean channel takes pedals exceptionally well. Throw on an OD or Dist and you have your crunch.

Dirt channel is good. Can get heavier if you like, but seeing how that's not your thing, it can be dialed down for a crunchy rock rhythm or dial up the gain for a liquid sustain like lead.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

What is your budget? That will dictate what field of amps we will be looking at.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Sounds to me like someone asking for a hot dog that doesn't taste like a hot dog. Why bother?

FWIW- that second clip sounds exactly like a dimed EL84 Class A amp- Vox or otherwise.

And to actually make a suggestion- Rivera may have a few amps that would fit your needs in the El34 area.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Are you looking for a single or two channel amp? By the way, every EL84 amp I've ever player strikes me exactly the same as you described.
                      I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                        I have been giving a lot of thought to the idea of a different amplifier. For about 3 years, I have been in denial that instead of the mountains of Fenders I've tried and owned, what I actually want is probably a Les Paul and a british style amp.

I have given a pretty close online look at the Blackstar amps, but haven't found the time to go play them yet. Luckily, there is a store in town that stocks them. The same store also stocks Marshall.

I am not looking to crank it and get great rock or metal tone - I am looking more to play it at a reasonable volume, semi-clean, semi-crunchy.

There is a store in town that stocks Orange amps as well. I think that out of Marshall, Blackstar, and Orange, I should be able to find an amp that fits the sound in my head a little better, but I'm curious if there are any amps that either A) would nail what I'm going for, or B) that I haven't thought of.

I'm open to the used game, too. I am in no hurry, and live in a college town, so we see a decent revolving door of music gear on craigslist.

Here's a decent example of what kind of sounds I'm looking for:
                        I am not familiar with these Blackstar amps, but for what you describe I would take a close look at the Vox line. One of my all time favotite amps that I have never owned is the AC30. Its loud, but it also has a unique tone. I have always loved the AC30 great amp!
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Orange Tiny Terror, or Ac15. I know you said you didn't vibe with Vox, but the 15s seem to have a different feel to em. At least to me

Comment

find a vox with the ef86 channel, i think youll like what you hear

Comment

If it is an EL84 amp you are seeking as people here think, how about a used Marshall DSL401 (40 watts combo) or DSL201 (20 watt combo)? Or even Marshall's current production Class 5?
                              Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 08-25-2011, 09:47 AM.
                              Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                              Roland Cube 60
                              Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                              BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                              LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                              Mogami Cables
                              Mooer Candy Toppers
                              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                              Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Working...
                              X