Warm up tips: PART I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up tips: PART I

As promised, here is my first installment of warmup exercises.
    Sorry I had to break up the tab into so many sections; the file attachment size is very low here!

There are two major sections to this exercise:
    Section 1 - Finger Gymnastic #1
    Section 2 - Major Scale, Position 1

Finger Gymnastic #1
    This is a great warm up exercise, in a series of about a dozen or so that I do each day as part of my practice routine. It takes me about 25 minutes or so to run through all of them. I string all of them together and play em back to back. It is also a great pre-show warmup, becuase it helps you focus, and more importantly, you don't need to hear what you're doing. So, when you're warming up in the back of a club, just before you get on stage, you know you're going to be in good form when you get up there.

As with all of the exercises I'm going to be sharing, make sure accuracy precedes speed. Start with a metronome set at about 130bpm and play the entire ascending/descending/diagnal phrase. If you can play it faster, then bump it up to where it's comfortable for you. I usually play it at about 200bpm.

This exercise follows the finger per fret rule. That is, your left hand position stays the same regardless of what string you're playing, until you move up or down to the next fret over.

The fingering for the 1st exercise is 1-2-3-4 ascending, and 4-3-2-1 descending. You want to play it as strict alternate picking, as indicated in the attached jpeg.

Notice that there is an accent on the first note of each measure. You pick this note a bit harder than the rest in order to create dynamics. It is also a great introduction to alternate time signatures, because the only thing you need know about odd time sigs is where the accents fall. So, these are played 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, etc etc ...

You ascend and descend chromatically, as the jpeg will demonstrate.

Major Scale Position 1
    This is the first position of the major scale. It is played with the finger per fret rule, with one position shift for the last couple of notes. If you want to play this scale on another fret, then you substitute the open string with a first finger bar.

Play the scale ascending and descending. Don't let any notes ring out.

-------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy the exercises and get some kind of benefit out of them.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Warm up tips: PART I

thanks dude... are there going to be any guitar pro files????
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

I do have the original guitar pro files. The jpeg's are exports from GP4. I don't know if the file will be small enough, but I can certainly try to attach it.

Comment

thanks man.. gonna try this out today

Comment

Twilight=Forum Shaman

Thanks, bro-beaths the hell out of 25 jumping jacks
          Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
            Twilight=Forum Shaman

Thanks, bro-beaths the hell out of 25 jumping jacks
            You're welcome!

Anyone else try em? Any questions, comments?

Comment

Hey TO.

Thanx for taking the time to do this mate. If there's 1 area where I need help, it's what to practise when I pick my guitar up

Craig

Comment

TO, that's fairly close to one of the things I do. I don't do it at neary 205 bpm, however... maybe more like 105 bpm... but like you said, accuracy before speed. I have noticed that speed has changed quite a bit over the last year without even thinking much about it.

I've also noticed it slower for me to ascend than to descend. Never figured out why.

Also, Matt's warm-up tip: Warm up. I mean, put your hands under warm running water, wash them with soap - make it sort of a religious experience. Don't play unclean.
                Originally posted by Scott_F
                On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Ben, you're a bloddy legend. :thumbsup:

Matt, thats good advice - point taken.
                  Originally posted by Kanye West
                  Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

i did the 1st warmup 1 finger per fret ever since i got the adrian smith guitar.com video, but it's a bit diferent than that, still, very very cool ben =)

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                      i did the 1st warmup 1 finger per fret ever since i got the adrian smith guitar.com video, but it's a bit diferent than that, still, very very cool ben =)
                      They get progressively more interesting after the 1st one ... Gotta make sure you have the basics down first, tho!

Comment

i still suck at it

Comment

Thanks TO, got em, will try this in the next few days... this should help a self-taught wanker

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                          Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
                            Thanx for taking the time to do this mate. If there's 1 area where I need help, it's what to practise when I pick my guitar up
                            Yeah thanks, they are really good TO.

They stop me picking up the guitar and then thinking "umm, where to start..."
                            "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Thanx for the replies, fellas.

I'm working on Part 2 tonight ...

Comment

Working...
                              X