Oddball old marshall on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball old marshall on ebay

Not to take anything away from Lew's auction, but my tastes more to combo amps, and the bizarre. Bizarre combo amps are the ultimate:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I've never seen one like this - a JMP, 100-watt, non-master volume head in a single twelve combo!?! Sombody at Marshall must have panic'd when the first Boogies came out, and the resulting mental stress caused them to conclude this was an appropriate response and a good idea.

Oh, boy, the fun I could have with this thing:

Unsuspecting victim: "Aww... look at the little baby Marshall. It's so cute!
    Me (Tele in hand, all knobs on 10): KRAAAAAANGGG!!!!!! (Unsuspecting victim flies through opposite wall.)

With basket-weave gril cloth, to boot. ME WANT!

Me buying another house in one week (me not yet sold old house). Me broke. Me no bid.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Oddball old marshall on ebay

´S still dirt cheep, too.... if I were US I´d probably have to figure out how to scratch the funds together
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

one came into my luthiers shop a few weeks ago in PURPLE and the guy was thinking of selling it. pretty cool amp in purple.

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Wow. I hadn't seen one of those in forever. Those came with a Celestion 12" PowerCell speaker.

What I love about Marshall is the combos are the same exact circuit as the heads in the tube amp lines. Other manufactures tend to change things here and there between the two.

Somebody go after that thing.

Comment

Def someone should snatch that beeatch up..if anything you can put the guts into a box if you don't have use for the combo.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Nah... just carry the combo to rehearsal, and stick it on top of a 4x12 for gigs.

I don't understand why I want this amp so bad - I have absolutely no use for it. Oh, sure I could buy a big attenuator and use them together to turn perfectly good EL34's into waste heat....

It's just not practical and we responsible grown-up parent types have to be practical.

Now, if it was a 2203 head in there....
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
              Nah... just carry the combo to rehearsal, and stick it on top of a 4x12 for gigs.

I don't understand why I want this amp so bad - I have absolutely no use for it. Oh, sure I could buy a big attenuator and use them together to turn perfectly good EL34's into waste heat....

It's just not practical and we responsible grown-up parent types have to be practical.

Now, if it was a 2203 head in there....
              Oh yeah, the 2203 is very practical there, Rich.

But I have to agree with you.

That amp is what you'd call a sleeping giant. Your "victim through wall" scenario explains why.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
                Oh yeah, the 2203 is very practical there, Rich.
                At least it has a master volume.

Actually, I used to own a JMP 2203 combo. Mine was a 2x12. I put it together myself - found a 50-watt combo, swapped the chassis with a 2203 head that I had, and put in a pair of EVM-12Ls. The word "heavy" comes to mind. I had to install a couple of 2x4 mounting blocks to keep the 2203 chassis from tearing itself loose. Sadly, that amp was stolen in '84 along with an entire van-load of gear.

It was my "Neil Geraldo Special"; he played JMP 2230 combos with EV's back around the 2nd & 3rd Benatar albums, and I loved his tone. I saw him in Philly around '83 - he was running six of those monsters.

So, this is only one amp - can I have it, Mom? Pleeeease?
                Last edited by Rich_S; 12-20-2005, 10:31 AM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

Yeah, the MV would be useful. Gotta love those old tube combos. Sorry that it got stolen. If someone walked off with my Marshall I'd be torn. When the time is right, I'd still like to get a 2204 combo or a 2500 MkIII combo.

Comment

Yeah, I replaced the stolen amp with a JCM800 2230 1/4 stack (more EV's in a 2x12 cab), then later downsized to a 2204 model 4010 combo. That was another great little sleeper of an amp. The NMV 100 watter just looks like ridiculously more fun, though.

And it has basket-weave grill cloth.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

Comment

Those old combos are killer and a lot of people don't know that they are the same chasis as the head, same exact amp, just a different enclosure. Heavy as hell though due to the tranny's and the speakers.

I can envision your KRAAAAANGG!!! scenario in my head... That makes it worth it right there.

Comment

This gets weirder - and I'm falling in love. I looked at the Dr. Tube Marshall site, which describes the 2150 as a master volume amp. Huh?

So I looked at the schematics. Sure enough, it's a 4-input normal/bright head with a post-PI master volume added. Count the knobs in the photo (from the right) normal, bright, treble, middle, bass, presence, master volume - seven knobs. What!?!

Ya learn sumpin new every day. But it's still not practical.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

Comment

You're right. That makes it even more appealling, practical or not. I hate having no play money.

Comment

Who wants to get me this thing for xmas? Give the gift of tone....

-X
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                            X