pups for baritone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pups for baritone

I'm playing a B-tuned baritone now, and no don't expect dreaded nu-metal as soon as you hear "baritone" My invader isn't exactly cutting it, it has way too much mids and bass and gets really muddy when playing fast
    I've heard good things about dimbebucker's and JB's clarity. So i'm contimplating putting in a dime/59 or JB/Jazz. I suppose either would work well, I am just wondering how each of these combos would work under my circumstances and what luck you've had with them, thanx; I play thrash and I obviously need something that will stay clear, because this muddyness while grinding on the low B is just killing me

Re: pups for baritone

Have you considered the Custom for the bridge position, it's clearer than the Dimebucker and it's got more bottom end than the JB, yet stays amazingly clear and your notes will still be defined perfectly. I heard it matches up great with the '59. The Custom also sounds more agressive than the JB and I think it'll be a better choice than the JB for trash music.
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

alright, I'll give that a try as well, anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

i'd say a custom coz its really clear sounding when you tune down. its got nice bass on it as well

a jb may work also, i have no experience with a JB in a downtuned axe but i know George Lynch uses one in his baritone so it must work.

But IMO i'd have the Custom in the bridge, you wont be disappointed trust me
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I think the Distortion would be more suited to thrash than the Custom...
          Originally posted by The Minstrel
          Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I wonder if a Hybrid made from an Invader and a Jazz might do the trick.

Maybe one made from a Distortion and a '59, but use a ceramic magnet.

DiMarzio seems to be onto a good thing with their Drop Sonic, and much of their logic lies within taking one coil tuned for thick, high-output thunder, and one coil tuned for low output clarity.

You could maybe make your own Duncan version of the Drop Sonic.

Comment

Go to http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm Humbucker Turns Calculated 1&2. Start grouping pickups by gauge then resistance, then by magnet. Example the SD, DDn, and C type pickups use the same gauge wire, although that hybrid I just did was based purely on the sound of the two pickups individualy over lapped one on top the another in my head. Turned out close to what I thought it would. If one PU has a peak and the other has a peak at a different freq the hybrid will have two peaks. Part I couldn't predict is how much output (how the two different peaks would compare in output) it would have at different frequencys.
              Last edited by Lightning; 06-07-2004, 12:15 AM.
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

A DD would match better it is more agressive than the JB with a lot of clarity.i think it s the one!
                Duncan Distortion Rules!!!

Comment

It indeed is, but I always feel a baritone guitar should never lack bass since it's meant for low tuning. The Distortion sometimes tends to be bright, the Custom however usually has enough bass, with no lack in treble, mids and clarity. I read a review on the Lynch Baritone, which said the JB didn't really fit the guitar, it's most likely because of the little amount of bass.
                  Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                  Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                  Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                  Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                  Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I use a JB in my C tuned guitar with no difficulties. Plenty of bass, and the pickups mids help keep definition. Bass is no problem, as I usually have to turn the bass down to keep the tone from going muddy.

DiMarzio PAF and PAF Pros are said to work well in A and B tuned guitars.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've use a JB from E down to A, and love it.
                      It's also really hard to argue with EMGs in low tunings.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                      X