pre-amp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-amp tubes

can anyone suggest some pre-amp tubes that will improve the overdrive channel in my fender blues deville 410? i has a nice warm tone, but not near enough distortion. or , would i be better off going with a pedal?

my guitar is a peavey tracer, poplar body, maple neck/rosewood board. kahler spyder trem, hum, single, single pickups(stock).

i want a versitle overdrive sound, not a one trick pony, and plan on getting a screaming deamon for the bridge later. thanks

putting higher gain tubes in your deville will help but will also change your clean tone as well. the blues is a medium gain amp, you can get a little more from it with a new set of tubes but if you want high gain, youll need a pedal

Comment

thats what i thought. i am thinking about the ToneBone Hot British. thoughts?

Comment

I would recommend the Fulltone Full-Drive 2 ...
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

change out your pickups. the peavey tracer pickups leave alot to be desired. trust me on this. i had one. also, the fender hot rod isnt a bad amp. they are biased a bit cold, too.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

my amp is a blues deville, not the hot rod deville. i think mine is a copy of the '59 bassman, whereas the hotrod has the extra drive channel for distortion.

i am thinking about getting a screamin deamon for my bridge. then maybe some different tubes, then a pedal. i want my guitar and amp to be the main source of my tone. am i on the right track here?

Comment

If you like the sound of your pups but just need more oomph you could try overdriving your amp with a clean boost or with an od pedal with the drive turned down.

Comment

To be honest, I like your amp better than the Hotrods.
                If the tubes are old, I'd replace them, but they won't add the kinda gain you're looking for.

With Duncans in your guitar and a good OD pedal, you should be able to get the sound you want. Don't waste your money when buying OD's, go for the best. I'd suggest.

Banzai Fireball
                Fulltone FDII
                Tonebone (Classic or HB)

There's a lot of other good one's, but it's best to check harmony reviews, just to avoid buying one that doesn't work for your style.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

oops my bad. they are still biased cold, IIRC. good luck!!

germ
                  Jeremy Ledford
                  Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                  Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
                    change out your pickups. the peavey tracer pickups leave alot to be desired. trust me on this. i had one. also, the fender hot rod isnt a bad amp. they are biased a bit cold, too.

germ
                    did you upgrade the pickups in your tracer? if so, what did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                      To be honest, I like your amp better than the Hotrods.
                      If the tubes are old, I'd replace them, but they won't add the kinda gain you're looking for.

With Duncans in your guitar and a good OD pedal, you should be able to get the sound you want. Don't waste your money when buying OD's, go for the best. I'd suggest.

Banzai Fireball
                      Fulltone FDII
                      Tonebone (Classic or HB)

There's a lot of other good one's, but it's best to check harmony reviews, just to avoid buying one that doesn't work for your style.
                      good advice from gj right there and i agree, i like the blues better than the hot rods

Comment

Working...
                      X