No announcement yet.

Power tubes for 1977 Marshall JMP MV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power tubes for 1977 Marshall JMP MV?

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
    It has a pair of Teonex EL34s that were in it when I bought it last year, but it sounded a lot better when I swapped in some used Marshall-branded Svetlanas. I currently have old Mullards in V1 and V2 and a Marshall-branded Sovtek (I think) in the PI.

Compared to my memory of my old 2104 combo it sounds a little harsh - I'd like to warm up the mids. I'm also finding that when the volume gets above 6 the distortion sounds over-saturated - hard to describe, but there's an edge to it I don't like. I don't remember hearing that in my old 2104. Hopefully it's just a case of getting the right tubes and bias.
    The SED Winged C's will give you some warm mids. If you went with the JJ's go with the regular EL34's, as the E34L's and KT77's move a little of their mids to the upper and lower registers. You can rarely go wrong with a Mullard, but it is pricey. Each of these tubes give it's own sound, and I am pretty fond of the JJ sound myself. You mileage may vary. Sounds like a great amp Simon. I'm jealous.

I think I would dump those Sovtek's in the pre for something warmer also, like a JJ ECC803S. A Ruby ECC83 is pretty creamy and middy if you can find one.
    Last edited by wixedmords; 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F View Post
      Thanks Stevie. Was it this one?
      Yup! That's the one.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I've got a set of EH EL-34s in my 81 Park- same amp different color faceplate and tolex.
        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
        Originally posted by Slash2987
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        Originally posted by PVFan
        I'm a good sex man.
        Originally posted by Grumpy
        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've ordered a pair of JJ EL34s - not the E34Ls, this thing is quite loud enough! I've used JJ ECC83s before and liked them a lot, so I have faith in the brand. I'll let you know how they turn out.

It's actually pretty tempting to buy a few of the others too and have a (noisy) shootout....

Comment

Working...
          X