Marshall DSL401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL401

I might be able to snag one of these for REAL cheap. Its used though (from 2000 I think), and has an (just one I know of) Issue.

Dude says it tends to over heat after being on a long period of time (like an hour and a half or 2 hours) and pop fuses. He says he's had it looked at and the tech said theres nothing wrong with it, but that the early years of those amps had a tendency to do that.

So heres my question. Does anyone know what the actual cause of that is? Or is there nothing else wrong with em that cause that? And if its Not a big issue (tell me if it is please) is there anything that could be done to make it not do that?
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Marshall DSL401

Good amp for cheap? Why not if you want it! Could just be a simple solder joint or biasing.

I'd go for it if you want and just play under an hour each time?

Comment

It was an issue, but a lot of people fit a fan to keep the heat down. If you can get it for a good price, go for it and add a fan.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Christobevii3 View Post
        Good amp for cheap? Why not if you want it! Could just be a simple solder joint or biasing.

I'd go for it if you want and just play under an hour each time?

Yeah, I've been reading HC reviews (which I know aren't the best source of info) and It seems basically everyone thats had those amps has had an issue with over heating. Alot said getting a little fan installed helps the problem alot, So thats makein me alot more into this, haha. If all I'de need to do is to get a fan installed (or just run a fan behind it to pull air out). The speaker has also been upgraded to a vintage 30, so thats an added plus I think.

The Price seems really cheap ($500), but I'm still a tad worried about the over heating issue, seems like that could lead to other problems (cold solder joints, etc..). And the fact that he's selling it so Cheap kinda seems a bit odd, makes me think theres more wrong with it than he's sayin. But I have been known to be overly paranoid.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
          It was an issue, but a lot of people fit a fan to keep the heat down. If you can get it for a good price, go for it and add a fan.
          So adding a fan Really will keep the heat down alot? If thats seriously all I'de need to do to make it not overheat, I think I'de have to be retarded to not buy this, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
            So adding a fan Really will keep the heat down alot? If thats seriously all I'de need to do to make it not overheat, I think I'de have to be retarded to not buy this, haha.
            It seems to be a must have mod for the earlier ones.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I have an early model that's a paper weight at the moment. Only really got a year use out of it. It indeed ran VERY hot. I remember something about an under engineered section of the amp....transformer or maybe rectifier circuitry that caused ealry units to fail. Check the Marshall forum for exact details.

The amp had the classic Marshall distortion but the cleans were just so-so in my book. But it was the best Marshall clean I've experienced. A nice small gig amp....when it worked.

Comment

I had one for a couple of years, Robbiedbee owns it now. It did run hot, but it is an EL84 amp, which do run hot anyway. Adding a fan would solve the problem.

I loved it for the classic marshall sounds, Maiden, AC/DC etc, and only sold it becuase i wanted a similar thing on a bigger scale and ended up with my 2203 half stack. The cleasns on the DSL were definately better than those of my 2203.
                "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Marshall appears to have made a change to the amp in early 03' that caused it to run a bit cooler, if memory serves me correctly. I remember a guy on the Marshall Forum doing a lot of investigation into the issue. An email to Marshall directly should give you an answer on that the update entails.
                  Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                  Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

I had one of these about a year ago, got it from a guy on these forums too for $400!! It was all stock, but i couldnt let it go. Anyhow, did alot of reading on the amp before i actually received it, and it has to do with one of the micro chips towards the front panel that really gets cooking after a while. Mine never got really bad to do any harm, but after 2 hours or so the knobs would be very very warm, to where moving knobs had to be done quickly. I say buy it man, chances are he uses it in a very warm space anyway. Ambiet temperature can have a big impact on something like that.
                    Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
                    Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
                    Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
                    Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
                    Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Working...
                    X