Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 30th Anniversary

Still looking

I have a line on a 30th Anniversary Head. 3 Channels from what I read about these they are really nice amps. Anyone with any info I would appriciate it.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Re: Marshall 30th Anniversary

I am extremely interested in the combo version. Not sure if giving up my Mesa Mark III is a good idea though...
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Comment

I was in the market for one as well, until disaster struck and the funds went away, lol. What I've found out from the net and a couple of people who owned them are this: There were three different variations. The first which is the all brass model and was hand wired (I'm not sure if it's a breadboard or pcb), big, big money now. Like at least two grand or more for a head and about the same for a matching cab. This is an EL34 amp and is branded the 6100LE for limited edition. Supposedly the best sounding Marshall anyone's ever heard who has heard it. Next is the blue tolex, white logo amp. Basically the same as the brass but more of a production model. Again, supposed to sound incredible. The general consensus on these amps is that the cleans are pretty good, but not Fender good. Hey, it's a Marshall though, not a Fender. The middle channel is the best for anything from 60s to JCM800 tones and the third channel is a matter of taste. Supposed to be a really modern distortion. Some people really like it for leads, some hate it. This one is the 6100.

Lastly is the 6100LM which has 6L6 tubes instead of the EL34s. I'm not sure what's different here but the third channel was modified in some way and I've not heard anything good about it. The first and second channel supposedly are the same, but because of the tubes it's not as "open" sounding as the others. The scoop on these amps are that you can simply use EL34s with a biasing and it will get the same tone as the 6100 except for that modified third channel.

The reliability problems are supposed to be with the combos because of the heat generated and not too good ventilation. I've not heard of any problems with a head save for one HC review.

Now, I don't own one and have never heard one in person nor do I know anyone who owns one so what I've put down is just what I've gathered from research. I went to a few Marshall chat rooms, this forum, HC and word of mouth from music store owners and friends. As with all research, it could be all right, part right, or all crap, lol. But I hope I've helped you out. By the way, some guitarist named Johnny A. uses the combos almost exclusively. I don't know who he is, but he's got a $4000 Gibson signature model, so I guess he knows amps too, lol.

Get the guaranteed best price on Guitar Amplifier Cabinets like the Marshall 1960AC or 1960BC 100W 4x12 Guitar Extension Cabinet at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands...
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I had heard about them and gathered as well. It may be a little too much amp for me. I am going to give it some thought. The guy thats seling it sounds like he may already have it sold. I am going to reach out to him this weekend and see. Thanks.
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I still want you to buy the purple one so I can borrow it for the video shoot with John's Bigsby-ied LP.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
            I still want you to buy the purple one so I can borrow it for the video shoot with John's Bigsby-ied LP.

Did he do that yet?? I know he has been talking about it. Cris wants me to buy a Komet!! I would love to have one, but $$$$$$$ Yikes! The VM may be in the future. I think th30th Anniversary might be too gainy for me.

Comment

Ah, these are amazing amps!

Beautiful clean (NO, it;s not a Fender) that you CAN play JAZZ on - ask Johnny A

Channel 2 is AMAZINGGGGGGG - the JTM 45 and Plexi settings rock, the 800/900 setting is very thick and nice but still very much a classic Marshall. Beautiful mids. You can switch these amps down to 25w, but it will still be kinda loud.

The Triode option gives you a nice bluesy creamy tone.

Channel 3 is not much for tone or usefulness. It cuts though, so you can make it your solo boost.

The FX loop is SOOO nice, esp in Parallel, os you can get reverb or delay, but let the amp sing on its own!

MIDI is awesome too!

Why did I sell it? EVERY TECH I have known says it was HELL to work on, and that one false move and it could be dead meat.
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
              X