No announcement yet.

Looking at single channel amps: help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at single channel amps: help!!!

Hey guys!

I've finally narrowed down my style of amp choice to a single channel amp. I want an amp that has no bells and whistles and is as straight forward as possible.

Here are the features I want:
    - 30- 50 watts max
    - FX loop
    - single channel operation but with a prea amp/power amo design (Class A/B right?)

I am NOT looking for a Fender. I want a single channel amp that goes from blues to hard rock tones, I want a decent clean up to something like AC/DC tones to be able to get 80s metal tones with pedals. I guess you could say I am looking for something with a vintage tone but a hint of modern tone and features!

The Genz Benz Black Pearl comes to mind so far but I can not think of any other amps really. Throw me some ideas guys!
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: Looking at single channel amps: help!!!

You can pick up a Peavey VTM60 for less than $300. All tube, single channel, FX loop. Put some good tubes in it and it'll do everything you asked for..........
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

How do the clean tones sound?
      Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
      Ibanez RG1570 Custom
      PRS McCarty STD
      '71 Gibson SG Custom
      Bogner Alchemist 2x12
      Vox AD15VT

Comment

1987 Plexi RI
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Honestly though, how good would an 87x sound for blues? Aren't those basically JCM 800 reissues?
          Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
          Ibanez RG1570 Custom
          PRS McCarty STD
          '71 Gibson SG Custom
          Bogner Alchemist 2x12
          Vox AD15VT

Comment

how about the Laney GH50L? isnt that pretty much what your looking for?
            #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
            #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
            #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
            #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
            #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
            Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
            Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
            Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

The Laney GH50L is a great sounding amp, but is a little too high gain for what I am looking for. Let me better state what I am looking for.

A single channel amp with a Marshall style voicing. Breaks up well but isn't a flabby break up and sounds thick and clear witout being muffled. I also want to be able to throw an OD or distortion pedal in front of it to get it cooking for hard rock to classic metal. 80% of the time I will be playing blues and hard rock though so the metal flavor is not essentiall.
              Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
              Ibanez RG1570 Custom
              PRS McCarty STD
              '71 Gibson SG Custom
              Bogner Alchemist 2x12
              Vox AD15VT

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
                Honestly though, how good would an 87x sound for blues? Aren't those basically JCM 800 reissues?

No they are not. They are a Plexi RI. This is the amp that Hendrix, Clapton and Page used in the late 60's and early 70's. EC used the 100W version of the 2245 Jimi used the 1959 100W Plexi, so did Page) They are a very different sounding amp then the 800. They can be very agressive, but can also be very clean. SRV used a Plexi for a lot of his clean stuff. The big problem with these amps is they really don't sound great until you crank them. To do that they can be unplayable in some clubs, thats why a common mod to this amp is a Master volume.

Another issue is what kind of blues you are talking about. If you are talking Chicago Blues then a Bassman RI or a low powered Tweed Twin might serve you better for this style, but if you are talking british Blues than a 2245 Marshall would be an excellent choice.

Here are the amps I would consider:

Marshall 1987 (50W Plexi RI) Great for Blues and Classic Rock)
                Marshall 2245 (30W handwired head, basically a BluesBreaker in a head)

Fender Bassman RI (40Watts 4 10" speakers) great Blues amp....... No Reverb
                Fender 57 Tweed Twin (50 watt 2 12" tweed combo). Clapton used these for the Cream reunion tour and his most recent shows as well as the last few records he did.
                Last edited by Bludave; 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Celtic Edana
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                    1987 Plexi RI
                    Yeap... that, or a jmt45 with el34 (i think they are called jtm50 but I am not sure)

with the right tubes in the amp and a nice pedal (and maybe a weber attenuator if you need one) you ll be all set!

+ I would suggest going with a ready built kit amp rather than the "real deal"... I don't have any experience with one or the other myself but when it comes to vintage amps many people prefer kit builders instead of the re-issue versions.

This is because the ready built kit will be more faithful to the original nad it will be closer to the real deal than the re-issue... I really don't know since I never compared an old plexi to a re issue one...

This is just another thing for you to consider and since you don't want the specific vintage plexi tone, it is not an absolute necesity.

and btw a new re-issue is most of the times more expesive than an exact ready built kit clone...
                    Originally posted by Marinblues
                    Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Comment

Used Traynor Bass Master may work for you as well.
                      Last edited by drpietrzak; 03-12-2007, 12:19 PM.

Comment

What is the difference between the 87x and 1959 reissue? Both Plexi reissues right?
                        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                        PRS McCarty STD
                        '71 Gibson SG Custom
                        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                        Vox AD15VT

Comment

Check this out, it's the history of marshalls and description for each one...

Originally posted by Marinblues
                          Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ View Post
                            How do the clean tones sound?
                            They clean up pretty nicely with the gain down......although I never really used it for cleans. They're basically Peavey's version of a JCM800 with 6L6 power tubes......
                            Sure, it's not a Marshall, but for the money they don't sound bad, someone here had clips a while back........
                            Last edited by metlking; 03-12-2007, 04:10 PM.
                            Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
                            "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X