1964-1967 Era Fender Bassman Blackface amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964-1967 Era Fender Bassman Blackface amps

What are your thoughts on these great 50 watt tone monster amps? Any stories, pics, favorite circuit ( AA864, AA165, AB165) etc..40 years have now passed since the last Blackfaces...

Re: 1964-1967 Era Fender Bassman Blackface amps

If you have any questions or hang-ups about them, you just haven't played one yet. Go buy or play one or something.

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      If you have any questions or hang-ups about them, you just haven't played one yet. Go buy or play one or something.

-X
      Of course I have one!! Just thought i'd start a thread about this great amp and hear your stories about them (I have a '64).

Comment

Nice. I wish I had a Blackface...but a Silverface with Blackface circuitry is just as good. Perfect tone 'bases'...

-X

Comment

Nice. I wish I had a Blackface...but a Silverface with Blackface circuitry is just as good. Perfect tone 'bases'...

-X
          Very cool..What do you play through it guitar-wise? Do you add any dirt pedals to it?

Comment

I've had 2 of them- I didn't like either of them.

They had 3 modes.

Clean.

Clean LOUD.

Saturated.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't be great for anyone- just that they didn't work for me.
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

I have a 67 Bandmaster, would love to have a Bassman though, as soon as my budget permits. I've heard great things about them.
              2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
              1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

-X
                But isnt' yours for sale? lol
                Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

I had a Silver Face AB165. It was pretty dirty past about 4. I tryed several experimental mods, just for kicks and giggles, but eventually it ended up pretty close to AA864 specs. In the sweet spot, about 5 1/2. you could have a great clean or push it a bit. Wonderfull for blues. The main thing with a SF is to get rid of the tube balance thingy, and get a real bias adjustment in there. I renewed the resistors and caps from cathode to ground on the pre-amp tubes to AA864. This really helped crear up some noise issues, and smoothed out the treble.

Comment

I own a '66 Bassman head. I play it through a Fender 4x12 cab. Not sure of the year of the cab.
                    I usually use a Tubescreamer in front of it with my Strats when I want some grit and chunky old R&R drive.
                    But that usually sucks some of the tone. It sounds best with nothing between it and the guitar. I just had the caps replaced and some of the resistors that had drifted from spec.
                    Now it sounds smooth and rich and mellow. I sound like one of those old cigarette ads you'd hear on TV don't I? LOL
                    i go back and forth between my Marshall RI Bluesbreaker combo and my Bassman. Both sound really loud with the volume about 1/3 the way up. That is about as loud as I can stand without ear plugs.

Comment

Guitar player in one of my old bands had a blackface Bandmaster stacked in the corner of his garage. When I enquired about it, he stated that it hadn't worked in years. He then proceeded to pull it out and gave it to me, saying he was tired of looking at it. I took it home pulled the tubes and sprayed electronic cleaner on the sockets. Replaced the tubes (the originals) Fired it up and it worked like a charm and sounded killer. I used it for the next 6 years until I traded it for a JCM800.
                      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Recently got a 68, with 67 chassis stamp. AB165, that amp on the bass channel is lush, fat, rock and roll heaven,, built for playing nothing but sleaze. I just love it.
                        ]
                        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I used my AB 165 'Silverface' converted to "Blackface" (By Jeff Seal) Fender Bassman to drive my Fender Vibratone.

Nice tone! THINK - SRV, Jimi, etc... Notice setting uses jumped channels and volume set between 6~7
                          Last edited by Stratman; 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM.
                          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by saladin View Post
                            Guitar player in one of my old bands had a blackface Bandmaster stacked in the corner of his garage. When I enquired about it, he stated that it hadn't worked in years. He then proceeded to pull it out and gave it to me, saying he was tired of looking at it.
                            COOL !!

Why is it that something even close to this never happens to me?
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Comment

Originally posted by krall View Post
                              Very cool..What do you play through it guitar-wise? Do you add any dirt pedals to it?
                              Umm just my SG or the pile of Fenders that's laying around, either a DS-1 for a touch of crunch or a Double Muff for a wall of fuzz. Always jump the channels.

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                              But isnt' yours for sale? lol
                              Haha, only if someone offers me the right amount. I really like the amp a lot but for the right price I could be talked into something smaller and more 'practical,' kinda hard to have a half stack in my situation.

-X

Comment

Working...
                              X