banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping channels on a '65 BandMasrter head? (Stratman)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping channels on a '65 BandMasrter head? (Stratman)

Stratman posted a pic of his Bassman head with the channels jumped in this thread:

Can the channels be safely jumped on a '65 BandMaster head? Are there any precautions when doing/using this concept?

What is the advantage of jumping the channels?
    (I did do a search of Amplifier Central...came up empty)

Thanks

Dave
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Re: Jumping channels on a '65 BandMasrter head? (Stratman)

All Fender BF/SF reverb models have channels that are out of phase. (I'm not certain if this is true on the Non-verb models?) Before I was aware of this I would jumper my Twin with a A/B box. (I wondered why the amp sounded strange with both channels on? ) The advantage is you can set one channel for your rhythm work, Than kick the other one on for a lead boost.
    Here is a nifty Lil' device that solves the phase issue.
    http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

on non-reverb models you can jump the channels. in the reverb models the vibrato channel has one extra gain stage which puts that channel out of phase with the other. its a non-issue on the non-reverb models

Comment

So jumping the channels (in phase on non reverb BF's) puts the preamps in parallel. Not to be difficult, but to those who jumper, what is the benefit of that in your tone? I've tried it before, and I think it warms the tone up some...is that why you guys do it?
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

yeah i think it gives a bigger wider tone

Comment

I have made Y cables (female jack to two mono 1/4 plugs) for this as well as 4-channel Marshall's and clones...seems to work pretty well and a lot players prefer the sound this way.
            Lava Man
            Lava Cable
            Your One-Stop High End Custom Cable Shop

Comment

I thought you couldn't jump the early Blackface AA864 circuit because they were out of phase? Can anyone confirm that?
              Last edited by krall; 05-16-2007, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by krall View Post
                I thought you couldn't jump the early Blackface AA854 circuit because they were out of phase? Can anyone confirm that?
                We just went over this? If it's a reverb model, you can't do it without an extra box to do so to flip the phase around. On a non-reverb model you can. Simple as that. No blackface this, silverface that...it's a reverb issue.
                Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Many thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

Dave
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Comment

Any non-reverb fender amp is OK to jump; however, reverb based fender amps are out of phase and sound like it.

When jumping channels, you can dial in a bigger tone/sound.

It's an old trick - Jimi and (Early-Bluesbreaker) Clapton used it all the time.
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                      We just went over this? If it's a reverb model, you can't do it without an extra box to do so to flip the phase around. On a non-reverb model you can. Simple as that. No blackface this, silverface that...it's a reverb issue.
                      I always thought you couldn't jump from the AA 864 (Blackface) circuit..After some research it turns out i'm right! Bassman's with this circuit do not have reverb and the channels are out of phase..You cannot jump! Here's a quote:

"I think all 6G6s are additive.(can be jumped)
                      AA864 is not additive. (cannot jump)
                      AA165 is not additive. (cannot jump)
                      AB165 is additive. (can be jumped)

The two channels on the AA864 and the AA165 are out of phase and so are not additive in volume because of odd and even number of preamp stages on the two channels."

Comment

Working...
                      X