banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are those Crate tube Palomino amps any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are those Crate tube Palomino amps any good?

Thinking about ditching solid-state and getting a simple (not too many knobs), nice clean tube amp that likes distortion/effect pedals.

So, are those Crate Palomino amps any good? Anyone ever try one?

Also...
    Is there a big difference between solid state and tube amps as far as cleans go?

If you had to choose, would you prefer a 30 watt or 50 watt tube combo?

Re: Are those Crate tube Palomino amps any good?

Originally posted by wickenspoet View Post
    Also...
    Is there a big difference between solid state and tube amps as far as cleans go?

If you had to choose, would you prefer a 30 watt or 50 watt tube combo?
    Tube amp cleans tend to be, as I would describe them, rounder and fatter. Believe it or not, even tube cleans contain some overdrive, but in such small doses that they affect tone more than drive. SS cleans tend to be very crystal, which is good in its place.

If you're looking for a lot of room to stay clean, go for 50 watts over 30 watts. That said, 30 watts is plenty for my needs, even when playing clean.

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

you really have to understand headroom with tube cleans...really spend some time with those crates they are pretty amazing IMO...but going SS->them is a big leap...
      #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
      #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
      #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
      #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
      #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
      Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
      Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
      Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, someone suggested that my Roland doesn't like distortion pedals because of the preamp, but I have no idea. I've got this sound in my head of what I want to hear, but I haven't found it yet. Things either sound harsh or muddy. I guess I hope a tube amp will fix this. I've never liked the idea of having to spend $100 extra bucks on tube replacements, though. Guess I should just bite the bullet and test some out. But it is intimidating with all the options and things such as biasing or whatever.

I read that a lot of people change the tubes in the Palomino. They go and order JJ's from Eurotubes... but I don't know what kind, specifically, because I've only messed with solid state at this point.
        Last edited by wickenspoet; 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, they are incredible. When you factor in that they are ~$300, they are phenomenal. Best amp in that range, as far as I'm concerned. And I don't even own one, so that's not owner bias.

Comment

Originally posted by wickenspoet View Post
            Thanks for the input.

Yeah, someone suggested that my Roland doesn't like distortion pedals because of the preamp, but I have no idea. I've got this sound in my head of what I want to hear, but I haven't found it yet. Things either sound harsh or muddy. I guess I hope a tube amp will fix this. I've never liked the idea of having to spend $100 extra bucks on tube replacements, though. Guess I should just bite the bullet and test some out. But it is intimidating with all the options and things such as biasing or whatever.

I read that a lot of people change the tubes in the Palomino. They go and order JJ's from Eurotubes... but I don't know what kind, specifically, because I've only messed with solid state at this point.
            Don't let things like changing out tubes and biasing your amp sway you from purchasing a tube amp. Go for tone first. You can always get an amp tech to deal with tube swaps and re-biasing, if the idea of DIY bothers you.

- Keith
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Nice bedroon amps for the price
              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

They're not just good, they're great! Where else can you get Matchless type cleans and Vox/Marshall hybrid ovedrive tones for $400 or less? Slap a decent speaker like a G12H30 and some JJ tubes and you're good to go. All it needs is 4 EL-84s and 3 12AX7s IIRC (been a little while).

The only thing I dislike about the Palomino was the pain it was to access the tubes, but hopefully that'll be something that'll get taken care of in the newer Mk II versions.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

As far as your whole ss-tube dilemma:

I went through this in much the same way about 10 years ago. In fact, I was playing a JC120 as well. While I appreciated the clean, not even an original Chandler Tube Driver could give that thing any love. Also, as I look back, I remember that the ss feel was different in terms of touch. It's hard to describe until you get some time with a decent tube amp.

At first I bought a Peavey Classic 30. It was a great change. The tube cleans were different, but the touch of them were somehow more exciting. I wasn't into overdrive at that point in my development. I had been into it and then gone away from that sound.

So, I saved some money and got a Gibson Goldtone GA15 RVT. This thing was a whole level up in terms of depth and touch and 3 dimensionality. It needed no effects, nothing...

I lucked into a Mesa F30 about three years ago, as well. This amp has taught me how to use overdrive again. The cleans are not as deep as the Gibson. They're nice, mind you, just not as nice. The overdrive is just amazingly liquid and rich, though. I never knew it, but this is exactly what i was looking for...

The point is: go out there and try some tube amps. The adventure has been absolutely worth it. I can't begin to explain the depths this adventure has made on my playing. The only other thing that has affected me as much in the last 25 years of playing was getting home recording software and learning how to layer tracks.

Not to go too off topic, but these were the two biggest effects on my playing, especially in the development of what I can consider my own style.

Don't get your first tube amp as a be all end all...

Get something really small (like 15 watts). It's still loud as hell and will teach you so much about your playing. You'll feel better about expanding your collection after some time with one and you'll know better what you want and what will get you there.

Have a great journey (and keep the JC for kicks if you can); you'll be able to hear your evolution every time you turn it on.

Z

Comment

I got the Crate V30 3112T(for Tone Tubby speaker), and it's AWSOME and LOUD at a relativly cheap price..deffinatly worth looking into!!!!

~Mitch~
                    Buy My Neck!!!

Stage3-1

Comment

Mine is amazing, though needs a new set of tubes soon (not the manufacturers fault though, I blame my family, since my amp is hooked up to an outlet that works from a switch, and they hit it all the time.... ). Fantastic, lively cleans that jump out at you from the speaker, and a nice warm distortion that can go from smooth sounding to crunchy. Very vintage sounding, reminiscent of the great tones from the late 60s and 70s. Boosted it can easily get into 80s territory. Great amps for the money.
                      The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                      And Here on Bandcamp!
                      Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Working...
                      X