Pedal to rack conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal to rack conversion?

These days, I'm making a rack system build around the ADA MP-1 preamp. I will also be buying a wireless system this summer. The plan was to remove all pedals completely to minimize the amount of cable required, and then get a powerfull rackbased multi-effect processor. However, I've realized that I am more attracted to the more mix-and-match mentality attached to pedals. Besides, I doubt that I, for example, ever will need more than one phaser setting in a song. The only effect I can think of where that may become the case is delay/reverb (I'll make a separate thread for that soon).

However, I would still like to remove the pedalboard from the equation, as that would remove a whole lot of cable, which both saves tone and gives a guitarist recently freed from having to plug a cable into his guitar less to stumble in.
    So, basically speaking, I was wondering if any of you have ever tried to convert a pedal to a rack setup? Basically, what I was planning to do was to take something like a Boss pedal, gut it all out of the box and put it into a rack (I would guess that it would be possible to get three pedals or something into a 1U rack box). I would probably have to extend some cables, so that the knobs can be fitted on the front, inputs and outputs on the back (and probably the power input, I haven't figured out quite how to handle that yet). The biggest problem would be the switching. Could it be possible to somehow move the switch for each separate cable to a box in front of you, the way it's done with multi-channel amplifiers?

It's may be a strange concept, but I think that for me, it'll be a great solution. It'll cut down on the amount of cable needed, less moveable parts = less chance for anything breaking etc. etc. Have anyone ever tried anything like this before?

Re: Pedal to rack conversion?

Don't take the pedals out of their cases - they are the best physical mounting for their boards you're ever going to get. It makes no sense to throw away a perfectly good enclosure that's got all the right holes in all the right places, only to mess with the layout, and drill yourself a new chassis with all the same holes. In some cases, you might find that by moving things around, you've messed up the layout & lead dress and caused noise or oscillations.

You're much better off housing your pedals in a rack drawer and using a remote MIDI switching system to control them.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
      You're much better off housing you pedals in a rack drawer and using a remote MIDI switching system to control them.
      Correct answer!
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Similar thought process applied to pedalboard rather than a rack:

Back in the late 70's I was just getting into using pedals, prompted first by Pat Travers and then Andy Summers - both users of Pete Cornish pedalboards. I wanted to build something similar. You could see in photos how Cornish would pull boards out of pedals, drill new metal plates for the controls, and mount them in the pedalboard. Not being a lead-dress artist like Mr. Cornish, I decided that it would be better to keep the pedal enclosures, and somehow wire the pedals togther inside the board. That's what I did...

and still do.

I'm really a pedalboard kinda guy, but I'd advise that if you get much beyond the 6 pedals I have, you're better off with a rack and preset switching system. More pedals than this are just too difficult to control one-at-a-time. There's a good shot of Andy Summers' rack in the latest Guitar Player, showing how it integrates rack effects with stompboxes in a drawer.
        Last edited by Rich_S; 05-18-2007, 02:41 PM.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          Correct answer!
          +2!

Something like a Voodoo Lab GCX would be nice. If you aren't dead set on removing the pedalboard all together, you can buy/make a true bypass looper pedal that will do the same as the above physically, just require a little more tap dancing on your part.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Criss Oliva of Savatage and George Lynch both thad great tones in the 80s and they both used pedals and racks in one set up, few pedals infront are not gonna "suck the life" out your tone and are not gonna require miles of cable. Also check out the Pete Cornish's website, if there is an authority on this its him.
            Active Duty Rig:
            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
            X