Custom Amp Builders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Amp Builders?

Can anyone recommend any amp builders? I'm looking at getting the preamp section of a certain favorite amp of mine built into a 1space rackmount preamp.
    www.JeffDunne.com

Re: Custom Amp Builders?

SCOTT_F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's the next Jim Marshall!! he's the Cat's Pyjamas!!! He's the tube's bias!!

ahahahaha. Actually, he's an amp builder, so he might be who you want to talk to.
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

sounds like an expensive project. if there's not one in your area, the shipping back and forth alone would be pricey.

field services in phx had quoted me like $200-$300 just to convert an old pa into a nice guitar amp. m-tronics in mesa, az did it for like $30-$100, but I think they've since closed.

are you sure there's not already a similar preamp that could be modded? peavey's got their rockmaster that's similar to their high gain amps. boogie's got their preamps. are they that much different than yours? shoot, with the cost you'd pay, you could probably get a triaxis or something.

why not just keep the amp in it's housing, and use the preamp section with whatever power amp you're eyeballing until you get bored with it? with the way we all change our minds about gear, you could get that done, and then wonder why you went through the trouble later on. then you've got some weird jacked up preamp no one wants to buy, and a head with only a power section.
      Last edited by DankStar; 05-21-2007, 08:21 AM.

Comment

There'd be no shipping back and forth - I just want the preamp section to be cloned, quite literally.

Nobody makes a 5150 preamp, or anything close enough for me .

"Why not just keep the amp in it's housing...?" Weight and size.

I see what you're thinking, though. I'm not having the preamp removed from the amp, and put into a rack space - I want it built from the ground up. The 5150's preamp is littered over so many different circuit boards inside the amp, which are the same circuit boards for the poweramp, that it wouldn't be worth the effort. It'd probably take twice as long to do that than build it from the ground up, and then I'd REALLY be left with a weird, jacked up head.
        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

interesting. it's weird they never made a preamp version.

I guess I thought that the rockmaster was the springboard for the 5150, but probably just the springboard for their rockmaster head.

Comment

Lastwinj who posts on the forum from time to time.

He supposedly is all about high gain amp building.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Going rack mount won't necessarily make things much lighter. For a "crushing" sound you're still going to have to contend with at least a 2-space power-amp and also run the risk of catching rackitis. You also might loose the original sound if the pre-amp is not directly hard-wired to the power amp.

But then again, you only live once and you'll never know till you actually try it.

EDIT: I forgot that one advantage of going rack mount is that you could get a case with wheels and a extendible handle. Push it along the ground like luggage rather than having to lift a heavy head up with a single handle.
              Last edited by Animal; 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Try Nik over at www.ceriatone.com and see what he can do. He can build anything if you give him a schematic I think.
                Originally posted by Marinblues
                Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Comment

Trace with Voodoo might be able to hook you up or point ya' in the right direction.

OR possibly check with Peavey....

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                  Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                  FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                  http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Hey! Google "Fab Amp". I was in contact with the guy who makes them, he'll do anything - x preamp with y power amp with z inputs and outputs and n controls. Seriously great prices too.

Comment

Thanks much, guys! I've sent e-mails off to a few of the recommended builders.
                      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Sounds like a job suited for Jeff Seal. I understand he's a busy guy lately?
                        But if the $$$ is right? He might find time for a project like that.
                        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

You might try posting over on the Hoffman Amps forum. There are plenty of professional amp builders there.

Chip
                          Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                          Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                          Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                          SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                          SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                          "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

FabTone responded the quickest and with the best features/price... two channel preamp with my overdrive hardwired into the amp for the same price as the amp itself used.

I found a suuuuper cheap 5150 on Craigslist today, though - if I end up snagging that, the preamp plan will be on hold.
                            www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Sounds cool though. I may contact some of those myself, as I want a rack based power amp for my ADA where the power tubes distort, ala old tube amps.

Comment

Working...
                              X