Fender experts:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender experts:

Is it worth it to "blackface" a SF Fender? Does it capture the sound? Is the "blackfacing" very expensive? How much can I expect to pay for an average SF Bandmaster reverb?

Thanks
    -Marc
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Re: Fender experts:

BF'ing a SF Fender is well worth it IMO...most people don't take it all the way because MOST SF Fenders could also use a new cab as a lot of SF Fenders cabs are junk, however if you get a SF head and then a good cab you won't have to worry about the cab being junk...unless you get the SF era cab that matched the head...

The cost to BF a SF runs a range depending on several things but figure a couple hundred bucks

The average going rate for a SF Bandmaster Reverb runs between the high $300 to the low $500 range
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Well I'm no expert but I do know that you don't have to pay $200 to change a few caps and resistors, which is all that's involved in "blackfacing". I've seen price quotes from $40 to $75 that seem reasonable. And the only problem with SF amps after about 70-71 is that the baffles are not removable, which should only matter if you want to install different size speakers. The best source for this info I've found is the FDP forum. Go ask there and you'll likely find out all you need to know, even to do it yourself if you want. I did.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbob View Post
        Well I'm no expert but I do know that you don't have to pay $200 to change a few caps and resistors, which is all that's involved in "blackfacing". I've seen price quotes from $40 to $75 that seem reasonable. And the only problem with SF amps after about 70-71 is that the baffles are not removable, which should only matter if you want to install different size speakers. The best source for this info I've found is the FDP forum. Go ask there and you'll likely find out all you need to know, even to do it yourself if you want. I did.
        Depends on what year amp,as you also have to change the bias supply,plus some of the silver faced series had horrible oscillation caps across the output tubes and even different transformers! You need to know what you have and know what to change...It's not just a few caps and resistors..

These are changes best left to an "expert" so you don't hurt or kill yourself.
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hmmmm that's not quite as expensive as I thought it would be.

Comment

What amp are you considering blackfacing, Marc?

- Keith
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I was considering a SF Bandmaster Reverb., the 40 watt one. (I think it's 40 watts - 2 6l6s)

Comment

Working...
              X