slaving amp heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaving amp heads

hey guys here is a ? for you. I have two amp heads and i want to use one for a slave. I run the second head from the line out of the first(other side of stage). My ? is ,is this safe it seems like i can barely turn the second head up past 1/2 on the volume. its almost like the first head is driving the second! Am i doing somthing wrong! I dont want to damage the second head. Thanx

Re: slaving amp heads

you are running the line out of one head into the line in of the 2nd or the input of the 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      you are running the line out of one head into the line in of the 2nd or the input of the 2nd
      The guitar imput on the front. there is no line input on the amp. B52 tube head line out into front guitar imput on kustom quad 200 ss head.

Comment

Normally slaving involves sending the signal from the preamplifier of amp A into the POWERAMPLIFIER of amp B.

The way you have it, you are sending the signal from the preamplifier of A into the PREAMPLIFIER of B.

Preamplifiers are designed to take an UNamplified signal, not a PREamplified signal. Will it damage the Kustom? Maybe, depends on how tough it is.

I wouldn't do it this way.

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

Comment

Originally posted by 3th3r View Post
          Normally slaving involves sending the signal from the preamplifier of amp A into the POWERAMPLIFIER of amp B.
          Totally right!

Pre out (send) -> Pre In (return).

If you don't have a effects return or line in, split the signal before the amp. Something like a splitter or a stereo chorus or something of the like...
          *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
          Originally posted by Slash2987
          Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
          Originally posted by PVFan
          I'm a good sex man.
          Originally posted by Grumpy
          I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

this might sound cheazy and lame, but you could run the line out of the first amp into a volume pedal or something and then send that to the second...
            sigpic

Comment

There's 2 ways of doing it.

Slaving. Preamp out of amp A into the FX return of amp B. If it doesn't have an FX loop, you're sort of out of luck.

Daisy Chaining. It always works on 4 input amps like plexis and bassmans, but might work on 2 input amps. However, you're still utilizing both amp's pre's.
              You plug your guitar into amp A's input, and run a cable from amp A's 2nd input over to amp B's 1st input.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Daisy Chaining. It always works on 4 input amps like plexis and bassmans, but might work on 2 input amps. However, you're still utilizing both amp's pre's.
                You plug your guitar into amp A's input, and run a cable from amp A's 2nd input over to amp B's 1st input.
                I'm pretty sure (at least on my amps) if a plug in either of the inputs, the other one is shorted.

Is the Kustom a bass amp? Does it have an input pad for active instruments? (an active/passive switch or input)
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                I'm a good sex man.

Comment

There's 2 ways of doing it.
                  Daisy Chaining.
                  Dude, you lost me, how can a second INPUT of an AMP A send anything OUT to
                  a first input of B ????

Now, as far as slaving, Laney TI100 - Iommi's amp has one of the best slave/loop designs out there.
                  Active Duty Rig:
                  MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                  Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I might be wrong about 2 input amps. Goldenboy is probably right about the 2nd one being defeated when the first one is used. I think you can only daisy chain using 4 input amps. Basically, it's just splitting the signal using input jacks instead of a pedal.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                      Dude, you lost me, how can a second INPUT of an AMP A send anything OUT to
                      a first input of B ????
                      Especially on older amps, the inputs of the amps are in paralell. Therefore a plug into input 1 of amp A, goes into the preamp of amp A. If a plug is put into input 2 of amp A- the signal is taken from the same path to where ever the plug goes (amp B or channel 2 of amp A... etc...)

If you look at older Marshalls, you'll often see a jumper going between inputs 2 and 3 on the amp with the guitar lead going in one. That's because older Marshalls have a channel I and II that are voiced differently. In effect, you're taking the guitar signal from channel one out of the input 2 and into input 3 (input 1 of channel II)

Dig?

I'm a good sex man.

Comment

I think you can only daisy chain using 4 input amps. Basically, it's just splitting the signal using input jacks instead of a pedal.
                        I don't think it's a 4 hole issue, I think it's actually a MV issue- as it's not just the voicing of the "channels" it's the sensitivity of the input. I think.
                        I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Working...
                        X