higain marshall sound from a pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• higain marshall sound from a pedal?

the keeley fuzz head isnt working out too good for me. it is a good pedal. but i just have to face it i am more of a higain person. i dont really care for my amps distortion. its a peavy valve king 1x12 combo. it does sound alot better since i put the man-o-war speaker in it. but i want more of a higain marshall, bogner or rivera sound. is there any pedals you guys would suggest? i have thought about the twin tube classic but am not sure if it will get the sound i am after. i have also check out the tonebone pedals. but i am not sure about those either.

Re: higain marshall sound from a pedal?

MI audio Crunchbox is fantastic but won't do heavy metal that well (for me at least), the bass isn't tailored for that. It's a great high gain Marshall tone for sure though.

Comment

How about an MXR doubleshot? That's a big fat sound, 2 distortions in one pedal. I have one to sell/ trade as my problem is the Opposite of yours... it's too beastly for classic rock. If you're interested pm me... all the best.

Comment

Ok...here we go with more SPAM!

I have a Spina modded DS-1 that Im selling right now...gret pedal but Im just not a high gain type of guy. The Spina DS-1 really has a hot rodded JCM 800 vibe to it and it a completely different pedal than a stock DS-1...

Ok, spam over!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          Ok...here we go with more SPAM!

I have a Spina modded DS-1 that Im selling right now...gret pedal but Im just not a high gain type of guy. The Spina DS-1 really has a hot rodded JCM 800 vibe to it and it a completely different pedal than a stock DS-1...

Ok, spam over!
          Was going to recommend a modded DS1 and you beat me right to it buddy! LOL...Just finished another DS1 about 20 minutes ago..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

define "high gain" for me before i give you an answer. what do you consider high gain? everyone seems to have a different idea of what this is so to just throw out random pedal ideas without having a tone idea won't help you much i don't think.

do you want to use it on a clean channel as your only source of gain or on a channel with a bit of gain to it already to push it into a higher gain area?

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

The tonebone hot british does a very good high gain marshall thing.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Marshall Guv'nor pedal? Haven't tried it but I trust they'd be able to get their hi-gain tone into a stompbox. Modded DS-1 is also a great idea, I want to mod mine, just need to learn to solder with extreme prescision and quickness or find someone to do it for me at a reasonable price.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

thanks for the suggestions guys. from the sound clips the crunch box seems to be about what i am looking for.

Comment

Hi there, i have just bought a crunchbox and i have to say it is fantastic, it sounds as warm an articulate as a tube amp, i even stopped using the gain channel for a bit on my amp, i have never encountered a pedal this good for the sound i was looking for. It says it is supposed to sound like a hot rodded plexi marshall, or classic british hi gain, and i think it does this well.
                    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                    Blackstar HT-5
                    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I don't know, I've just listened to the sound clips, sounds like a very "blah" TS9 thingy ... If you are in to that get a Spina TS9, much more character and warmth, this thing is short on cream, John's TS9 is a cream-galore.
                      Active Duty Rig:
                      MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                      Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

High gain means loud....alot of distortion...means very saturated and with lots of compression.....high gain is not alot of distortion....man sometimes I get aggrevated over the misuse of terms

Comment

Indyguitarist Plexstortion is basically JCM 800 in a box or the crunch box.
                          High gain means loud....alot of distortion...means very saturated and with lots of compression.....high gain is not alot of distortion....man sometimes I get aggrevated over the misuse of terms
                          Yeh that is true technically high gain is something lots of wattage like HI WATT amps are high gain but not distortion city but in guitar terms high gain usually means JCM 800 or higher in distortion levels as far as i understand.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

I separeted those two you know
                            Lots of distortion is not the same as loud, high gain means it has a huge powersupply, and some high tolerance components that are very very effecient.
                            JCM800 are not all that very distorted.

Comment

Ok, what I should have said is that the MXR doubleshot has a thick and heavy sound, or rather 2 heavy sounds and can be full on or scooped. The 2 sounds I hear are heavy JCM 900 and Metallica... with a bit of tweaking of course! Both sounds are too heavy and full for what our band does hence mine will be for sale or trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X