Combo amp for residence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo amp for residence

I just got to thinking, next year I'm moving into residence for university, and I sure as hell won't be able to take my head and cab with me, so I want to find a good combo with a wide range of sounds from nice clean to heavy, crunchy distortion, preferrably with effects built in. I have a Peavey Blazer 158 that was my first amp, and a Boss Metal Zone, but sometimes the MT-2 just won't cut it and the Blazer's overdrive channel doesn't have enough gain on tap.

My first thought was to see if I could find a Line6 Spider II combo. I've played one before and I really liked what I heard. It's got such a wide range of settings and decent effects too. I'd like to keep it the price under $180 if possible, and I'm thinking solid state only. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Metalman_666; 05-28-2007, 10:43 AM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Combo amp for residence

Roland Cube?

Line6 TonePort + Headphones?
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

The Yamaha MagicStomp that I have listed in the Trading Post?

Sorry for the spam, I couldn't resist. It's got some good models and great effects, and it's put together better than a lot of the competition. Its headphone jack makes it a great practice amp.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Dude, snag a PODxt or XTL or XTPro or something, and run it through a nice set of headphones. It'll run you more than a new amp, but it'll also be quieter, better sounding, and you can use it as a recording interface with your MacBook, which will make laying down ideas waaaay easy!
        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

I think I've decided between either the Roland Cube 20X or a PODxt. Any other opinions?
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

The Crate RFX combos are incredible!

I suggest the RFX30 or the RFX15

Comment

Definitely get the PODxt. You'll never be able to use a guitar amp in a typical dorm situation. I've been there, and it doesn't work.

Comment

I used a small solid state amp all through university and didn't get any complaints. Just don't crank it up when people are trying to sleep/study and you're usually OK. I'd recommend the amp over a pod for a couple of reasons:

1. I hate wearing headphones . . . I always trip over them, get them tangled up when I'm playing guitar.
                2. There are tons of people to jam with at university . . . it's really handy to have a little amp you can cart around everywhere!
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do amps like the Roland Cube 20x and the Line6 Spider II also have recording outs? I thought they did but I could be wrong?
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

When I went away to college in 1977, I took my Fender Twin with me.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Half the tone you're used to hearing is coming out of your excellent Buzzbomb 2-12, so listen to me..... LOL

Buy the cheapest modeling head you can find from Vox or Line 6, and put it on your good sounding 2-12. Even in an apt/dorm, you'll have great tone at super-low volume levels. A modeling head/quality 2-12 will sound WAY better than any little combo you settle for.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                        Half the tone you're used to hearing is coming out of your excellent Buzzbomb 2-12, so listen to me..... LOL

Buy the cheapest modeling head you can find from Vox or Line 6, and put it on your good sounding 2-12. Even in an apt/dorm, you'll have great tone at super-low volume levels. A modeling head/quality 2-12 will sound WAY better than any little combo you settle for.
                        GJ, that's a good suggestion, but if space was no object I would just take my XXX and Buzzbomb. Not only would I have a good $2500 worth of gear in my room, it would be taking up a lot of space and be a big pain to move. Even though the residence I'm going to is a place where I won't have to worry about anything being stolen, I'm not entirely sure I want to take all of my expensive gear with me, hence my search for a small modeling combo.

I like GuitarStv's suggestion about getting a combo with enough power to still be able to jam with some guys on campus. Instead of the Roland Cube 20x, what about the Cube 60? I tried one in a guitar store and I think it sounded really good. And I think it has a line and recording out too.
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Working...
                        X