Mesa express 5:50 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa express 5:50 combo

I got to play thru a mesa express 5:50 combo today and I gotta say I was real close to taking it home. Had the amp not been more than I want to spend (I can always pickup extra shifts I guess) it would be here by my side.
    Anyways, I loved the way the amp sounded and the fact that it can be used in 5 watt mode. Make no mistake, even at 5 watts this bastard is still pretty damn loud. It had really good cleans, comprable to fender, imo and could do pretty decent blues tones as well. The thing that really impressed me tho was the hi gain settings. On ch1 crunch setting, I got some badass rythm tones happening and with a little more gain it was definitely lead worthy. Ch2 on the blaze setting (I think thats what its called) it was super hi gain with the gain past noon. Both hi gain settings were really thick and crunchy and could be changed w/the contour knob. I had the masters on about 4 for my half hr session with the amp and can't see how anyone would want more power in a home or practice environment, it was louder than I expected.

Despite the big hit on my wallet, this amp may be going home w/me in the next cpl of days. Does anyone here have any experiences w/ this amp? Do you guys think I should pony up the dough and just buy it, or look for something more reasonable (I'd probly have to order it which I really don't want to do)?
    Originally posted by Skarekrough
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Re: Mesa express 5:50 combo

I played both Expresses a couple of weeks ago. Both were very cool. I was very impressed with all the voicings of the 5/50. As is usually the case with any wattage lowering technology, I wasn't that blown away by the 5 watt setting, though it did have a cool feel and it's own tonal flavour.

If I was in the market for a flexible channel switching amp, I'd give very serious thought to the express and roadster. And the best thing about Mesa is that they are built very, very well.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Does it have a solo boost?

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
        Does it have a solo boost?

Luke
        It doesn't have a solo boost that I know of, but if you're playing on ch1 crunch setting and switch to ch2 blaze setting, it would give you a a nice rythm to lead combination.

I'm really tempted to just go back to the store and buy that damn thing right now, but I need to try out an orange to see if they're all the rage like some insist. I somehow doubt I'll like the orange as much cuz I know it's nowhere near as versatile, but we'll see in a cpl hrs.
        If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Comment

I auditioned the 5:50 a few weeks ago, along with a Roadster head (drool) and the Recto-verb combo.

The Roadster head was to die for. I liked everything about it except the price.

The 5:50 and the recto-verb were more in my price range, so I spent more time with these 2 amps. I really wanted to like the RV, but found its sound to be too much sizzle. Even with the treble turned down it had too much high end spike. I played with the gain and vol knobs, but just couldn't dial in any sound I liked. I spent over an hour trying to control the squeal, feedback and the high gain sizzle spike, but wasn't able to find any sweet spot. Thats too bad tho, cuz I really wanted to like this amp. I wanted recto sound and it was within my price range.

anyways, I tried the 5:50 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it more than the RV. I started out with a clean tone and it was great. it shimmered. On the gain settings I had no problem dialing in a great modern hi gain tone.

My vote goes to simpler, less expensive 5:50. A great one trick pony amp.
          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
            I auditioned the 5:50 a few weeks ago, along with a Roadster head (drool) and the Recto-verb combo.

The Roadster head was to die for. I liked everything about it except the price.

The 5:50 and the recto-verb were more in my price range, so I spent more time with these 2 amps. I really wanted to like the RV, but found its sound to be too much sizzle. Even with the treble turned down it had too much high end spike. I played with the gain and vol knobs, but just couldn't dial in any sound I liked. I spent over an hour trying to control the squeal, feedback and the high gain sizzle spike, but wasn't able to find any sweet spot. Thats too bad tho, cuz I really wanted to like this amp. I wanted recto sound and it was within my price range.

anyways, I tried the 5:50 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it more than the RV. I started out with a clean tone and it was great. it shimmered. On the gain settings I had no problem dialing in a great modern hi gain tone.

My vote goes to simpler, less expensive 5:50. A great one trick pony amp.
            Do you really think the express is one trick pony? I thought it was fairly versatile. I got a lot of different tones out of it. Granted I will be using the hi gain settings most often, but it's nice to know that I can do more than just play metal thru it

Comment

Originally posted by mediumpimpin View Post
              Do you really think the express is one trick pony? I thought it was fairly versatile. I got a lot of different tones out of it. Granted I will be using the hi gain settings most often, but it's nice to know that I can do more than just play metal thru it
              I think the trouble I run into with the Mesa's is that I'm kinda used to my Marshall. On my Marshall I can roll back the gain and get a nice blues/vintage rock sound. I know that Marshalls and Mesas shouldn't be compared, but I only found 1 sound on the Mesa and that was hi gain. There was great cleans, which I don't use often, and then there was hi gain. Not much in between.

The Roadster head I tried allowed me to dial in all kinds of sounds, maybe thats what I wanted in the 5:50...

Don't get me wrong, I liked the hi gain, I just wish there was wider flexibility in which it could be controlled.
              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I found the 5:50 to have a reasonable variety of tones. The Roadster had more switchable versatility, but the actual sounds of the 5:50 were very good.
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Are these similar to the F series except with variable power?
                  Gibson Faded V- Blackouts set
                  Godin Solidac- PATB-2/Distortion n, Hot Stack in the middle
                  Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass
                  Warwick Rockbass Fortress 5

Mesa Roadster head
                  Warwick BC 80

Comment

Working...
                  X