John Wetton bass tone (King Crimson)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Wetton bass tone (King Crimson)

So I've been listening to KC's "Red" album for a couple days and am (among other things) really digging the bass tone on Starless and One More Red Nightmare. Is it just a cranked SVT or what?
    Thanks!

Re: John Wetton bass tone (King Crimson)

Originally posted by dd12939 View Post
    So I've been listening to KC's "Red" album for a couple days and am (among other things) really digging the bass tone on Starless and One More Red Nightmare. Is it just a cranked SVT or what?
    Thanks!
    I saw them live waaaaaay back then. (My God, has it been that long?)

Don't know what he used in the studio, but back when I saw them (two times) he was using a Fender Precison bass thru a Hiwatt stack. He also had a VERY aggresive style in that he beat the hell out of the strings.

Comment

As far as I know he used HiWatts most if not all the time...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Is there any fuzz or anything or is it all amp-overdrive??

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939 View Post
          Is there any fuzz or anything or is it all amp-overdrive??

Hmmmm. Now you're asking me to remember details!

Of what I recall from the second time I saw them Wetton did use some kind of a distortion device (don't know what) but he did'nt use it much. Used it for a tad here and there. Not much at all.

Comment

i can't imagine he didn't use some kind of fuzz...his sound is probably the most massive bass sound ever. when the bass enters in 'fracture' (from starless and bible black), it is absolutely huge.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tonebender!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

yeah---it sounds like fuzz on other cuts from Larks Tongue, Starless, etc.
                That's the only version of that band that I can listen to...

Comment

Working...
                X