Ultimate amp for both FAT & STRAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate amp for both FAT & STRAT?

I'm sure this has been asked a bajillion times before but maybe this is a slightly different twist. I want a nice, thick fat sound for my humbucker but I don't want to sacrifice any Strat spank when using the single coils. Something tube, around 50 watts, probably a head with 2x12 cab. My main guitar is an HSS Strat with noiseless single coils so I know I'll never get true, noisy Strat spank but with my solid state Fender amp and pedals I can nail the tone I want, I just can't crank it and it won't cut through the mix.

I'm currently using a Genz Benz el Diablo 60 combo. This amp totally nails the fat. It's always warm, thick and ballsy with a great rhythm tone that cuts. But when it comes to Strat spank or lead tones I can't seem to dial in what I'm looking for. Even with the treble maxed it never gets squealy or approaches spank. The tonal range I'm looking for is from Bridge of Sighs to And Justice for All so something relatively high gain. True Fender clean is not a priority. I don't want to use any gain pedals, just guitar and amp with maybe a Microvibe inbetween.

What amp is this? Any other HSS users out there find this magical combination in an amp? Thanks for all suggestions.

Re: Ultimate amp for both FAT & STRAT?

Interesting, I actually find that when I EQ the amp for my HB equipped axes to sound good, the Strat and Tele are overly bright and spanky. That's with both the Mesa and Splawn.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The first amp that comes to mind for me is the Vox AC30 Top Boost. Great amp for both types of guitars.

On a budget though, you can't beat the Vox Valvetronix amps. If you can find the Blue grill series, snag one. If not, look at the AD50VT combo or AD100VT head. I use primarily the Vox AC30TB model (sounds just like the real thing) and the Marshall JCM800 2203 model with my AD50.

Comment

Well I am surprised El Dialblo aint cutting it for you, my bro played a gig with it and I loved I told him he should buy it. But if you want your "spank" I would suggest look for an amp with a bright switch or an amp which has Push/pull boost on EQ, like Laney AOR :-). maybe you can mod your El Diablo for push/pull boost on Bass, Mids, Treble. Laney got the idea for it from all the mods happening in LA in the 80s so they are out there.
        Active Duty Rig:
        MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
        Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I'm not giving up on the El Diablo just yet, doc. Although I find it interesting you're willing to sell yours to your bro. ;-) It has a great sound but so far I can't seem to dial out that huge, fat, warmth. It's hard to describe because it's not at all muddy, but there certainly seems to be an elusive midrange of some sort. And I've never tried it with the stock tubes either. I'm running 6L6 tubes, I may find more spank with the EL-34's. Just wondering what some of the other experiences are.

Comment

No, I dont have an El Diablo my bro giged a club that had one so he pluged into it, and told him that for some of his tunes that thing sounded better than his Fender Deluxe. I doubt that EL34 would add spank, they are darke tubes .... Look into the push/pull mods for the EQ, I know you want just chord between your guitar and an amp, but germanium chip treble booster could really help too ...
            Active Duty Rig:
            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
            X