banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Valvetronix fans... DA15 or AD15? How do they take pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Valvetronix fans... DA15 or AD15? How do they take pedals?

I tried a DA15 today and I was very impressed. These are the models without the valve in. It sounded pretty good. I didn't get to try the AD15 though. Is it that much better?

Also, how do they take pedals? A lot of my sound is on my pedalboard and since these amps are only two channels (possibly three with the footswitch no?)

Thanks!

Re: For the Valvetronix fans... DA15 or AD15? How do they take pedals?

I've been using both my OCD and Barber LTD with my AD15 and it clearly takes to pedals very well. I really like using the JCM 800(UK 80's) with it's gain around 10 o'clock and goose it with the pedals.
    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I havent tried putting effects in front of my ad15vt. I've never had the need. My purpose for the ad15vt was for portability, without having to take any effects or pedals with me. I did buy the 2 button footswitch for it tho. This will allow you to toggle between 2 programs and an effects on/off. Its very useful, I've programmed to 2 sounds, a crunch rthym and a lead sound. I can toggle between those and add and effect at any time.
      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

DA5/15 do not take pedals well (gain pedals anyway, havent tried modulations)

AD15?

Depends on the pedal really.

DS-1 sounded like crap through the AD15 IME (I like this pedal through a regular marshall tube amp however).

Bad Monkey sounds pretty good, so I'd assume a TS or SOD would as well.

here's a clip I did with my AD15 and goosed with the Bad Monkey later on.

link
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

And to answer your other question...the AD15 is warmer, but less tight and responsive to your picking...not that its bad or sloppy, just the tube causes a bit of "sag" compared to the all digital version.

Some of the models IMO, sound better WITHOUT the tube than with...Soldano,TSL, Bassman, and Plexi in particular. Plenty of DA5 and AD15clips on my page.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

So Jeff... with a limited budget but a big pedalboard, the AD15 is probably a better choice than the DA15 then...? I don't use any of the onboard effects and no modulation at all on my pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
              I tried a DA15 today and I was very impressed. These are the models without the valve in. It sounded pretty good. I didn't get to try the AD15 though. Is it that much better?
              Thanks!
              The DA line does not have tubes in them, unless the specs have changed. The AD line does have a 12ax7 tube in them, and sounds much better than the DA series. The only reason I would consider the DA line is if I needed the smallest battery powered version. I think the AD15VT even sounds better than the larger AD30VT. It has a better speaker/cabinet combination.

Comment

That's right. No valves in the DA. It still sounded good. Valve or no valves I quite liked. But I'd love to use it as:

Good clean sound to use with pedals or on its own
                Heavy metal tone

+ pedalboard

Basically which amp would be most adapted for me, out of the AD or DA 15/30s?

Comment

I had the DA15 for a bit, I thought it was really good for a digital amp.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

It is. I had a very natural feel I gotta say. Maybe it was just the first impression, but when a POD 2.0 was just ... not enough for me, for about a year, that just really must have been that good.

Comment

I hate to say it, but the only amps that really take most pedals well in my experience are true tube amps. Granted some modulation and delay pedals can work fine with some SS amps, but things like overdrives just don't.

Theres just a world of difference using an OD to push a tube amps pre section harder and using it on a solid state modeling amp. Sort of the difference between analog distortion and digital clipping if you will.

So the answer is yes and no. Depends on what pedals your using.
                      -Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom- C5/59 Hybrid Bridge/Fernades Vh-1 PAF neck
                      -Epi Goldtop - Custom Shop Mike Ness p90's
                      -Epi Masterbilt AJ500R rosewood
                      -Fender Classic Player 60's strat CS 69'

-Gretsch Black Phoenix - TV Jones Classics
                      -Danelectro Dano Pro Baritone

Comment

I'd use them all on clean sounds and not to push the pre/power amp harders. Just as another preamp on another preamp basically...?

Comment

Working...
                        X