ALTEC 417 speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALTEC 417 speaker

Okay here is a speaker I don't see much mention of on here. THis was Santana's fav (the altec 417-8c) for many years. About ten years ago I tried to track one down, I got a reconed 417-8c from a local guitar repair guy but the re-coning was not done right and the voice coil rubbed so he swapped it for an alnico 417-8h. Now this guy is very opinionated and he thought the 417 was a crappy speaker and could not understand why I wanted one. I tried it briefly in one of my earlier boogies (either a MKI or MKIII) and didn't give it much of a try. Can't remember my exact thoughts on it but they were probably tainted by the techs opinion. It has sat in my closet for probably close to 10 years unused. Well I was looking at some of my gear that I don't use the other day and thinking of what I should sell. I played my boogie MKII c+ (which has not been played in a while) and was really not impressed with the way it was sounding. Now I have changed the speaker in it quite a bit the last few years:the boogie black shadow (celestion), EVM 12, and recently a Weber ceramic blue. So I go into the closet and dig out the 417. THis thing is rated at 100 watts and has a 12.5 lb alnico V magnet structure. Big ugly white thing with a black painted magnet. I put it in turned it on and didn't really like it, nice highs but low end balance wasn't right. Well what to do? Maybe turn the tone knobs on the amp? What a brilliant idea. After a little tweaking this thing was singing. THe MKII has never sounded better. THe cleans really have a sweet chime to them and the overdrive channel has some nice natural compression, not harsh at all. At my age you think I would know enough the tweak the tone controls before pulling the speaker out again.
    So now I am excited and thought I would do a little research, turns out these were offered as an option on the early boogies (1976, an extra $89). They were also the speaker of choice on early Dumbles. Seems they got outpriced by the EV's. Wholesale prices in the late 70's were about $100 for the atlec and only $75 for the EV so amp manufacturers started swithching to the EV. ALtec was then sold and is no longer.
    Rumour has it there is a company about to, or very recently re-issueing them. They were going to do the 417-8c in both an alnico and ceramic version. This speaker is rated at 75 watts. Almost afraid to know what the alnico version would be selling for. I e-mailed the company for more info.

Re: ALTEC 417 speaker

Back in the 70's Altec Lansing speaker were the thing you purchased if you could afford the BEST
    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

I read on a letter from Boogie in 1976 that the list price an the 417 was $179 and that it could replace the stock speaker for $85. I looked up the relative value in todays $ and it is over $600 list!! I guess I won't complain about the price of a celestion blue.

Comment

I had an Altec for years and finally sold it.

I did like it, it had a very interesting chime, and a LOT of compression when gained up - very Santana. It has a "hemp" speaker sorta roll off in the highs. I think that's what I sold it for... it didn't sit well with a few Marshally kinda amps I have owned in the last few years.
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I've always wanted the 417 8H's after reading that Rhoads used them!

They get pretty expensive on Ebay these days.
          This space is for rent.

Comment

i have an 8h right now, looking for 3 more to load up a 4x12......

germ
            Jeremy Ledford
            Tone Guru Extroardinaire
            Tone Shop

Comment

In the mid-late 70's I was using a pair of BFDR's and I had one 417-8H in each. I remember going down to 48st/NYC and buying them at Manny's for under 100$ a pop. Those were some loud DR's with a goldtop LP...great speaker, but I guess my tastes have changed.

Comment

Hands-down my favorite speakers. I've had a 417-8C and a 418 (15") for decades now -- they follow me from amp to amp.

Just bought a pair of 417As -- haven't been able to turn up any info on what differentiated them from the 417B or 417-8C -- any info?

Comment

Working...
                X