banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Michigan 12's? (& what do aluminum dust caps do?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Michigan 12's? (& what do aluminum dust caps do?)

Anyone tried them? How close are the Michigans (ceramic) to Electro Voice EVM12L's?

Also, What effect does and aluminum dust cap have on tone? I just think they look really kool, but I have no idea what effect they have on the sound of a speaker.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Re: Weber Michigan 12's? (& what do aluminum dust caps do?)

The Weber Michigan speakers are much closer in spec to the old SRO EV's...not all that close to an EVM12L IMO...if you really want an EVM speaker just buy one...they pop up used all the time and don;t go for too much cash. As for the aluminum dust caps they add s good bit of high end detail IMO...very harsh IMO for almost every playing style and tone out there but the guys that do like them really do like them...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      The Weber Michigan speakers are much closer in spec to the old SRO EV's...not all that close to an EVM12L IMO...if you really want an EVM speaker just buy one...they pop up used all the time and don;t go for too much cash. As for the aluminum dust caps they add s good bit of high end detail IMO...very harsh IMO for almost every playing style and tone out there but the guys that do like them really do like them...
      Ahh ok, yeah I had heard that they were based on the SRO's, but had also heard the Ceramic one sounded more like EVM12L's. So I wasn't sure. I've no idea what an SRO sounds like really, never heard one that I know of. What kinda difference's are there between the SRO's and the EVM's?

I'm not sure I like the idea of buying a used speaker really. I'm sure thats probably what I'll end up doing, considering there doesn't seem to be anything else even close to EVM12L's (not even the reissue EVM12L "classic" from what I've heard). I've just never bought a used speaker before, not many new speakers either. So I'm not sure what to look for, to make sure I'm getting one thats not gonna die soon after I get it.

Comment

The first SRO's were alnico then they switched to a ceramic version and that speaker sort of became the EVM so I guess there is some family ties there, and to be honest a lot of what I think about when I think EV is in both (or really all 3) of those speakers.

That said I feel like the vibe of an EVM is still quite different from that of an SRO...

I'd just get a used one... no bigie really, if it works it's all good...thats a tough speaker to kill so I wouldn't worry too much!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          The first SRO's were alnico then they switched to a ceramic version and that speaker sort of became the EVM so I guess there is some family ties there, and to be honest a lot of what I think about when I think EV is in both (or really all 3) of those speakers.

That said I feel like the vibe of an EVM is still quite different from that of an SRO...

I'd just get a used one... no bigie really, if it works it's all good...thats a tough speaker to kill so I wouldn't worry too much!
          Kool, thanks for all the info man.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
            Kool, thanks for all the info man.
            Paper domes sound better. On the subject of comparing a well broken in weber michigan and an old evm 12L in an a/b comparison that was weighted fairly using an ART SLA 1 studio linear amp for this assessment because it is a stereo studio linear amp (my guitar rig is tubes 12ax7 longplates 1950s and 6L6 winged C current productions..) the 2 vol. knobs were easiest to handle for this quick back and forth... it's in the rack with my students amp modeling ,bbe etc....

It could clearly be heard at high gain engl savage 120 sound that the evm 12L had more detail and levels of harmonics while maintaining a very tight low end, whereas the Weber Michigan had a loose almost flubby low end with the sound smearing going up thru the upper register...... this really told the story because nicey nice musical sounds are not as clear cut as to how the layers of sound stack up, the bloom and soundstage with respect to positioning of the increased harmonics at high gain shows what's what very easily. The 12L is even more musical and holds together dimensionally (sound) and higher volumes....

The result of this is that I just bought another broken in evm 12L to go with the one I compared with and they will both go into a 2x12 cab and take the place of the Michigans... the cab is already much heavier after being modified, so 38 pounds of speaker in a 42 pound cabinet is ok... I'll just eat a good meal and stay flexible..... seriously, the evm 12L sounds shockingly better on all levels to the Weber Michigans... loads of harmonics and frequency level dimension and detail are very important at brutally high gain. This is my IMO.

I'm selling 3 weber Michigan speakers 12"

Comment

Working...
            X