Peavey Penta opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Penta opinions?

Has anyone here had the opprtunity to plug into a Peavey Penta and give a listen? Anyone used one to gig or record with?

From what I've read about it, it sounds like it'd be up my alley and I might pick a Penta head when I have funds, but I've never plugged into one and actually heard one myself. Probably regardless of what you guys think, I should make it a point to do that before plunking down that kind of cash.

What are your thoughts if you're played one?
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Re: Peavey Penta opinions?

It is IMO one of the better PV amps out there...Im not a fan of PV amps in general but the Penta was decent. I didn't think it was amazing but it offered several different tones with the penta control plus it's set up where oyu can pick 2 different penta options and footswitch between them which was a hand idea. I would guess with some good tubes and maybe through a killer cab it would be even better. I will say this, like almosty every PV amp I;ve ever played though it felt cheep to me...that might not matter to you but it bothers me. however, and I would tell you this about ANY amp...play before you buy!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I really like the way it's laid out, with a rotary dial, and the ability to switch between any 2 of the tones on the rotary. I wish more companies would use rotary dials for tone shaping.
      The Bogner Metropolis and Matchless DC-30 also have rotaries.

I've played the Penta a few different times, through it's matching cab, and it's not bad, but it didn't blow me away. Only a couple tones on the rotary were really good enough, and it borders the price range of much better sounding amps. I think Peavey amps like the Penta, 5150's, Classics, and JSX's are a better deal on the used market. I'd have a hard time paying the new prices on them, when I could pay the same for a used highend amp.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
        I really like the way it's laid out, with a rotary dial, and the ability to switch between any 2 of the tones on the rotary. I wish more companies would use rotary dials for tone shaping.
        The Bogner Metropolis and Matchless DC-30 also have rotaries.

I've played the Penta a few different times, through it's matching cab, and it's not bad, but it didn't blow me away. Only a couple tones on the rotary were really good enough, and it borders the price range of much better sounding amps. I think Peavey amps like the Penta, 5150's, Classics, and JSX's are a better deal on the used market. I'd have a hard time paying the new prices on them, when I could pay the same for a used highend amp.
        Couldn't agree more.

Tried the Penta and just wasn't feeling it. Peavey does make some really nice sounding amps though and you really can't go wrong with a Classic series amp, 5150 or JSX used.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I liked the Penta I tried, but it's more amp than I need these days--I already have Mesa Mark III Coliseum 200 watt head for when I want to swing a wrecking ball!

The Penta is typical of the high-powered amps Peavey has made since the 70's--if you want great tone, crank it. My Rock Master, the VTM, the 5150--they sounded great--but I had to have them BRUTALLY loud. The Mark III half stack that I have now sounds better at a lower volume, and keeps that tone beyond the point at which your red blood cells start to get pulverized!

I liked the Penta, and I liked the cosmetics--but it's not the amp for me at this time.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks guys.
            It kinda slipped my mind the Penta is a 140 watt beast. If it's gotta be cranked to sound its best, it probably isn't what I'm looking for.

The 5 switchable voicings make it appealing if you're looking for an amp to record with, but since I'd be recording in a home studio, I'd probably be better off looking at a low wattage amp if I decided to get another one.
            "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
            Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
            guitar pic site
            Original prog rock on soundcloud
            Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
            Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

I thought it was pretty cool when I tried it but I was more impressed with what it could do than what it sounded like. It was brand new out of the box using some weird Dean so it really wasn't a great trial. Some very neat ideas though, I would like to get my hands on one for a few rehearsals.

Most Peaveys suffer from pretty crap tubes out of the box I would imagine this to be no different.
              Last edited by Wattage; 11-30-2007, 06:22 PM.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I owned a Penta for about 3 months. It does the Marshall thing pretty well, so if your looking for that sound I say go for it. The build quality looks and feels cheap, so used is the way to go. Its not worth what they are asking new. I got lucky and got the half stack for $900 + tax. For my needs it was overkill as you really have to crank it to get a good sound.

Comment

This thread has been lying dormant for several years now. Is anyone out there still playing through a Penta?

Comment

I dunno but I thought the Penta switch was cool with the pics only label. Wonder what my amps would sound like if I could set them to "girl" or "cactus" lol!! but I thought the rest of the head was freaking goofy looking

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Penta is kind of a beast at 140 watts. I guess you'd have to be happy with the pre-amp distortion or use overdrive/distortion pedals for smaller venues. It would probably take a fairly large venue to push the power amp into overdrive. The voicing selector switch is interesting, modeling, tube style. I kind of like the "beast" part.

Comment

There is no WAY they intended a 140 watt power section to get into overdrive unless you play giant places.. Preamp, pedals, both, or clean. Deal.
                        Last edited by guitfiddle; 01-30-2019, 11:57 PM.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Well, 140 watts will get you all kinds of clean overhead.

Comment

Some amps have a tasty preamp and it's no sweat if you only ever use 20% of the power amp's capabilities. Peavey had that jsx I liked a lot, never tried one above two or three on the master, but great gain tones by my standards still.
                            The jvm does not need to be opened up to sound pretty dang good to me.
                            The headroom is there for maximum punch and no squashing of tight percussive start-stop riffs. And pedals of all kinds.
                            For classic rock and metal some squish is good but these kind get a lot of compression in the preamp anyways.

The jsx did not feel cheap to me but the Windsor did. Raspy. Didn't like the coldness of the first valve King amps. The second series I liked ok. Wonder about the Penta

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

There's a reason this thread was dormant for over a decade and nobody uses these amps. They're not cool or special or interesting. They're Peaveys from like 20 years after Peavey stopped making cool things.
                              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                              X