banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boutique Pedals & Non Alkaline batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boutique Pedals & Non Alkaline batteries?

The batteries will probably be dead on the shelf before you ever get to use them all.

Comment

Old carbon batteries will sag in voltage and current when you hit them with a high draw. New style batteries like a Duracell wont sag in voltage and current. Can make a pedal sound different but will NOT stay consistent over a full set. I always run a power supply so I have a more consistent tome through an entire set. It's like the difference in running a tube rec or a SS rec in a tube amp.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

So we’re talking about a difference in feel...right?

Not so much a difference in tone or sound?

That’s something I mention a lot.

And not everyone notices a difference in feel, and those who don’t might deny any difference at all, depending on how they play, how they pick, etc.

And those who don’t might call those of us who do “cork sniffers”...or worse.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

i notice a tone difference in a fuzzface circuit, especially germanium ones. in my red dot sunface i wont use anything but an old style carbon 9v.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
            So we’re talking about a difference in feel...right?

Not so much a difference in tone or sound?

That’s something I mention a lot.

And not everyone notices a difference in feel, and those who don’t might deny any difference at all, depending on how they play, how they pick, etc.

And those who don’t might call those of us who do “cork sniffers”...or worse.
            Mostly feel but also tonal differences. While may use old carbon batteries in the studio I personally will never use them live because they die so quickly that in a long set your tone will change. I prefer the constancy of a power supply live as it never gets in that something is just not right but cant put my finger on territory like a low battery can.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

i wouldnt use anything besides the carbon in a fuzzface. even the silicon keeley blacktop sounds much better with the old battery and they last a good long time in those devices. id never use a digital delay on a carbon battery for a gig, power supply if at all possible

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                Mostly feel but also tonal differences. While may use old carbon batteries in the studio I personally will never use them live because they die so quickly that in a long set your tone will change. I prefer the constancy of a power supply live as it never gets in that something is just not right but cant put my finger on territory like a low battery can.
                Of course this is what Eric Johnson alludes to. And he’s right.

But a lot of guys who don’t hear and feel the difference make fun of him and say he’s full of...you know what.

But he’s right. And so are you and Jeremy.
                “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                  Of course this is what Eric Johnson alludes to. And he’s right.

But a lot of guys who don’t hear and feel the difference make fun of him and say he’s full of...you know what.

But he’s right. And so are you and Jeremy.
                  I have to imagine those that are making fun of him are thinking Energizer vs Duracell in a Tube Screamer, not Carbon Zinc vs Alkaline in a Fuzz Face.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I purchased a Skreddy Pig Mine fuzz pedal last year. Best sounding fuzz I've ever owned. Nails DSOTM "Time" fuzz tone! I run mine in the reduced voltage bay on a Voodoo Lab PP2 power supply.

Comment

the skreddy is muff based i believe and i havent noticed muffs being very sensitive to what power the use

Comment

I actually started running it without the sag, as I don't hear much of a difference.

Comment

i kinda wouldnt think you would since its muff based. i havent tried the sag on the voodoo lab with my germanium fuzz since there is no power supply option but i do like it on the keeley

Comment

Working...
                          X