Just got a crunch box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got a crunch box.

20% off with free shipping for the 4th of july music 123 sale...$102 total.

lots of other 20% off deals on single items with coupon code...I was suprised to see MI Audio included. ends today though...
    #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
    #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
    #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
    #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
    #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
    Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
    Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
    Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Re: Just got a crunch box.

Great deal! -I work for an MI dealer three hours flight from the factory and I'd struggle to get that price.

The crunchbox snuck up on me. Didn't really dig it the first time I heard it, but I tried one again recently through different gear and thought it was really cool. I'm seriously thinking about adding one to my board for a little high gain fun.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I'm pretty much an OD and amp guy. Never really run a clean amp and get my dirt solely from a box because it is never complex or real enough.

but this thing really gives you your dirt in a smart way that it does not sound like buzzy death. But because of this it does not work for everyone. I've put off getting mine since they first came out just because I'm more into overdrive.

It really is the british stack in a box. And its well built and not super expensive like the similar red pedal from Mad Prof. and a Radial Plexitube.

I wil also include that I hated the OCD...
      Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by LoFiBrian View Post
        I'm pretty much an OD and amp guy. Never really run a clean amp and get my dirt solely from a box because it is never complex or real enough.

but this thing really gives you your dirt in a smart way that it does not sound like buzzy death. But because of this it does not work for everyone. I've put off getting mine since they first came out just because I'm more into overdrive.

It really is the british stack in a box. And its well built and not super expensive like the similar red pedal from Mad Prof. and a Radial Plexitube.

I wil also include that I hated the OCD...
        right on. I didn't dig the OCD I borrowed, either. Thought to be fair there's a lot of variation out there with those. Same with Lovepedal's eternity. I heard one that sounded killer and one that sounded awful.

Comment

well i had heard for a long time of all these older guys who used to use a Rat and a twin for years and they had converted to a OCD. So I barrowed one from a friend and later tried out a newer revision in a shop near me. Just to see if it had the goods.

Both sounded like crap. Overall kind of blurry and unfocused. Like there was this odd responce in the mids. I really tried to see the good in it. But it just made me believe that getting all your dirt from anything but a Fuzz circuit was just going to give you bad tone.

Though the box of rock does sound like a JTM45 which is cool. But im more of a MV JMP 2204 guy as far as "M" amps go. So that leaves:

The Mad Prof. Mighty Red Dist. ($300!)
          Radial British Type Pedals ($200+)
          Wampler Plextortion ($200 and a waiting list to build.)
          DS-1 Mods (Obsolete 80's Turd Polishers...Never get enough Vol. to reach unity anyways)
          "M" Guv'nor - I never saw anything worth anything here. When i was 14 I would use it to play Alice In Chains songs.
          CM Plexitone (Pricey and alot of knobs and functions to play with. But better than Radial.)

I'm hoping that my search is done here.

Next I'm looking into a Malekko echo..mainly because you can switch between a buffer and a True Bypass situation.

Comment

Pricey and alot of knobs and functions to play with.
            Eh....it is so simple
            And friggin clean boost..
            Hehe well the CB is a nice take on the old Guv'nor...a better one too.

Comment

well i had heard for a long time of all these older guys who used to use a Rat and a twin for years and they had converted to a OCD. So I barrowed one from a friend and later tried out a newer revision in a shop near me. Just to see if it had the goods.

Both sounded like crap. Overall kind of blurry and unfocused. Like there was this odd responce in the mids. I really tried to see the good in it. But it just made me believe that getting all your dirt from anything but a Fuzz circuit was just going to give you bad tone.

Though the box of rock does sound like a JTM45 which is cool. But im more of a MV JMP 2204 guy as far as "M" amps go. So that leaves:

The Mad Prof. Mighty Red Dist. ($300!)
              Radial British Type Pedals ($200+)
              Wampler Plextortion ($200 and a waiting list to build.)
              DS-1 Mods (Obsolete 80's Turd Polishers...Never get enough Vol. to reach unity anyways)
              "M" Guv'nor - I never saw anything worth anything here. When i was 14 I would use it to play Alice In Chains songs.
              CM Plexitone (Pricey and alot of knobs and functions to play with. But better than Radial.)

I'm hoping that my search is done here.

Next I'm looking into a Malekko echo..mainly because you can switch between a buffer and a True Bypass situation.
              Don't rule out the G2D Classic as well. But yeah, you've got your 800-alike search pretty well sorted.

Comment

Just try pass it all....

The next person that says se PT is 800 alike, wins a free switch

Comment

Mr. Rid, I know that the CM PT isnt past the relm of a MV m word amp tonaly. I just include it because it will get you to the hot rod M gain structure and sound real and complex.

I want a simple pedal that will go from JTM45 to JCM900 SL-X. Dial in your tone control to taste, dial your volume to match unity of the bypassed signal and then crank your gain to just before saturated sweet spot. Instant lead sound box right there. Im hoping the CB will do this for me.

Though i discounted the BOR because it doesnot have enough past that of a bassman or JTM45. How is the Rust Driver?

HGs, Ill look into the G2D classic.

Comment

Mr. Rid, I know that the CM PT isnt past the relm of a MV m word amp tonaly. I just include it because it will get you to the hot rod M gain structure and sound real and complex.

I want a simple pedal that will go from JTM45 to JCM900 SL-X. Dial in your tone control to taste, dial your volume to match unity of the bypassed signal and then crank your gain to just before saturated sweet spot. Instant lead sound box right there. Im hoping the CB will do this for me.

Though i discounted the BOR because it doesnot have enough past that of a bassman or JTM45. How is the Rust Driver?

HGs, Ill look into the G2D classic.
                    Unfortunately the G2D will stop short of JCM900 gain levels. Perhaps the Radial Hot british is worth a look, though I think the crunchbox is also a great choice.

Comment

CB is awesome because its so small and runs of 9v

Hot British is a fine sounding pedal but it takes up alot of space and needs its own 15v 400ma supply

CB is just a cool little red stomper you can stick anywhere on your board, set it and forget it and its instead cranked JCM800 at the feet.

I might not base a rig around it but for those that want to rock every now and then its a brilliant pedal for a great price
                      -Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom- C5/59 Hybrid Bridge/Fernades Vh-1 PAF neck
                      -Epi Goldtop - Custom Shop Mike Ness p90's
                      -Epi Masterbilt AJ500R rosewood
                      -Fender Classic Player 60's strat CS 69'

-Gretsch Black Phoenix - TV Jones Classics
                      -Danelectro Dano Pro Baritone

Comment

The CB is one pedal that I'd like to try. I agree on the comments about the OCD. Tried it twice and never got along with it. The only OD I'm using now is a Boss SD-1 with Keeley Mods, which is great, but I would still like to give the CB a whirl.

Comment

I love my Crunch Box. I've owned a lot of nice gear and it really is pissed-off Marshall in a box. I just sold a Splawn Quickrod (killer amp) because I really do like my Crunch Box through the clean side of my DSL50 better. Blasphemy, I know.

Comment

For allround M like tones...the CB is quite likely the good choice.
                            The Rustdriver or maybe the Zen(I know it is Mumble like drive, but it can get into that old smooth JTM45 territory)
                            Maybe the Xotic BB or BB+?

Comment

Agreed that the Crunch Box is the best value of the 'Marshallesque' pedals. Another contender, particularly if you are running into a Fender BF type amp, is the Jetter Gain Stage Purple ($200)... http://www.jettergear.com/products/gainstagePurple.cfm which is more plexi than JCM 800. Here's some clips I did of the Crunch Box at various stages of gain... http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5840440 and a comparison between the Zendrive and the Jetter Purple... http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6472950 These are all with a Strat into a Fender Super Champ. The CB is still the best value of the bunch!

Cheers.....................................wahwah
                              Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers
                              Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                              Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Working...
                              X