D-Lab amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Lab amps

I recently found one of these D-Lab amps on ebay. Had never heard of them before. I checked out some of his demos on youtube, thought they sounded good so I figured I'd give one a try! My model is the Minuteman II, it's a 3 watt head with a 6X4 rectifier tube, a 12AX7 and a 6AQ5. It has 4 and 8 ohm outputs on the back. I made a few changes to the layout, picked my colors and custom labelling, and also had him add a diode mode which he has on another of his amplifiers, which he describes as giving a cleaner sound and a faster response. Once I decided on specs he got it together in a matter of a few days, and will be shipping it out tomorrow. Another piece of gear to sit and wait for, but I think it's going to sound great! Check out his website at www.d-labamps.com. Terry is a great guy to deal with. Here's a few shots of mine:

Originally posted by Mattt
    If $10 gets me a pedal that sounds as sweet as my own farts... then i'm buying it!
    Originally posted by ginormous
    This beer is so cold, it did yo' mama and made your daddy watch!

Re: D-Lab amps

Pretty cool custom amp there. I read through everything on his website. No indication of prices even though he did say it's not boutique prices, but still probably out of my league. I bought my 6L6 tube powered Pignose G40V's when they were blowing them out on GoingToday.com for $184 shipped. Pretty sure these will still be double or triple that price, but at least it is made in the USA not China like the Pignose tube amps.

Comment

I paid $250 for mine, it cost a little more for having the diode option added. Not bad for a customized amp! The standard MM2 model goes for $235.
      If $10 gets me a pedal that sounds as sweet as my own farts... then i'm buying it!

Comment

I might have to contact him about making me a 6L6 tube head. Does he strictly make sub 5 watt amps? I might want something AROUND 20-40 watts.

Comment

I'd drop him an email, he should be able to build you something with a little more juice. Again, he's a great guy to deal with!

Comment

OK, I'll respond after six years without comment on this unique company. D-Lab stuff is first rate. I live close enough to Terry that I've been able to check out his toys and he's an amazingly knowledgeable person who grew up building tube amps with his father and uncle. I had him make me a custom 6V6 7 watt amp two years ago and have really liked it. It delivers a kind of "chiming" sound when warm and pushed a bit; truly an impressive piece for the bottom end of his lineup. He's currently building me a small class "A" with reverb for my most recent floor radio to guitar amp conversion. I find the prices very reasonable for what you get and custom stuff is not a problem for him, more of an inspiration.

Comment

Working...
            X